Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Countdown to Free Agency (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
There is no way Jake should ever find his way off Sids LW next year so I wouldn't be to worried about Kunitz coming back because of that.

If we are going to bring in an external 4th LW then it should be somebody that can PK.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's really good with his edges and around the net. He battles.

If anything, he battles too much because he keeps getting concussed. He's a bit like a young Crosby that way, albeit with nowhere near Crosby's strength along the boards.

Okay so the idea that he's extremely soft is just a meme then. That's kinda what I figured.

I have a question for people. Do the Penguins improve with swapping Rust and Sheary for Skinner and Kunitz if it works with the cap?

There is no way Jake should ever find his way off Sids LW next year so I wouldn't be to worried about Kunitz coming back because of that.

If we are going to bring in an external 4th LW then it should be somebody that can PK.

I'd be more concerned with him playing with Malkin, not Crosby. But at the same point, if you get Skinner, what even are the chances that Kunitz gets back into the top-6? I think the chances would almost be zero, the only possibility is Kunitz taking Hagelin's spot on the 3rd line.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I would take Kunitz at the league minimum for the fourth line. That's it.

Completely agree.

Except that for the unfortunate fact that literally nothing suggests they would only use him in that capacity. It's an interesting idea in theory with no basis in reality.

Not only that, but I would much, much rather use our young guys in a 4th line role than a Kunitz who's so far past his best before date that if he were milk, he'd look more like blue cheese.

Vega

Nov 25, 2005
Socal
I wonder if it’s possible that JR is looking at Skinner as a Kessel replacement? Acquire Skinner and then trade Kessel for help on defense.

And please no Kunitz. please

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Except that for the unfortunate fact that literally nothing suggests they would only use him in that capacity. It's an interesting idea in theory with no basis in reality.

If you can bring in Skinner, I think the chances of Kunitz getting played in a role above that are greatly diminished.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If you can bring in Skinner, I think the chances of Kunitz getting played in a role above that are greatly diminished.

You say this like Kunitz wasn't getting played over Guentzel the last time he was on the team.

It wasn't a lack of options that moved him up the line-up. It was a lack of common sense.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You say this like Kunitz wasn't getting played over Guentzel the last time he was on the team.

Wasn't that for only like 2 games when Guentzel was struggling against Ottawa? Yeah, I'm not really worried about that. Guentzel is also a lock for the Penguins top-6 at this point, Guentzel now is much different than rookie Guentzel

Reactions: BrokenStick

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Okay so the idea that he's extremely soft is just a meme then. That's kinda what I figured.

I can't say that with 100% certainty since I don't watch the Canes regularly or anything but it's my impression from having seen him play both against us and occasionally flipping channels, etc.

I ask you this: If he was soft, would he be a good possession player? I'd say no. It takes a rare player who can be soff and still possess the puck well, because if you never battle for it it's hard to keep it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Not only that, but I would much, much rather use our young guys in a 4th line role than a Kunitz who's so far past his best before date that if he were milk, he'd look more like blue cheese.

Unfortunately Kunitz is a big improvement over any young guy we have or could play there right now...that says less about Kunitz than it does about our depth...

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Does anyone even remotely think Kunitz remains on the fourth line? Anyone willing to risk $ in a bet, or take a shot in a drinking game for each minute per game he plays alongside Sid? Better yet, a shot every time he bobbles a pass or ruins a potential Sid goal/assist?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think the Kunitz ship has sailed folks. The Pens didn't want him back last year. I doubt that changes a year later and with him a year older.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Kind of annoying seeing posts with Sprong on the top line to showcase how stacked the Pens are. Sprong is an unknown, last time he was up he wasn’t very good.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
If you'd pull off someone like Skinner via trade, the risks of Kunitz playing higher in the lineup dramatically fall. If the Penguins acquire a legit top-6 LWer, I'd be more interested in Kunitz.

You know full well Kunitz will eat into the time Guentzel spends with Sid.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Does anyone even remotely think Kunitz remains on the fourth line? Anyone willing to risk $ in a bet, or take a shot in a drinking game for each minute per game he plays alongside Sid? Better yet, a shot every time he bobbles a pass or ruins a potential Sid goal/assist?

If the Penguins add Jeff Skinner, who would he be playing above? I think there's borderline no chance he'd be playing with Crosby regardless of who else the Penguins would add, Guentzel's not getting moved from him. The real risk is him playing with Malkin, not Crosby. The problems with the Penguins in previous years is that guys like Hagelin have sucked or Sullivan isn't that fond of Rust on LW. If you actually get a good LWer, that's not going to be a problem. Sullivan's not going to play Kunitz over a natural LW who's playing well.

You know full well Kunitz will eat into the time Guentzel spends with Sid.

There is no chance that Kunitz would bump Guentzel off of Crosby's line. Absolutely no chance. You have to think Sullivan is a pure dumbass to believe he'd make that move.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Wasn't that for only like 2 games when Guentzel was struggling against Ottawa? Yeah, I'm not really worried about that. Guentzel is also a lock for the Penguins top-6 at this point, Guentzel now is much different than rookie Guentzel

And regularly during the season despite Guentzel being much more productive. Struggling rookie Guentzel was still light years better than 37 year old Kunitz.

But this is exactly the type of argument that would be trotted out when Kunitz moved into our top 6 if we were to sign him. A different standard applied to a young player and the exceptionally useless vet moved up.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Mackey also had another article suggesting Pens trade BUF Jarry
in exchange for taking Sheary and Hunwick’s contracts (buyout?)
That's seems like an awful lot to be giving up without any return just to clear some salary.

Sheary isn't a negative asset at $3m per year. He is still a guy that gives you 20 goals despite his other faults.

Could maybe see moving Sheary & Hunwick together for little return but not Jarry as well.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Unfortunately Kunitz is a big improvement over any young guy we have or could play there right now...that says less about Kunitz than it does about our depth...

No, he's not. Both ZAR and Simon alone are better.

The f***ing guy had 1 point in 17 playoff games.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There is no chance that Kunitz would bump Guentzel off of Crosby's line. Absolutely no chance. You have to think Sullivan is a pure dumbass to believe he'd make that move.

Sullivan isn't a dumbass overall.

He is, however, a complete, unrepentant dumbass when it comes to Kunitz, as he's proved time and again.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Yep. Even Tampa would over use him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And regularly during the season despite Guentzel being much more productive. Struggling rookie Guentzel was still light years better than 37 year old Kunitz.

But this is exactly the type of argument that would be trotted out when Kunitz moved into our top 6 if we were to sign him. A different standard applied to a young player and the exceptionally useless vet moved up.

And again, Guentzel isn't a rookie anymore. Kunitz isn't going to play over Guentzel, that's just a fact. You're making up a scenario to say no to Kunitz, you must think Sullivan is some sort of dumbass to think he'd take Guentzel off of Crosby's line for Kunitz.

No, the risk here is Sullivan playing Kunitz with Malkin. As of right now, their LW options are Rust (who Sullivan likes on RW), Hagelin (who very well could suck) and Sheary (who very well could suck). If you add an actual top-6 LW option, Kunitz isn't going to be playing with Malkin, either.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
If the Penguins add Jeff Skinner, who would he be playing above? I think there's borderline no chance he'd be playing with Crosby regardless of who else the Penguins would add, Guentzel's not getting moved from him. The real risk is him playing with Malkin, not Crosby. The problems with the Penguins in previous years is that guys like Hagelin have sucked or Sullivan isn't that fond of Rust on LW. If you actually get a good LWer, that's not going to be a problem. Sullivan's not going to play Kunitz over a natural LW who's playing well.

The difference here is that I've never believed it was the coaches who put Kunitz with Sid - at least not as their first choice. I personally think it was always more of Sid showing chemistry in practice (where things move at 25% speed) and telling the coaches he's among the folks he prefers to play with. Come game time, the first time a guy like Sheary, Guentzel, or whomever misses a pass or assignment - coach goes straight to Kunitz who goes in there giving his 110%, throws some hits, and then we're stuck that way for the rest of the game because it appeared to work. Meanwhile Sid goes pointless or gets an assist on the PP. Just a self fulfilling prophecy to have that guy on the team. Thanks for the memories - but no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad