Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The ridiculous takes top themselves each season. If one of our top 6 forwards in Peterka isn’t playing every night he’s either hurt or he has taken a massive step back.

In projected roster —only Peterka, Krebs, and Levi are waiver exempt. Krebs has a 25 game limit before he loses exemption.

if you ant to given benson and Savoie a try out then you are going to need to play the waiver game on the projected 13-7-3 roster

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Anyone else having a tough time figuring out the D that will stay with the club? Unexpected play from Joker and R. Johnson has really thrown a wrench in projected pairings.

Dahlin
Power
Samuelsson
Jokiharju
Clifton
E Johnson
Stillman
Bryson
Clague
R Johnson

With 3 goalies, they can only hang on to 13 forwards and 7 D. I think Clague is here I think because they are waiting to slip him through waivers when there is a league-wide shedding of rosters. They can paper-transact R Johnson if they want to keep him around as he has earned. That leaves an extra body to waive/trade if they don't trade a goalie.

Dahlin
Power
Samuelsson
Jokiharju
Clifton
E Johnson
Stillman
R Johnson (Roch on paper)

Clague (waiver/claimed)
Bryson (waiver/clear)

Am I missing anyone? They are probably waiting until the last minute in case there is an injury in the remaining preseason games. Have they tried R Johnson with anyone else? Seems like they are planning a top Roch pair of R Johnson/Bryson, but not sure if they will put him in any games with a top 6 partner.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Anyone else having a tough time figuring out the D that will stay with the club? Unexpected play from Joker and R. Johnson has really thrown a wrench in projected pairings.

Dahlin
Power
Samuelsson
Jokiharju
Clifton
E Johnson
Stillman
Bryson
Clague
R Johnson

With 3 goalies, they can only hang on to 13 forwards and 7 D. I think Clague is here I think because they are waiting to slip him through waivers when there is a league-wide shedding of rosters. They can paper-transact R Johnson if they want to keep him around as he has earned. That leaves an extra body to waive/trade if they don't trade a goalie.

Dahlin
Power
Samuelsson
Jokiharju
Clifton
E Johnson
Stillman
R Johnson (Roch on paper)

Clague (waiver/claimed)
Bryson (waiver/clear)

Am I missing anyone? They are probably waiting until the last minute in case there is an injury in the remaining preseason games. Have they tried R Johnson with anyone else? Seems like they are planning a top Roch pair of R Johnson/Bryson, but not sure if they will put him in any games with a top 6 partner.
Before camp, I thought it would be:

Dahlin
Power
Samuelsson
Jokiharju
Clifton
E Johnson
Stillman

Nothing has happened that makes me think otherwise. RyJo will go down to Rochester and be the first guy called up in the event of injury.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Before camp, I thought it would be:

Dahlin
Power
Samuelsson
Jokiharju
Clifton
E Johnson
Stillman

Nothing has happened that makes me think otherwise. RyJo will go down to Rochester and be the first guy called up in the event of injury.

So Bryson and Clague down to Roch free and clear? I am wondering if they expect to lose Clague.

I almost think the Sabres are going to have to make a decision on these two by January to make room for R Johnson:

Jokiharju
Stillman

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So Bryson and Clague down to Roch free and clear? I am wondering if they expect to lose Clague.

I almost think the Sabres are going to have to make a decision on these two by January to make room for R Johnson:

Jokiharju
Stillman
They didn't lose Clague last year. So, I do not know how concerned they would be this year. If anything, they could keep Bryson up and go with 8 D to start.

And I doubt they they are healthy enough on D to have a need to make room for RyJo.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If anything, they could keep Bryson up and go with 8 D to start.
They also have three goalies, they are unlikely to start with 8D and will be left with one forward in reserve. I don’t know who needs Clague, and especially Bryson with his salary, I don’t care if someone claim Clague or Bryson.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They also have three goalies, they are unlikely to start with 8D and will be left with one forward in reserve. I don’t know who needs Clague, and especially Bryson with his salary, I don’t care if someone claim Clague or Bryson.
One of Bryson, Comrie, & UPL is going to get waived. The question will be who they feel the most comfort trying to get through waivers barring them trading a goalie.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Comrie, & UPL
They will stubbornly sit on three goalies before they waive one. I think the battle between Comrie and UPL has no clear winner and with three games remaining in the preseason, I don't see enough time to get all three of them the starts they need for that evaluation. It may take 10 games or so before they make a goalie decision, and rosters need to be trimmed before then.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
One of Bryson, Comrie, & UPL is going to get waived. The question will be who they feel the most comfort trying to get through waivers barring them trading a goalie.
Bryson seems like an obvious candidate. But I still don’t like this idea with three goalies.

Reactions: Jacob582

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Jokiharju
Stillman

unnecessary.

johnson stays in Rochester. Primary RD call up. Want to give him more experience.

if you expect Johnson on the team in 24/25 then buffalo keeps one of Stillman/ bryson as 7 D or sign a different UFA

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Is that Granato quote referring to making trades? Or about giving Benson some games? Because it isn't "giving" him games. He earned it. And I have zero interest in seeing Greenway play over Benson. He did nothing to warrant a lineup spot over Benson last year at all. You know what you got with Greenway, at best he's giving you 15 goals. Benson is an electric player who could be the next Briere but with an even higher ceiling.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Is that Granato quote referring to making trades? Or about giving Benson some games? Because it isn't "giving" him games. He earned it. And I have zero interest in seeing Greenway play over Benson. He did nothing to warrant a lineup spot over Benson last year at all. You know what you got with Greenway, at best he's giving you 15 goals. Benson is an electric player who could be the next Briere but with an even higher ceiling.

Why are these two players being compared? Greenway isn’t sitting and Benson isn’t playing for his spot?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Matthews and Marner are probably better than anyone on the Sabres, but other than that...is anyone else totally not impressed with their lineup? They're trying to play Nylander at C on the 3rd line to try to spread out scoring and I don't think it will work.

If Levi is an above avg goalie...I don't want to jinx it but these two teams do not seem far apart, even on paper. They have the notably better forwards, but we have the better defense, and could end up having better goaltending.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Matthews and Marner are probably better than anyone on the Sabres, but other than that...is anyone else totally not impressed with their lineup? They're trying to play Nylander at C on the 3rd line to try to spread out scoring and I don't think it will work.

If Levi is an above avg goalie...I don't want to jinx it but these two teams do not seem far apart, even on paper. They have the notably better forwards, but we have the better defense, and could end up having better goaltending.
When I think about what we can do, I have to lower my enthusiasm. It's just as possible that they lay stagnant as it is they come out burning villages. I think talent wise the Sabres have improved and it sounds like they are being coached to a new level. If they can put together improved team defending then they can just clown teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad