Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Countdown to Free Agency (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
While we're bringing up moves that we know will make people gag, Winnik is a UFA, has been scoring at a rate of over 20 the last few seasons, and only made league minimum on his last contract so good luck to him commanding more than a million this time round.

The issue with Winnik more than anything else is that he brings nothing this team needs. The only thing he'd bring is being a 4th line winger who can also play center, which may be considered a need. But outside of that? He's soft and doesn't generate offense, so he misses 2 of the biggest needs on the team. Kunitz is at least physical, so that's something that the team needs.

I really wish there was another cheap LW option out there that could potentially pay off really well for the 4LW spot. Someone like Comeau in 2014 would be absolutely perfect. I'd rather not gamble on guys who are super old or unproven, and I don't want to spend over $2 million dollars for a 4LW.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Glancing through a few names, here are potential UFA bottom-six forwards that interest me to a certain degree:

- Derek Grant (had a solid season for the ducks, a big versatile body; not particularly gritty)
- Shawn Matthias (big and fast, but has not produced as of late; soft)
- Tim Schaller (I doubt that he is not re-signed, but the perfect utility player that fits the system)
- Curtis McKenzie (power-forward type that can bury the puck at times and does not mind dropping the mitts; slower and does not kill penalties)

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'm assuming he'll be back and contending for a spot unless used in a trade for whatever reason. Hopefully that's actually contending with other guys and he gets waived if he loses out.

Incidentally, while we're talking potential 4th liners, I hope they consider Jooris for 13th forward. He didn't produce anything, but he made a big positive impression on me and I like his versatility.

JR feels like he needs some "fresh legs" or "new blood" or whatever (just to reiterate, I'm in no way advocating for Kunitz as a replacement or suggesting he accomplishes this).

Kuhnhackl, an irrelevant player whose work ethic was suspect at times last season--and who is arbitration eligible--would be one of the easiest players to replace to try to accomplish this.

He's just not going to be here in the fall. Rowney, either.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
The Penguins would probably be losing Kessel in next offseason if the Penguins acquire Skinner. So you'd have both Skinner and Kessel for 1 year, but that's probably about it.

I have a question for people who watch Skinner more often than me. How "soft" is Skinner actually? He's 5'11" and 200 lbs, so he's not tiny like Sheary is. I'm not talking about bone crunching hits or anything like that, but is he a guy that gets muscled off the puck easily? I feel like Skinner has partially developed the "soft" tag because he has gotten a bunch of concussions off of hard hits.

1:50 ish shows how he protects the puck. His skating is so damn elite. He strikes me as someone with Patrick Kane type elusiveness where you'll hit him but youll rarely get a solid hit.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I wonder if it’s possible that JR is looking at Skinner as a Kessel replacement? Acquire Skinner and then trade Kessel for help on defense.

And please no Kunitz. please

I would get skinner and then trade Kessel next offseason where the chance of a serious decline increases due to his age. I think it would extend the window to have a 26-31 year old Jeff Skinner as Phil is on his way out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

1:50 ish shows how he protects the puck. His skating is so damn elite. He strikes me as someone with Patrick Kane type elusiveness where you'll hit him but youll rarely get a solid hit.

He’s so god damn good. I can’t believe there are people saying they wouldn’t trade for him.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He’s so god damn good. I can’t believe there are people saying they wouldn’t trade for him.

No, there are people questioning the acquisition costs of him as well as whether we can afford to keep him here long term...if we could so easily unload Kessel for a good return, it would have already been done...he’s been on the trade block...why do you think Sully’s coming out now to say he loves to have Phil on his team, lol...

It will only get worse next year...you realize if we sign him long term our entire top 6 forwards will be making $5.5 mil or more in 2019-20 after Jake gets paid....and we will still need another center because Brass will be gone....it’s not reasonable to have your team look like NHL 19....the Caps didn’t win that way this year (they had the worst forward group they’ve had in years) and we didn’t win that way either...those teams won by having young cheap forwards come in and bring some energy backchecking like mad....

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
JR feels like he needs some "fresh legs" or "new blood" or whatever (just to reiterate, I'm in no way advocating for Kunitz as a replacement or suggesting he accomplishes this).

Kuhnhackl, an irrelevant player whose work ethic was suspect at times last season--and who is arbitration eligible--would be one of the easiest players to replace to try to accomplish this.

He's just not going to be here in the fall. Rowney, either.

That's just not the impression I've got from interviews with Rutherford about RFAs and how Kuhnhackl will have to produce next year. If you're right, I shall not complain.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Roussel would be a much better option for the 4th if we're going the "grit" route.
We definitely need more such players. No question we lacked in that regard this post season. Roussel or some such player upfront and a Cole or some such player on defense.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Kunitz stepped up his game in both Cup runs and I give him kudos, but we had to suffer through really really bad regular seasons from him to get there. With Tampa it looks like the elevating his game days are over too. There are better vets available. For the 4th line.

Yep. I'd love to see Pouliot here as a cheap depth option. Or Calvert. There's some others as well, but those would be my top 2 options for a depth winger.

While we're bringing up moves that we know will make people gag, Winnik is a UFA, has been scoring at a rate of over 20 the last few seasons, and only made league minimum on his last contract so good luck to him commanding more than a million this time round.

I'd like someone faster then him. He wouldn't be the worst option, but he wouldn't be all that high on my list.

Last edited:

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

That’s how you can tell the stat watchers from the people that actually watch the games and players. Same bullshit when not considering the eye test when it comes to Sheary and Rust.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No, there are people questioning the acquisition costs of him as well as whether we can afford to keep him here long term...if we could so easily unload Kessel for a good return, it would have already been done...he’s been on the trade block...why do you think Sully’s coming out now to say he loves to have Phil on his team, lol...

It will only get worse next year...you realize if we sign him long term our entire top 6 forwards will be making $5.5 mil or more in 2019-20 after Jake gets paid....and we will still need another center because Brass will be gone....it’s not reasonable to have your team look like NHL 19....the Caps didn’t win that way this year (they had the worst forward group they’ve had in years) and we didn’t win that way either...those teams won by having young cheap forwards come in and bring some energy backchecking like mad....

So, the solution is to keep Sheary, and Rust who will be making 3 mil+ each?

I see no issue moving Sheary and Sprong for a player like Skinner who is likely better than what Sprong will ever be.

You don’t only need to move Phil. Maybe Murray is terrible this year and plummets his value.

Maybe you give Jake a two year bridge deal.

Maybe Oleksiak makes Maatta redundant at a cost controlled contract.

Maybe Jarry makes Murray redundant by winning two rounds in the playoffs.

If you can get Skinner you do it. Especially if is a minimal deal like Sheary and Sprong.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I see Aston-Reese as a regular next season. He brings a lot of the things most of the names being bandied about bring, and he's cheap. And he even was good enough for Sullivan to utilize him on the PK. I think he replaces Kuhnhackl as the fourth-line LW, with a chance to move up if what he brings to the table is required on a higher line...which is possible.

I also don't think we will qualify Kuhnhackl. I don't see the point.

So, two thirds of a pretty good fourth line could be Aston-Reese and Sheahan. We might need a fourth-line right wing when the dust settles. Or, we might start Sprong on that line and work him up as the season moves along.

Basically, before we start bringing in fourth liners, we need to figure out the first three lines. We should not work backwards.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rust, Sheary and a 1st to Carolina for Skinner with an extension
Find a Comeau 2.0 in free agency for under $1 million
Trade Hunwick for nothing
Sign Jack Johnson for 1 year at $2.5 million in free agency

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
Skinner-Malkin-Hornqvist
ZAR-Brassard-Kessel
Hagelin-Sheahan-Comeau 2.0

Dumoulin-Letang