Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I know Tage was playing hurt at the end but with Mitts showing well between Tuch and Skinner, is Thompson, Cozens Quinn a good way to to create 2 scary lines?

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
If I’m doing the lines this season I think I start the following way;

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
-it’s a legit #1 line. Probably top-5 in the league, at least offensively.

Peterka-Cozens-Quinn
-let the kids keep the chemistry working as they develop their game. Being comfortable with their linemates gives Peterka & Quinn one less thing to worry about going into year 2.

Greenway-Mittelstadt-Savoie
-this is imo a good line to start Savoie on. He can use his speed in transition, rotate a bit with Mittelstadt at center, and has a big body in Greenway that hopefully won’t let him get shoved around too much.

Rousek-Krebs-Okposo
-I think Girgensons will unfortunately move on. I also think Rousek is the perfect fit for a 4th liner in our system. Good speed, tenacious, and enough offensive chops to not be a black hole.

Extra skaters: Jost

Now this is without any additions. I believe Savoie will get a similar treatment to what Shane Wright got this season in Seattle but that could change with time.

I could see them adding one more forward. Maybe a Miles Wood type? But I think they have so many guys in Rochester they don’t want to block. Guys like Kulich are right on the precipice & then I’m sure they’d feel ok with guys like Biro Weissbsch and Cederqvist getting a taste. Not to mention Kisakov, Kozac (not that they’re necessarily ready), and they have so many others coming up next year as well.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Peterka-Cozens-Quinn
-let the kids keep the chemistry working as they develop their game. Being comfortable with their linemates gives Peterka & Quinn one less thing to worry about going into year 2.

-this is imo a good line to start Savoie on. He can use his speed in transition, rotate a bit with Mittelstadt at center, and has a big body in Greenway that hopefully won’t let him get shoved around too much.

Rousek-Krebs-Okposo
-I think Girgensons will unfortunately move on. I also think Rousek is the perfect fit for a 4th liner in our system. Good speed, tenacious, and enough offensive chops to not be a black hole.

Now this is without any additions. I believe Savoie will get a similar treatment to what Shane Wright got this season in Seattle but that could change with time.

I could see them adding one more forward. Maybe a Miles Wood type? But I think they have so many guys in Rochester they don’t want to block. Guys like Kulich are right on the precipice & then I’m sure they’d feel ok with guys like Biro Weissbsch and Cederqvist getting a taste. Not to mention Kisakov, Kozac (not that they’re necessarily ready), and they have so many others coming up next year as well.
I would prefer Girgs to stay. But if he goes, Rousek makes a ton of sense as his replacement.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Peterka-Cozens-Quinn

Rousek-Krebs-Okposo

Your lines are exactly what I have at this point, except I'm predicting Girgs is back and Okposo retires.

If Okposo or Girgs isn't back, I think you have the opportunity to see if you can find someone who has size, experience, and especially pk chops. Bonus if they can play C.

I would of course like Miles Wood on my team, but he doesn't PK and that makes it not possible to add him unless someone else is moved out, IMO.

The only thing that would really shake me off that 2nd line is if we could acquire a really good power LW to go with Cozens/Quinn. Someone like an Evander Kane or Tkachuk, maybe Bertuzzi if he's gonna stay healthy. Imagine the nightmare third line that create too... Peterka/Mitts/Savoie or maybe Peterka Savoie Kulich.

Fun times.

Am I the only one who is still uncomfortable with the defensive sinkhole that Peterka-Quinn are as a tandem?
I'm just assuming they'll get better.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Peterka-Cozens-Quinn

Rousek-Krebs-Okposo

Yeah we'll be 33rd in the league on the PK with that forward group.
35th in faceoffs.

Reactions: Jacob582

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think they'll develop. Neither really had the "offense only" scouting report when drafted. Quinn showed a bit towards the end of the year.

They'll get there

I think relying on 2 2nd year guys who kind of suck at defense and kind of dragged the responsible guy on the line into sucking as well as the 2nd line is faulty planning. I can see them split up with Greenway being the defensive cover for one or the other.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The league is adding 3 more teams next year?
giphy.gif

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I think relying on 2 2nd year guys who kind of suck at defense and kind of dragged the responsible guy on the line into sucking as well as the 2nd line is faulty planning. I can see them split up with Greenway being the defensive cover for one or the other.
If Greenway becomes a legit 2nd line caliber forward this season, that would be huge for us. To me though, that's less likely than Peterka/Quinn improving, and I love the potential continuity of rolling with these top 2 lines for a long time. If I think Peterka and Quinn can reach a level that their line is winning the 5v5 time on the ice, I'd rather let them figure it out together knowing that even a little improvement this year could be enough to get us over the hump.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If Greenway becomes a legit 2nd line caliber forward this season, that would be huge for us. To me though, that's less likely than Peterka/Quinn improving, and I love the potential continuity of rolling with these top 2 lines for a long time. If I think Peterka and Quinn can reach a level that their line is winning the 5v5 time on the ice, I'd rather let them figure it out together knowing that even a little improvement this year could be enough to get us over the hump.

Having someone to be the defensive conscience rather than getting their asses kicked and giving back more than they get is an issue. It's like when Hecht was the blanket for Briere. People didn't like it but it kept that line from being stepped on in their own zone.

Reactions: NotABadPeriod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad