Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
The more I look at that Flyers / Sabres thread the more I think we would make very good trade partners.

UPL + 13th + Rosén/Ostlund

For

Sanheim & Hart
I know Adams has said handedness isn't a major concern, but having $26m/year committed between four LHD after 26 and 25 get their extensions feels...off. Still tempting, especially if it's Ostlund.

I do like the idea of using another asset to help flip UPL into a more proven but still young G. He still has value and honestly I still believe in him, but managing two developing goalies could be a headache for where we want to go next year.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Jarry 4 x 4,8? Hmm

Andersen
Varlamov
Raanta
Hill

Korpisalo and Talbot with question marks (lottery).

Soucy would be a good pickup for a third pair of LDs playing with Joki/Boosh. Not sure about Gudas, he doesn't seem like a top 4 D to me at this stage. Severson could make sense, but this contract doesn't look good.

Why would Compher be interesting at all? I see no reason to add it under such a contract.

More options from this list:

Barbashev - 4,2M x 4Y

Clifton - 1,7M x 2Y

Mayfield - 3,7M x 3Y

Graves - 5M x 5Y

Gavrikov - 4,8M x 5Y

Dumba - 4,4M x 3Y

Schenn - 1,5M x 1Y

Kulikov - 1,6M x 1Y

Mikkola - 2,5M x 3Y

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Over the past two years, Appert said Murray has morphed from a “skilled forward that’s big to being a power forward with skill.”

That sounds similar but it’s vastly different,” he explained. “He imposes his physicality and his will on our opponents almost every night. Not where more than often two-plus years ago it was his skill and his hands and his mind that might have a good night but other stuff was inconsistent. So as he’s done those things, he’s improved his overall game, he’s improved his defensive game, his skating’s improved.

“He’s worked a lot on his skating and getting that extra step has allowed him to become a better defensive player, be a better forechecker, be a better penalty killer.”

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Over the past two years, Appert said Murray has morphed from a “skilled forward that’s big to being a power forward with skill.”

That sounds similar but it’s vastly different,” he explained. “He imposes his physicality and his will on our opponents almost every night. Not where more than often two-plus years ago it was his skill and his hands and his mind that might have a good night but other stuff was inconsistent. So as he’s done those things, he’s improved his overall game, he’s improved his defensive game, his skating’s improved.

“He’s worked a lot on his skating and getting that extra step has allowed him to become a better defensive player, be a better forechecker, be a better penalty killer.”

He does look quicker. It would've been nice to see if he is because that was what was holding him back in his previous time - just a step behind, a fraction of a stride away from being in the play or reaching a puck/pass/rebound.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

It seems there have always been questions about his skating or speed. Also inconsistency. I remember he could play a good game in Buffalo, and in the next game he would disappear and not even make a single shot and hit. I don't know if he'll have a chance in Buffalo.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This should finally be a year where a goaltender finds Buffalo more attractive at least. Young team just missed playoffs and the only competition is a 21 year old which, regardless of organizational commitment to him, is not ready to be a workhorse goalie in the NHL. There are a lot of starts here…especially in year one.

Reactions: Fjordy

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010

He still looks slow to me, but I'll have to watch him closer next game.

With all the other talent we have coming up, I just don't see him as a realistic option for a Sabres roster spot even if he is a little quicker. A little anything isn't going to cut it with this team. You want to play for the Sabres, you better be damn good or have a very unique skillset we need. I wish him well, I just don't see him as having enough to become a full time Sabre at this point.

Reactions: Fjordy and Jacob582

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
He still looks slow to me, but I'll have to watch him closer next game.

With all the other talent we have coming up, I just don't see him as a realistic option for a Sabres roster spot even if he is a little quicker. A little anything isn't going to cut it with this team. You want to play for the Sabres, you better be damn good or have a very unique skillset we need. I wish him well, I just don't see him as having enough to become a full time Sabre at this point.
Power forward is a fairly unique skill.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If Murray is able to make the jump to Buffalo, that would fill a huge need for the Sabres.

Based on the Athletic article and metrics, I'd rather give Dumba or Graves a chance over Gudas, Soucy, and others.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Jarry 4 x 4,8? Hmm

Andersen
Varlamov
Raanta
Hill

Korpisalo and Talbot with question marks (lottery).

Soucy would be a good pickup for a third pair of LDs playing with Joki/Boosh. Not sure about Gudas, he doesn't seem like a top 4 D to me at this stage. Severson could make sense, but this contract doesn't look good.

Why would Compher be interesting at all? I see no reason to add it under such a contract.

More options from this list:

Barbashev - 4,2M x 4Y

Clifton - 1,7M x 2Y

Mayfield - 3,7M x 3Y

Graves - 5M x 5Y

Gavrikov - 4,8M x 5Y

Dumba - 4,4M x 3Y

Schenn - 1,5M x 1Y

Kulikov - 1,6M x 1Y

Mikkola - 2,5M x 3Y

The thing with Soucy is that he might actually play better on his offhand.

His offensive instincts are definitely more on display when he is playing the right side, and he is very flexible in the regard of switching sides and not losing a beat, so I think he would meld well in Granato's sytem playing with Dahlin and Sammy if injuries happened and he was moved up the lineup.

While I think he can actually be a solid #4 on a lot of teams, he's not real high on my list as the Power Partner solution though. But then again, I am very particular about who I think can fill that role.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If Murray is able to make the jump to Buffalo, that would fill a huge need for the Sabres.

Based on the Athletic article and metrics, I'd rather give Dumba or Graves a chance over Gudas, Soucy, and others.
Soucy is the LD for the third pair, Dumba and Graves are for the top 4 D. Don't want Gudas in Buffalo.

The thing with Soucy is that he might actually play better on his offhand.

His offensive instincts are definitely more on display when he is playing the right side, and he is very flexible in the regard of switching sides and not losing a beat, so I think he would meld well in Granato's sytem playing with Dahlin and Sammy if injuries happened and he was moved up the lineup.

While I think he can actually be a solid #4 on a lot of teams, he's not real high on my list as the Power Partner solution though. But then again, I am very particular about who I think can fill that role.
I generally considered him for the LD in the third pair for the game with Joki/Boosh, and not for the top 4.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Soucy is the LD for the third pair, Dumba and Graves are for the top 4 D. Don't want Gudas in Buffalo.

I generally considered him for the LD in the third pair for the game with Joki/Boosh, and not for the top 4.

I think he would be a solid addition in that spot, but I have to believe someone is going to pay him to be more.

Someone's analytics department is going to look at his metrics and usage and realize that he was under-utilized by Hakstol and give him a shot to be a 2nd pairing option imo.

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
which one of these 3 assets would you be willing to trade to get a key piece back this summer? Personally I wouldn't trade any of the three.
- Savoie
- Kulich
- 13th OA pick (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad