Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Countdown to Free Agency (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think Sheary is valueless where we have to package him with something else to move him, but Hunwick is. There are a lot of teams that have serious trouble scoring, like Edmonton, Vancouver, Buffalo or Carolina, that’d be happy to add a fast 20 goal guy that can play either wing.

Particularly Edmonton. Sheary, for his faults, has the speed to keep up with Sid and could do the same with McDavid.

I also think Buffalo is a likely destination since they need scoring and wingers badly and Botterill originally signed Sheary and watched him come up in the Pens system.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
That's seems like an awful lot to be giving up without any return just to clear some salary.

Sheary isn't a negative asset at $3m per year. He is still a guy that gives you 20 goals despite his other faults.

Could maybe see moving Sheary & Hunwick together for little return but not Jarry as well.

You’re right but, as the article mentioned, JR has tried to peddle them with little interest and the team needs to clear cap space without giving up their best players...they may need to pay someone something to clear those salaries if they’re not trading or at least getting a good return for attempted trades for Phil etc....

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And again, Guentzel isn't a rookie anymore. Kunitz isn't going to play over Guentzel, that's just a fact. You're making up a scenario to say no to Kunitz, you must think Sullivan is some sort of dumbass to think he'd take Guentzel off of Crosby's line for Kunitz.

No, the risk here is Sullivan playing Kunitz with Malkin. As of right now, their LW options are Rust (who Sullivan likes on RW), Hagelin (who very well could suck) and Sheary (who very well could suck). If you add an actual top-6 LW option, Kunitz isn't going to be playing with Malkin, either.

The risk is that Kunitz would play anywhere in the line-up, and he could. All it takes is a line failing to score for a couple games and Sully wanting to move things around with the rationale that they would try "spreading around the scoring" for depth. We've seen this movie too many times.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The risk is that Kunitz would play anywhere in the line-up, and he could. All it takes is a line failing to score for a couple games and Sully wanting to move things around with the rationale that they would try "spreading around the scoring" for depth. We've seen this movie too many times.

And Mike Sullivan isn't going to be playing a 39 year old Kunitz over 2 60 point players in Guentzel and Skinner, if the Penguins acquire Skinner. Again, you're making up a scenario to say no to Kunitz. If they don't get a winger like Skinner, that risk increases and is actually a thing now. But if you have Skinner? There's not a chance in hell Kunitz breaks into your top-6 if you have 2 absolutely legit top-6 LWers. The worst case scenario would be Kunitz on your 3rd line if Hagelin sucks.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Not only that, but Kunitz had 1 point in 17 playoff games.

Why the f*** do we need that? Why? How does that help us when half our problem last year was too many plugs who couldn't score in our bottom 6? What dimension am I in right now?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And Mike Sullivan isn't going to be playing a 39 year old Kunitz over 2 60 point players in Guentzel and Skinner, if the Penguins acquire Skinner. Again, you're making up a scenario to say no to Kunitz. If they don't get a winger like Skinner, that risk increases and is actually a thing now. But if you have Skinner? There's not a chance in hell Kunitz breaks into your top-6 if you have 2 absolutely legit top-6 LWers. The worst case scenario would be Kunitz on your 3rd line if Hagelin sucks.

Sure there is, and I outlined why: "spreading out the scoring for depth".

If you dismiss that, you're doing it against all available evidence.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Kessel
Skinner-Brass-Rust

Try to tell me that couldn't happen.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sure there is, and I outlined why: "spreading out the scoring for depth".

If you dismiss that, you're doing it against all available evidence.

The Penguins aren't going to play freaking Guentzel or Skinner on the 4th line, which is what Kunitz in the top-6 would require. Dear lord.

If anything, Sullivan wanting to spread out the scoring is evidence against Kunitz playing in the top-6. It supports the idea that Sullivan will want Kessel on the 3rd line, because that's what he has shown to like to this point. You're not going to be playing either Guentzel or Skinner opposite of Kessel on the 3rd line.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Would rather bring back Fehr than Kunitz for the 4th line

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
You’re right but, as the article mentioned, JR has tried to peddle them with little interest and the team needs to clear cap space without giving up their best players...they may need to pay someone something to clear those salaries if they’re not trading or at least getting a good return for attempted trades for Phil etc....
On Hunwick I can see having to do something of that nature - maybe a mid round pick or something like that.

Sheary I just don't buy that we would have to pay somebody to take him. If we are that desperate to move his salary then stick him on waivers, somebody will take him. Otherwise find a way to make him productive in our lineup, heck stick him back with Sid & Jake and see if they can get it going again. It would be a mistake to give up a decent asset for nothing never mind paying somebody to take him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
See above. That top 9 is 100% believable, and you know it.

You used "spreading out the scoring for depth" as a justification while ignoring what Sullivan's go to move is for spreading out the scoring depth: Kessel on the 3rd line.

If the option is only Kunitz or no Kunitz, I'm on the no Kunitz train. If the Penguins get a legit top-6 LWer, I'm for Kunitz because my concerns with adding Kunitz greatly diminish when you get better options in front of him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
To play Skinner with Sid, you're taking Jake off of Sid's line.

Skinner is decent defensively, so at least that's a huge plus. But if you're adding Skinner, it's depth on the LW.

Wouldn't really bother me - despite the success they've had. In any case, it would push one of Skinner, Guentzel or Kessel to L3 (assuming we could pull it off). That's one hell of a lineup. The issue I see with it, is we'd either have to move Rust or Sprong for him - unless there's a way to do it with Sheary++, and I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Sprong I think we need, as he provides a little insurance should we want to move Kessel and re-sign Skinner (I don't think we can keep both long term - assuming we could keep both this season). And even if we let Skinner walk as a FA, Sprong will still be his replacement.

We know Hags and Rust wold have value around the league but would Sheary, or do other GMs think he's a product of Crosby?

His 50pt season? Almost certainly. However he showed this year that he's still good for 15-20 goals regardless of where he plays or who he plays with.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
You used "spreading out the scoring for depth" as a justification while ignoring what Sullivan's go to move is for spreading out the scoring depth: Kessel on the 3rd line.

Except in 2017, where Crosby lost any hope at an Art Ross with Kunitz stapled to him when Sheary got hurt.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Skinner adds extra options. Don't believe that scenario at your peril.

If we sign Kunitz, I'll have a little laugh between the tears when it happens.

So does Guentzel, but Sullivan has never used Guentzel as a guy carrying the 3rd line offensively while Kessel is in the top-6. It's pretty clear how Sullivan plans on "spreading out the depth" in the top-9 if he does that, it's always Kessel on the 3rd line.

Except in 2017, where Crosby lost any hope at an Art Ross with Kunitz stapled to him when Sheary got hurt.

How is that relevant to my post? And how is that relevant to now when the Penguins have a proven Guentzel who will be attached to Crosby's hip for the foreseeable future?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So does Guentzel, but Sullivan has never used Guentzel as a guy carrying the 3rd line offensively while Kessel is in the top-6. It's pretty clear how Sullivan plans on "spreading out the depth" in the top-9 if he does that, it's always Kessel on the 3rd line.

Even this year, it wasn't always Kessel on the 3rd line. Malkin was literally on Kessel's most frequent line this past season: DobberHockey Presents FrozenPool's NHL Line Combinations

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I can't remember how many players unavailable we had when Kuhnhackl got his shot with Geno, but I really don't think its making up things to say that at some point Sully's line lottery machine will kick out "Best board play LW in the top 6".

If that guy is Kunitz, he'll be there.

Also, "Put two best wingers on L3" is totally in the Sully line lottery machine as well.

Does Roussel PK?

Did just under a minute a night in Dallas last year.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Interesting. I really do like the idea of us adding Skinner (esp. if we can get him re-signed to a decent deal), I just don't think that "moving Kessel out and Skinner in" alone brings us anything but a net loss. There have to be some other pretty significant moving parts here for us to become a better team.

Waiting on that JR sleight of hand.

All depends on what Skinner costs vs what we can get for Kessel.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
No, he's not. Both ZAR and Simon alone are better.

The ****ing guy had 1 point in 17 playoff games.

Hate to tell you but ZAR had the same number of points and Kuhn had one less, lol...at least he brings some guile and physicality to the fourth line...if he could remain there

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Kunitz stepped up his game in both Cup runs and I give him kudos, but we had to suffer through really really bad regular seasons from him to get there. With Tampa it looks like the elevating his game days are over too. There are better vets available. For the 4th line.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
giphy.gif
Just perfect. :biglaugh:

He and Orpeck can pal around with new assistant coach Adams.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hate to tell you but ZAR had the same number of points and Kuhn had one less, lol...at least he brings some guile and physicality to the fourth line...if he could remain there

ZAR was a rookie coming back from injury and he still scored the same number of points in about half as many games, which says about all you need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad