Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Joe & Lance - Latest Maintenance Day pod:

They spent the first half talking about the NHL playoffs, but there were a few interesting thoughts in the second half when they started talking about Rochester.
  • They talked up Subban, Kozak, and Kulich quite a bit... and then Weissbach on the pk.
  • They also briefly mentioned Nadeau for next year in the same breath as Kozak, as a guy that brings a different role to the lineup.
  • Talked up Rousek a bit, but mentioned that they've seen more in the past, so they're expecting a little more in the next series against Toronto.
Then they mentioned that with influx of Ostlund and Nadeau (and Neuchev who they briefly mentioned later), there is going to be a numbers issue for Rochester at forward. Lance took this as a sign that Kulich is already penciled in for Buffalo next year - they think he's specifically getting VO's spot in the lineup.

Lance also thinks that Rousek and Weissbach also might be close to graduating, Joe even listed Rosen as a possibility too (Prior to his injury, I thought Biro had earned a look too, but I guess we'll see where his game is post surgery). I can't think of any that have a stronger read on the Sabres pulse than Lance, so hearing this made me do a double take. With this many potential graduations, along with possibly Savoie as well, that would make a very inconsistent, defensively inept group even younger than last year. :eek3:

Hearing this also makes me wonder what their actual plans are with Jost, KO, and Girgs. Now I'm wondering how many spots KA envisions for these guys, if any.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Michael Mcleod would be a fantastic bottom six add. Great on faceoffs, defensively sound. Just cant shoot at all. But he would be an amazing add if for some reason the Devils wanted to deal him
* offer sheet :thumbu:

View attachment 705859

Short idea. Flame away.

Beef the D.
Make the Krebs line a checking line.
Give Levi the ultimate canadian mentor.
Shame on you for scratching Lukas Rousek

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
They spent the first half talking about the NHL playoffs, but there were a few interesting thoughts in the second half when they started talking about Rochester.
  • They talked up Subban, Kozak, and Kulich quite a bit... and then Weissbach on the pk.
  • They also briefly mentioned Nadeau for next year in the same breath as Kozak, as a guy that brings a different role to the lineup.
  • Talked up Rousek a bit, but mentioned that they've seen more in the past, so they're expecting a little more in the next series against Toronto.
Then they mentioned that with influx of Ostlund and Nadeau (and Neuchev who they briefly mentioned later), there is going to be a numbers issue for Rochester at forward. Lance took this as a sign that Kulich is already penciled in for Buffalo next year - they think he's specifically getting VO's spot in the lineup.

Lance also thinks that Rousek and Weissbach also might be close to graduating, Joe even listed Rosen as a possibility too (Prior to his injury, I thought Biro had earned a look too, but I guess we'll see where his game is post surgery). I can't think of any that have a stronger read on the Sabres pulse than Lance, so hearing this made me do a double take. With this many potential graduations, along with possibly Savoie as well, that would make a very inconsistent, defensively inept group even younger than last year. :eek3:

Hearing this also makes me wonder what their actual plans are with Jost, KO, and Girgs. Now I'm wondering how many spots KA envisions for these guys, if any.

JJ Peterka is looking over his shoulder getting very nervous.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Roy with one season left to UFA for 13OA is too steep for me. Talk to them about 39 and say a 2nd next year? Sure. And they likely come back and offer Durzi instead of Roy. Durzi's someone who hasn't figured out his own zone and I don't know if he will. Reminds me a bit of Vegas Colin Miller at this point but more of a passing/creative play-maker than a guy who just pounds it on net with bombs.

Engvall is the sort of player I hope they don't sign from a personal preference - big guy, good skater, completely without a pulse. Yes, his charty business is very good - a lot of Leafs have very good charty business, same with Tampa over the last few years. Yet there is no fire there. There isn't enough engagement. Bleh.

I wouldn't mind Tanev for something smallish like you proposed.

Fleury's availability has been covered - he's not leaving Minny.
Roy for 13 is too steep for me too. This was whiteboard fire-from-the-hip to see a roster. I don't even know where the cap is at on it.

Engvall really could be 'insert your favorite PKer here'

Tanev deal I won't back off until Adams does it. Makes sense for both sides.

Fleury...I just went hunting for a vet to mentor Levi, and he fit the description of 'Craig Anderson, but a few years younger' I made up.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
The biggest question I have this off season is will Adams sign a big free agent. His biggest signing thus far has been Ilya Lyubushkin. There’s not much available at forward but D and Goalie have a few names that could help us out big time. I just can’t see a big contract being handed out though.
He signed Hall

Reactions: Jacob582

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
1683734091460.jpeg

Buffalo Krampus

The rest of the AI mascots are terrible too

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
That could also be something as simple as choosing not to qualify Pekar, Murray, or re-sign Malone. Or anticipating a Rousek or Weissbach being the 13th forward.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That could also be something as simple as choosing not to qualify Pekar, Murray, or re-sign Malone. Or anticipating a Rousek or Weissbach being the 13th forward.

A little from column A and a little from column B. Pekar not dressing when they are ridiculously thin at forward in Rochester seems to indicate he is not in their plans on an NHL contract. We can assume there will be at least one elevation graduation to the big club as well.

I also wonder if they do something with Malone that they did with Mersch - 2 year AHL-level deal for some stability. It's clear they are looking for a type and he's one down there.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Not to turn this into a Rochester roster speculation, but LL mentioned that having veteran guys like Malone and Mersch to mentor the kids was critical in their development, and I tend to agree. Even if you don't qualify those two the lineup is pretty full:

NHL contracts:
  1. Kulich
  2. Östlund
  3. Rosén
  4. Kisakov
  5. Nadeau
  6. Cederqvist
  7. Kozak
  8. Weissbach (assuming they qualify)
  9. Rousek (assuming they qualify)
  10. Biro
  11. Neuchev
UFA/RFA:
  1. Murray
  2. Malone
  3. Pekar
AHL contracts:
  1. Mersch
  2. Jobst
  3. Warren
Assuming they graduate 2 of the prospects, don't qualify Pekar or Murray, and bring back 3 AHL contracts and Malone for mentoring and specific lineup roles, and you still have 13 forwards. If we don't graduate anyone, we'll likely have 1 or 2 guys that aren't getting the ice time they need for development.

A little from column A and a little from column B. Pekar not dressing when they are ridiculously thin at forward in Rochester seems to indicate he is not in their plans on an NHL contract. We can assume there will be at least one elevation graduation to the big club as well.

I also wonder if they do something with Malone that they did with Mersch - 2 year AHL-level deal for some stability. It's clear they are looking for a type and he's one down there.

What are your thoughts on their future plans for Murray?

Reactions: Jacob582 and HOOats

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Not to turn this into a Rochester roster speculation, but LL mentioned that having veteran guys like Malone and Mersch to mentor the kids was critical in their development, and I tend to agree. Even if you don't qualify those two the lineup is pretty full:

NHL contracts:
  1. Kulich
  2. Östlund
  3. Rosén
  4. Kisakov
  5. Nadeau
  6. Cederqvist
  7. Kozak
  10. Biro
  11. Neuchev
UFA/RFA:
  1. Murray
  2. Malone
  3. Pekar
AHL contracts:
  1. Mersch
  2. Jobst
  3. Warren
Assuming they graduate 2 of the prospects, don't qualify Pekar or Murray, and bring back 3 AHL contracts and Malone for mentoring and specific lineup roles, and you still have 13 forwards. If we don't graduate anyone, we'll likely have 1 or 2 guys that aren't getting the ice time they need for development.

Did they state that Osltund will be in Rochester next season? I thought there was some talk of him doing another season in the SHL?

I think with someone like Rousek or Weissbach maybe they've seen enough for one or both the be extras in Buffalo to replace Hino/Asplund.

Pekar is one I just don't see much from. Murray and Biro need to pass through waivers next season if I'm not mistaken. Biro could replace one of the vets as a mentor moving forward given next season would be his 3rd full AHL season and he's 25 years old.

Mersch-Kulich-Rosen
Biro-Malone-Weissbach/Rousek
Kisakov-Nadeau-Neuchev
Jobst-Kozak-Cederqvist

I don't know how they roll lines, just putting it together for visualization. Also there will likely be injuries, as we've seen with many of these guys having gotten injured at various points the last couple of seasons.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
Would you be interested in trading for either player. I think their time is over in NY. They would receive a better opportunity with the young group of players we are developing.
What say you?

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Would you be interested in trading for either player. I think their time is over in NY. They would receive a better opportunity with the young group of players we are developing.
What say you?
They would be difficult to find roster space for without potentially moving another young piece.

Most here assume VO will be gone, and eventually they'll need to find spots on the roster in the next season or 2 for Savoie and Kulich. The opportunity for either of Laf or Kakko would be minimal given the glut of young forwards and forward prospects the Sabres already have.

I would be incredibly curious to see if Granato could get more out of either of them though.

Reactions: allsilverdreams

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What say you?

Not particularly interested in either honestly. Besides, what would Buffalo trade to get the bluest of the blues?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Kakko, but I doubt he is a necessity now with our young forwards. Savoie and Kulich will get their place in the squad anyway in the near future.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

NHL contracts:
  1. Kulich
  2. Östlund
  3. Rosén
  4. Kisakov
  5. Nadeau
  6. Cederqvist
  7. Kozak
  10. Biro
  11. Neuchev
UFA/RFA:
  1. Murray
  2. Malone
  3. Pekar
AHL contracts:
  1. Mersch
  2. Jobst
  3. Warren

I had hoped Murray was going to get a look but the Sabres regular season health at forward meant almost no one got any opportunity. He looks faster than last year but is that enough to make up for what was missing from his previous recalls? Can he channel the anger to play up to his size? I know some people like Duff have said they think there are other NHL teams who will be interested if Murray becomes available. One of the things when looking at a grind line, having players who can skate and also who are naturally unpleasant has to be a consideration so I'm not sure where he would fit.

Longwindedly, I don't know. They can't ice a team that is all dinky scoring liners though.

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
I had hoped Murray was going to get a look but the Sabres regular season health at forward meant almost no one got any opportunity. He looks faster than last year but is that enough to make up for what was missing from his previous recalls? Can he channel the anger to play up to his size? I know some people like Duff have said they think there are other NHL teams who will be interested if Murray becomes available. One of the things when looking at a grind line, having players who can skate and also who are naturally unpleasant has to be a consideration so I'm not sure where he would fit.

Longwindedly, I don't know. They can't ice a team that is all dinky scoring liners though.
I’m hoping for a quality big guy @ 13

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
Kaako and Laf for bryson oloffson and a second
& rangers block your number

What say you?
Teams don't give up on young players like that especially still on elc and drafted in lottery. Literally their coach was fired for a reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad