Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I think the FWs can be more effective overall just from Granato not tinkering around with combos for all of October and into November. One of the real head scratchers for me was seeing the top line not put back together until sometime around the 8 game losing streak in Nov (despite finishing strong the season before). That alone should have an impact, then remove the mess of the Mitts line without suffering through Olofsson and Asplund.

Without these struggles I'm much more willing to give the kid line another go-around. I've also been pumping the idea of Greenway - Mitts - Savoie (if Savoie really earns the spot). I also hope Okposo hangs them up and Rousek can step in with that speed and energy. If those pieces fall into place I'm much less interested in another FW add. Compher would be the dream to me but not necessary if others step up.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Some contender out there will give him a multi year deal if we don't.
I feel like he’s either staying here or going to Pitt and those are the full extent of what he’d do. He loves it here. I don’t think he has any interest in playing in a majority of places and situations. Living in Pitt makes them the only other place I see him turning to tbh. They’re on the decline and we’re on the upswing. So I suspect which one he’d favor all other things being equal. But he seems like a person where being comfortable and close to home outweighs most other things.

Reactions: joshjull

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If Girgs isn't back I want to add a forward with more sandpaper and as good/better at PK.

Rousek can be depth in Rochester. Although he won't wait a lot longer before he threatens to go back to Europe.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If Girgs isn't back I want to add a forward with more sandpaper and as good/better at PK.

Rousek can be depth in Rochester. Although he won't wait a lot longer before he threatens to go back to Europe.

Rousek is Hinostroza's replacement if nothing else.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I would prefer Girgs to stay. But if he goes, Rousek makes a ton of sense as his replacement.
I would as well. But I see
1) then preferring Okposo for leadership reasons.
And
2) Okposo will likely sign 1yr deals from here on out. I’d assume Zemgus wants term

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Having someone to be the defensive conscience rather than getting their asses kicked and giving back more than they get is an issue. It's like when Hecht was the blanket for Briere. People didn't like it but it kept that line from being stepped on in their own zone.
Well, ok. Hecht would be a great fit on a Cozens Quinn line. I thought we were talking about Greenway. Again, if Greenway can get to Hecht's level of play, wonderful!

Reactions: Chainshot

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
If I’m doing the lines this season I think I start the following way;

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
-it’s a legit #1 line. Probably top-5 in the league, at least offensively.

Peterka-Cozens-Quinn
-let the kids keep the chemistry working as they develop their game. Being comfortable with their linemates gives Peterka & Quinn one less thing to worry about going into year 2.

Greenway-Mittelstadt-Savoie
-this is imo a good line to start Savoie on. He can use his speed in transition, rotate a bit with Mittelstadt at center, and has a big body in Greenway that hopefully won’t let him get shoved around too much.

Rousek-Krebs-Okposo
-I think Girgensons will unfortunately move on. I also think Rousek is the perfect fit for a 4th liner in our system. Good speed, tenacious, and enough offensive chops to not be a black hole.

Extra skaters: Jost

Now this is without any additions. I believe Savoie will get a similar treatment to what Shane Wright got this season in Seattle but that could change with time.

I could see them adding one more forward. Maybe a Miles Wood type? But I think they have so many guys in Rochester they don’t want to block. Guys like Kulich are right on the precipice & then I’m sure they’d feel ok with guys like Biro Weissbsch and Cederqvist getting a taste. Not to mention Kisakov, Kozac (not that they’re necessarily ready), and they have so many others coming up next year as well.
Our forwards stayed healthy for almost the entire season until Tage and Tuch took damage during the stretch run. It's unlikely that happens in back-to-back years.

Rousek on the fourth line if Ok or Girgs leaves.
Savoie starts in Buffalo with the Shane Wright option.
Kulich and Rosen fill-in when we lose top-six forwards or behind others playing up the lineup.
Biro, Murray, Cederqvist fill in if we lose bottom -six.

I expect we'll see at least five out of those seven players suit up for at least a few games next year.

Our forwards stayed healthy for almost the entire season until Tage and Tuch took damage during the stretch run. It's unlikely that happens in back-to-back years.

Kulich and Rosen fill-in when we lose top-six forwards or behind others playing up the lineup.

I expect we'll see at least five out of those seven players suit up for at least a few games next year.
And Rousek only if we don't acquire another vet.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010

And Rousek only if we don't acquire another vet.
I agree with this, and I do believe they’ll look to add another forward if Girgensons leaves.

Any good PK forwards available???

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The one thing about the Shane Wright option people keep throwing around…it ignores an incredibly important little detail. At 18 Shane Wright wasn’t good enough to play in the NHL. Savoie at 19 is going to be far more effective than Wright at 18. You’re predicting they take one of a young players most important growth seasons and sit him in a press box for weeks at a time so he can play briefly in the AHL on a conditioning stint, go to WJC…and then…back to the level you did all of this to avoid anyway? All while he’s far more able to play here than Wright was last year? That doesn’t make sense.

He’s going to be here. Play more than 9 games. And be an NHL player next year.

OR

hes going to be sent back early after no more than 9 games that aren’t spread out for two months.

There is no Shane Wright plan next year that makes sense

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
The one thing about the Shane Wright option people keep throwing around…it ignores an incredibly important little detail. At 18 Shane Wright wasn’t good enough to play in the NHL. Savoie at 19 is going to be far more effective than Wright at 18. You’re predicting they take one of a young players most important growth seasons and sit him in a press box for weeks at a time so he can play briefly in the AHL on a conditioning stint, go to WJC…and then…back to the level you did all of this to avoid anyway? All while he’s far more able to play here than Wright was last year? That doesn’t make sense.

OR

hes going to be sent back early after no more than 9 games that aren’t spread out for two months.

or Savoie isn't as talented as Wright even at an older age hence the draft position

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020

OR

Is the rule that once he plays ten games in the NHL, he can't return to the WHL?

Obviously, if he earns a roster spot, then he earns a roster spot. The Wright bit only makes sense if he demonstrates he's not ready.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
giphy.gif
Lol I knew you were joking... Just asking a sarcastic question to a sarcastic comment.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I don't see Kevyn Adams embracing the Shane Wright option as a good plan to develop his players.
The way Seattle handled Wright was a little extreme. Granato sat Quinn, Peterka and Krebs early in the year. If Savoie played twenty out of the first thirty and then went back to Winnipeg, that's time better spent than playing against (lesser) teenagers to start the season.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Is the rule that once he plays ten games in the NHL, he can't return to the WHL?

Obviously, if he earns a roster spot, then he earns a roster spot. The Wright bit only makes sense if he demonstrates he's not ready.
He can go back but it starts the clock on the ELC, that was the biggest problem with Grigs, Darcy kept him up past the 9 games when he was 18 so it burned the 1st year off the ELC instead of having it slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad