Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Helle would be a great addition, but I don't see Buffalo being realistic suitors for him if he is indeed available.

He has 1 year left on his deal to UFA. That's a risk, and goes counter to everything Adams has said to this point. I think that uncertainty would go against what Adams wants. It also would mean that if they did extend him, he'd likely want a longer term high dollar deal. Would Adams be willing to commit to Helle for 5+ years with how he feels about Levi?

Would Helle be willing to commit to Buffalo if he wants to be on a contender? Buffalo still needs to make the playoffs before we can really say they are contenders. Seems they might be a couple years behind the window I'd imagine Helle wants.

Also saw some Jets fans saying his wife didn't want to endure any more harsh winters in Winnipeg. Buffalo is no picnic in the winter, and we've seen the pulls some wives have had with where players go. Pronger for example.

To me a team like Carolina could be a destination for him. Sure they have Kochetkov, but he's still unproven. They are in win now mode, play a strong defensive game and have a lot of prospects and picks available. Warmer climate also.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Savoie missed a year in CHL too. Had COVID not occurred, Savoie would have done 4 CHL years and this Buffalo would have his full control and could send him to Rochester.

The difference is Savoie played 40 games during the 20-21 season.

For a year and a half, between the late winter shut down in 2020 until training camp in the fall of 2021, Wright played golf and zero hockey games.

I won't argue that the WHL would have been more competitive than the USHL, but the USHL is still much better than not playing for a year and a half at that age.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The difference is Savoie played 40 games during the 20-21 season.

For a year and a half, between the late winter shut down in 2020 until training camp in the fall of 2021, Wright played golf and zero hockey games.

I won't argue that the WHL would have been more competitive than the USHL, but the USHL is still much better than not playing for a year and a half at that age.
USHL had many players not play too. Him playing USHL didn’t matter much.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
USHL had many players not play too. Him playing USHL didn’t matter much.

You are drawing a comparable of one 16 year old CHL prospect playing 40 games in the USHL with practice and coaching to another 16 year old prospect not playing hockey for a year? (It was over a year between Wright's last game with Kingston and his time joining the U18 worlds team and over a year and a half between OHL games)

I'm not sure what it is you are trying to convey here. You quoted me and seem to be implying there is no difference. Do you feel those situations are similar?

Maybe I am missing your point. Maybe you were just sharing the info that both players are not AHL eligible, and if that is the case, I am sorry I misunderstood, but personally, I feel that they are extremely different prospects that have different strengths and will face different challenges making the jump to the pro game.

Reactions: Efectzoer

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
If Savoie is ready, then spread out the wealth:

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
Skinner-Mitelstadt-Quinn
Greenway-Cozens-Savoie
Girgs-Krebs-XXX
Jost
Kulich
Rosen
Etc...

There's a good blend of youth playing with veterans. They roll four lines. That's an enticing line-up. There are so many combinations with exciting potential.

Next year could be a really, really fun year if the right moves are made. Fingers crossed!

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You are drawing a comparable of one 16 year old CHL prospect playing 40 games in the USHL with practice and coaching to another 16 year old prospect not playing hockey for a year? (It was over a year between Wright's last game with Kingston and his time joining the U18 worlds team and over a year and a half between OHL games)

I'm not sure what it is you are trying to convey here. You quoted me and seem to be implying there is no difference. Do you feel those situations are similar?

Maybe I am missing your point. Maybe you were just sharing the info that both players are not AHL eligible, and if that is the case, I am sorry I misunderstood, but personally, I feel that they are extremely different prospects that have different strengths and will face different challenges making the jump to the pro game.
Why should Wright get some asterisk and Savoie doesn’t? just because he played 35 or so games in a depleted limited league?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Why should Wright get some asterisk and Savoie doesn’t? just because he played 35 or so games in a depleted limited league?

Because Savoie played hockey that season.

The season was shortened, but Savoie still had coaching and practices and he played in 40 games.

Wright had over a full year off between the OHL and the U18 tourney, and if you listen to his interviews, he says he spent most of his time golfing. It is a huge difference for kids that are 16 and developing.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Granato wasted about six weeks tinkering with lines to start this season. No desire for that again. Stick with what works and hopefully Savoie can be the Olly upgrade.

Wasted? Lots of teams do that with a lot of new and young players at the start of a season. If he doesn't tinker he doesn't find the right combos.

It's much worse sticking with what isn't working because you don't want to "tinker".

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I guess we have to give him one this year too since he spent months sitting in a pressbox for “development reasons”. Kid will make the hall of fame without ever having to accomplish shit. With an asterisk, of course.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Wasted? Lots of teams do that with a lot of new and young players at the start of a season. If he doesn't tinker he doesn't find the right combos.

It's much worse sticking with what isn't working because you don't want to "tinker".
I was more specific earlier in this thread, but I'm talking about the top line. They already were great together to end the season before. For some reason Granato didn't put them back together until mid November. Tinker when the team isn't scoring, but that wasn't a problem except for TT. He didn't get going until November, and going full swing until Tuch was back on the line.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Kulich for Ullmark.

Who says no?
Ullmark's full NMC likely makes this a moot point.

But, even if he would waive to return, I doubt that Adams makes that deal as he wouldn't listen to any trade talks involving Kulich or Savoie at the TDL. I doubt that has changed.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Capture.PNG

Here are all the outside UFAs that Adams has signed to 1-way deals over the past two off seasons.

I doubt we see Adams change course this summer and go crazy. Especially for an over the hill winger like PKane when they have all sorts of scoring wingers on the roster and in the pipeline.

2.PNG

3.PNG

Here are all of the offseason trades that Kevyn Adams has made the past two off seasons.

I am not expecting Adams to make the volume of moves that many mock off season articles, posts, and podcasts will talk about making.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Capture.PNG

Here are all the outside UFAs that Adams has signed to 1-way deals over the past two off seasons.

I doubt we see Adams change course this summer and go crazy. Especially for an over the hill winger like PKane when they have all sorts of scoring wingers on the roster and in the pipeline.

View attachment 701589

View attachment 701590

Here are all of the offseason trades that Kevyn Adams has made the past two off seasons.

I am not expecting Adams to make the volume of moves that many mock off season articles, posts, and podcasts will talk about making.
I predict 1 trade for a legit top 4 d. Someone like Chris Tanev who won't cost you your 1st (I know Tanev specifically has a NMC, not the point).

After that, I think he just drafts, and bargain hunts in free agency.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I don't quite understand how Savoie fits in if the goal next year is improvement.

If you swap him in for Olofsson, it might be a slight upgrade, at least in terms of net goals. If he's not a dumpster fire in his own zone.

if you push Krebs up the lineup....what does he bring for a 4th line C role?

I understand the situation we are in with his contract/the AHL rules. What I don't understand is how he would make us closer to a playoff team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't quite understand how Savoie fits in if the goal next year is improvement.

If you swap him in for Olofsson, it might be a slight upgrade, at least in terms of net goals. If he's not a dumpster fire in his own zone.

I understand the situation we are in with his contract/the AHL rules. What I don't understand is how he would make us closer to a playoff team.
I do not believe that every roster decision will be made through the lens of "we have to make the playoffs in 2023-24".

That is why you heard Adams and Granato push back against the "playoffs or bust" questions.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

If the kid makes the team and is one of the 12 best forwards, why would you want to keep him down? Even after saying he might be a slight upgrade. Young players aren't always bad defensively. They'll make mistakes, but they are going to do that whether you bring them in at 19 or at 23. They will still need to adjust to the NHL.

If they can play more responsible defensively that's realistically an area that improvement would benefit them significantly enough to help push them in to the playoffs. They can upgrade the 2nd pairing RD, and maybe even the 3rd pairing LD, then bringing in Savoie to take Olofssons spot doesn't harm the team (not that it would anyway). Given their trajectory I'd also say we should expect growth from Quinn and Peterka as well to offset some of those lost goals.

Reactions: Dingo44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad