Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
3 seasons needing to add a goalie. 3 seasons he failed to.

Anyone notice people who bash KA love to just add in an extra year? 3 seasons ago we had Ullmark. It’s been TWO.

Nothing Adams has *ever* done makes any ideas about big trades and contracts seem remotely plausible. The big stuff is for the guys in the organization already.

In KA’s short time here, he has made numerous big trades.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
We will expect everything and Adam's will do nothing as usual..

No, a few of you expect nothing. You all give it away by saying constantly that you expect nothing.

You’d think KA would get a little deference by completely turning the team around in every aspect in a very short time, but I guess not. All he has shown is an ability to improve this team. And he is constantly proven right

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I doubt that Adams will improve goalies, relying on internal development, but he must improve the defense.
This is in line with what he talked about during his WGR interview. Talked about wanting to upgrade defense. Didn’t really say that about goalies. Didn’t say he wouldn’t either but he specifically said he was looking to upgrade the defense.

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
This is in line with what he talked about during his WGR interview. Talked about wanting to upgrade defense. Didn’t really say that about goalies. Didn’t say he wouldn’t either but he specifically stay he was looking to upgrade the defense.
And there is logic in this. The better our defense plays, probably the easier and better it will be for the goalies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I wasn't specific about the the top line being together or not (I didn't have a clear recollection of game-by-game line-ups anyway) because it wasn't relevant to my point. I agree that Granato had other FW issues to deal with, I just disagree that it was also necessary to break up that line to address the other issues. However many games they were apart resulted in juggling/tinkering that to some extent wasn't necessary imo. The collective result was six weeks or so of line experiments that we should probably not expect next season, which would seem to be a bonus. I'm not going to say Granato held the team back any significant amount, but I don't want to see him go back (as some posters suggested here) to breaking up that line. Does it really matter whether the top line was together for half that time vs all the time? Either way it was a regular time frame of line experimentation, that didn't settle out until mid-Nov. It just seems "extra HF" to go dissecting that point...like trying to win a debate on a technicality but intentionally ignoring the bigger point.

Everything I posted about was in regard to the FW group, but had nothing to do with the overall and largest team problems like team defense, goaltending, etc. I'm not sure how those issues were mistaken for being part of the exchange.

Cheers!
Thanks for further clarification. We’re gonna have to agree to disagree on how necessary what he did in those six weeks was. But we’re in agreement there should be way less volatility with the lines going into next year.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I simply don't think it's going to be enough to get the improvement in the areas we need to take the next step.
I do.

Getting a competent partner for Power, who isn't giving the puck up in his own zone, will be a game changer for Power. Dahlin was unleashed by Samuelsson, so I think that's what Power is going to need to take a step forward. The team improvement will come from the additional possession time that the Sabres gain from Power being allowed to roam a bit.

I think the Sabres will see improvements from a lot of players. Mittelstadt, just by staying consistent with what he did in the late season, will make for an improvement. Off-loading Olofsson helps him a lot. Greenway probably takes a step forward, especially since Mittelstadt works well with power forwards.

There's the possibility of a sophomore slump from Peterka, Quinn, and maybe Krebs, who was really a rookie last season, playing his first full season.

I think Stillman and Lyubushkin can provide reliable 3rd pair minutes.

There's a question in net, which really isn't the same question as last off-season. Levi is probably the guy going forward. How does Adams play the Levi-Comire-UPL situation? I could see trading UPL and bringing in a solid short-term starter. That's really the only signing he should make.

I like the idea of Savoie breaking in with Girgensons and Okposo. Less pressure, simplifies his game, learns to play an NHL game.

I wouldn't do too much because I see a ton of improvement coming internally. Young players don't tend to stagnate, espeically in the environment Granato created.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015

True dat, I should have specified not including the big-4, Hall/Risto/Reino/Jack. 4 players who wanted out and were not going to re-sign.

We don't have anyone except VO in that category right now and I won't consider him a big trade. Plus, we acquired young assets and draft picks in those trades, as opposed to moving out young assets and draft picks which is what I was meaning. I dont consider the Greenway acquisition a big trade, talking more about 1st round picks or players with that value.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
True dat, I should have specified not including the big-4, Hall/Risto/Reino/Jack. 4 players who wanted out and were not going to re-sign.

We don't have anyone except VO in that category right now and I won't consider him a big trade. Plus, we acquired young assets and draft picks in those trades, as opposed to moving out young assets and draft picks which is what I was meaning. I dont consider the Greenway acquisition a big trade, talking more about 1st round picks or players with that value.

Fair fair! I could see a big trade for a top 4 defensemen this off-season, or a similar free agent signing. But that’s it

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Anyone notice people who bash KA love to just add in an extra year? 3 seasons ago we had Ullmark. It’s been TWO.

1. A goalie who couldn’t stay healthy and didn’t have a contract beyond the year…who he inherited and immediately lost. Is it too late to recount those GM of the year ballots?

2. Yes. For players who asked for one or refused to re-sign. If a player didn’t have to be moved out…he hadn’t done anything big or worthwhile. In three years. He let a deadline pass in a rebuild holding onto everyone and losing them for nothing. Including that goalie you want credit for him having in the first answer.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Hypothetical question here….and as a blues fan I’m not sure why I’m considering this because I want Reinbacher badly BUT, I’m also a Sabres fan and would kill to see him next to power in two years.

Would u guys be willing to add one of your 3 2nds to #13 to trade up to 10 if Reinbacher was on the board still?

Assuming you guys would go that, My next question is, would u be willing to go further than a 2nd as the plus, like a Rosen and 13 for 10?

Figure Ostlund, kulich etc…are off the table here

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Hypothetical question here….and as a blues fan I’m not sure why I’m considering this because I want Reinbacher badly BUT, I’m also a Sabres fan and would kill to see him next to power in two years.

Would u guys be willing to add one of your 3 2nds to #13 to trade up to 10 if Reinbacher was on the board still?

Assuming you guys would go that, My next question is, would u be willing to go further than a 2nd as the plus, like a Rosen and 13 for 10?

They only have two 2nds now. The Vegas one was traded to Minnesota for Greenway.

Reactions: DatDude44

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas

13+45 seems to be a lot to move up to 10. Definitely would not include a 1st round prospect.

So, to answer your question, no, I would not. And I don't think Kevyn Adams would, either.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I’d do #13 + Buffalo’s 2nd pick for 10, if it meant Reinbacher. I think Rosen + 13 is too much. That seems more of an offer for Slavin.
Makes sense, thanks.

I'd be shocked if that package got u slavin but crazier things have happened haha

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

I've been thinking along these lines lately too. Willing to overpay to just get Reinbacher, as a bust-proof #4 with upside. Set and forget 26-23 25-Reinbacher for a decade. Would also free us from concentrating on drafting D since we're 2/3rds set.

I'm also still on thinning the Savoie/Kulich/Ostlund/Rosen forward group by one. Rosen is still the odd man out for me and we're so deep at forward losing him would hardly hurt at all.

That leaves me wanting something like 13 + Rosen (+ 5th/6th of needed) for 8 (WSH) + 40 (WSH). A Caps fan objected elsewhere, but I think Rosen has more value with FOs than fans. Move into the top 10 if guaranteed Reinbacher using Rosen and keep a cluster of 2nds to take some swings still.

I'd also do 13 + 45 (probably also 39) to guarantee Reinbacher.

Reactions: EichHart

Perry Tegula

Yes... that'll do
Dec 7, 2022
I've been thinking along these lines lately too. Willing to overpay to just get Reinbacher, as a bust-proof #4 with upside. Set and forget 26-23 25-Reinbacher for a decade. Would also free us from concentrating on drafting D since we're 2/3rds set.

I'm also still on thinning the Savoie/Kulich/Ostlund/Rosen forward group by one. Rosen is still the odd man out for me and we're so deep at forward losing him would hardly hurt at all.

That leaves me wanting something like 13 + Rosen (+ 5th/6th of needed) for 8 (WSH) + 40 (WSH). A Caps fan objected elsewhere, but I think Rosen has more value with FOs than fans. Move into the top 10 if guaranteed Reinbacher using Rosen and keep a cluster of 2nds to take some swings still.

I'd also do 13 + 45 (probably also 39) to guarantee Reinbacher.

Agree on Rosey and the numbers game but he has come a long way.

Hold him until the trade deadline and you could swap him 1-1 for a (similar age RHD to groom behind the FA vet partner acquired for Power) lot.

Reactions: HOOats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad