Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
which one of these 3 assets would you be willing to trade to get a key piece back this summer? Personally I wouldn't trade any of the three.
- Savoie
- Kulich
- 13th OA pick (2023)
Don't touch Rosen. Use lucky 13 to get us a real boy.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
which one of these 3 assets would you be willing to trade to get a key piece back this summer? Personally I wouldn't trade any of the three.
- Savoie
- Kulich
- 13th OA pick (2023)
13 all day, every day, twice on Sunday. Please. Please and thank you.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
- Savoie
- Kulich
- 13th OA pick (2023)
If we use pick #13 I will be severely disappointed.. it needs to be used in a trade.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Preface: this is all top of the head, stream of consciousness stuff and could be way off in relative value, but here goes:

My off-season would include trying to acquire a fairly established goalie on a 2 or 3 year deal, whether that's a UFA like Korpisalo or a trade. I'd move UPL to Seattle for Will Borgen to add toughness to the blueliners. I assume Girgs is going to want to test UFA and am 50/50 on whether or not KO comes back. I'd take him back as a 12th forward and leader at 1m for the year, but that's up to him. I like Jost but am also fine with letting him move on if he wants more than 1.25m for 1 year. He's going to be blocking guys before too long anyway.

I look to move Joker and Olofsson out, possibly as a package deal, for whatever I can get. Ideally I want a Samuelsson clone, but if the Sabres only get picks, then so be it. I look to not draft in the first round, instead flipping the 1st + picks acquired for Joker/VO for a later 1st and a defenseman or a lesser pick and a goalie (Saros?).

I'm also reaching out to Miles Wood in UFA to be a 4th line energy guy to replace one of KO/Girgs, assuming both don't return. JT Compher and Ryan Graves also receive phone calls. Korpisalo as well if there isn't a goalie acquired at the draft.

I think next season, Rousek and Savoie make the team. I don't like rushing a guy from juniors to the NHL but he's so far beyond the WHL it's ridiculous, and he's not Rochester eligible. He also plays like an NHLer in a lot of ways and should be treated as such .

Prospect wise, I try to get Novikov and Huglen inked. The longer this goes on the less likely Johnson signs, so either include him in a trade as a 2nd round pick value equivalent or just take the pick.

One down!

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
If I HAD to trade one of those, it's pick 13 AINEC.

That said, IMO 13 is only available for a young RHD who can pair with Power long-term

100% agree on part one. I'm more flexible on part two, if there's a separate move that sees VO+Joker moved out for said RHD.

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
- Savoie
- Kulich
- 13th OA pick (2023)
what if we revised that list by adding Ostlund & Rosen. Rank this 5 assets in order of must keep to willing to trade.
1. Kulich
2. Savoie
3. 13th OA
4. Ostlund
5. Rosen

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I’ve got to admit I’m really excited for training camp in the fall.

The forward battle, even without ANY additions will be intense

Skinner Thompson Tuch
Peterka Cozens Quinn
Mittelstadt Krebs Greenway

Are all roster locks.

Then you potentially have
Jost
Girgensons and/or Okposo
Kulich
Savoie
Rosèn
Rousek
Cederqvist
Weissbach
Biro

Potentially 8-9 guys fighting for 3 spots.
This is why I see only one of Girgensons/Okposo returning (my bet is Okposo; he’s the captain and will sign 1yr deals from here on out, Girgensons will want term and we can’t afford to use that spot on him in the years going forward).

I also do not see Jost returning. They might qualify him and then send him as part of a trade somewhere. He showed the capability to be a solid bottom-6 forward and he definitely still has some offensive upside, but he’s not what they need in that spot.

So you realistically have 8 guys fighting for 4 spots (one would be 13th forward).

I do believe they’ll add one UFA forward to the mix. Someone that gives them a bit more… pugnacity or can work the PK. Regardless, it’s gonna be fun to see who can make this squad and no one will have their role handed to them.

Reactions: HOOats

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
With the changes in Leafs-land, I wonder if we could trade for Nylander. More scoring depth never hurt, and his contract fits our structure.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
what if we revised that list by adding Ostlund & Rosen. Rank this 5 assets in order of must keep to willing to trade.
1. Kulich
2. Savoie
3. 13th OA
4. Ostlund
5. Rosen

As it stands right now:

Savoie
Kulich
Rosen
Ostlund
13 OA

A week ago Ostlund and Rosen were flipped. That might still be the case, but there’s a lot of recency bias going on right now

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
We're good with shifty, skilled forwards. Especially ones that disappear in the playoffs.

If we're going to use resources, lets shore up the D.
Gotta make the playoffs to disappear in the playoffs *taps head*

I agree though that Joker, Bryson, and possibly Boosh need upgraded.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Gotta make the playoffs to disappear in the playoffs *taps head*

I agree though that Joker, Bryson, and possibly Boosh need upgraded.

Bryson definitely needs to be upgraded. Joker needs to be upgraded but that upgrade pushes him down. Boosh is fine.

In theory, Joker and Boosh would be your third pairing, and Bryson is your #8.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
No it doesn't need to be used in a trade. I'd prefer KA fill the #4D slot via UFA, unless they make a big move and package 13 for a 24yoish RHD which you ain't gonna get
The problem is that free agency isn’t until after the draft. Strike out in free agency…waste another year. Meanwhile players you could have used either moved to teams on the draft floor willing to trade…or teams have you desperate and the ask is too high. Again…nothing gets done.

As soon as Adams can address the D the better. The best time was two years ago. The next best time was last year.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
The problem is that free agency isn’t until after the draft. Strike out in free agency…waste another year. Meanwhile players you could have used either moved to teams on the draft floor willing to trade…or teams have you desperate and the ask is too high. Again…nothing gets done.

As soon as Adams can address the D the better. The best time was two years ago. The next best time was last year.

1684544925170.gif

Stop trying to make fetch happen

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I'm sure I'm not the first to mention this, but if I'm Adams I'm calling Guerin every day to ask about Foligno. They need cap space we need a Marcus Foligno. I'm sure they don't want to give him up but I'm trying hard to find a way to make it work.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Bryson definitely needs to be upgraded. Joker needs to be upgraded but that upgrade pushes him down. Boosh is fine.

In theory, Joker and Boosh would be your third pairing, and Bryson is your #8.
I’m kind of hoping Bryson and Joker are completely gone.

Dahlin - Samuelsson
Power - X
X - Lyubushkin
Stillman

I’m hoping Power’s partner is a stable vet. Big point totals not necessary. Gudas maybe? I’m hoping the bottom pair player is just a legit NHLer.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I’m kind of hoping Bryson and Joker are completely gone.

Dahlin - Samuelsson
Power - X
X - Lyubushkin
Stillman

I’m hoping Power’s partner is a stable vet. Big point totals not necessary. Gudas maybe? I’m hoping the bottom pair player is just a legit NHLer.

Eh, I want Bryson gone completely. I was never a fan of his, but I figured he could try to prove me wrong. I was fine with it if he proved me wrong. He didn’t. He can’t do anything other than skate quickly.

Joker at least has some OFD (to use an EA Sports term) things going on with him. He gets at least one more year to prove me right or wrong, given his age. He’s only 23, so I think he’ll be better off with less pressure

Reactions: DJN21

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He still looks slow to me, but I'll have to watch him closer next game.

With all the other talent we have coming up, I just don't see him as a realistic option for a Sabres roster spot even if he is a little quicker. A little anything isn't going to cut it with this team. You want to play for the Sabres, you better be damn good or have a very unique skillset we need. I wish him well, I just don't see him as having enough to become a full time Sabre at this point.
He still is. I think the point about his improved skating is it improved enough for him to impose himself on games in the AHL. Whether he can bring that to the NHL is an open question.

Its sucks for Murray that his best professional year is also a year the Sabres had few injuries upfront. He never got a chance to show if he’d improved enough for the NHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad