Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Lance and Joe were laughing at the idea of UPL not making the team just last week in their podcast. They acted like they had insider info of some kind imo…turns out that the local reporters still don’t know any more than the average fan with regards to inside stuff.

I had a feeling at the time that their reaction wouldn’t age well and here we are only 6 days later and they sound kinda silly already. I still will always enjoy the podcast regardless.
well the idea of UPL making the team still seems pretty likely, to START, its been laid out many times how 3 goalies is a pretty easy option to begin the season, when you look at the 13/7/3 math, the early season schedule with lots of home games and light travel, the option to 'paper transaction' Levi on nights he isnt starting if they want to get a look at an Amerk, see how the goalies perform before having to make an actual decision.

Friedman 'wonders' a lot these days...without his thoughts ever coming to fruition.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
UPL will still have very few games if they go with three goalies. Which doesn't make sense. His trade will look logical.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Comrie is a UFA after this season. If Levi is great as #1 and they trade UPL, and Comrie is a good backup, then they still need a plan for next season.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Listening to Sirius NHL network on a drive just now. Sam Rosen was on to cover the Rangers and was asked if there was any way Kane returned to the Rangers. He said that door was closed and he’s heard Kane’s looking at Buffalo. Also said he knew Dallas and others were looking at him.

Comrie is a UFA after this season. If Levi is great as #1 and they trade UPL, and Comrie is a good backup, then they still need a plan for next season.
Your concern is that everyone is good?

The most likely reality is Levi is good. UPL is trash wherever he is unless it’s the OHL four years ago. And Comrie is a backup who works when he can play as little as possible.

Spoiler: That leaves them needing a long term idea at #2 goalie too.

The only scenario where they don’t need a backup next year is if UPL stays and does something he’s shown zero aptitude towards doing as a pro. Playing goaltender.

If the options are banking on that or banking on literally anything else…I’ll take the latter.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Finding number two is much easier than finding number one. If Levy is good and Comrie is okay, they could just re-sign Comrie or find someone similar in a UFA or trade next summer.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Backup goalie might be our only real offseason need next summer….with too many prospects in the system to sign/fit, it shouldn’t be too hard to find a backup goalie.

I guess that’s why I don’t care much about this whole thing as long as Levi works out as an above avg starter.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Ryan Johnson is going to be this season's Samuelsson or Pysyk - better than some guys on the NHL roster, but in Rochester by circumstance.
Depends how Stillman and Joki look + injuries. We'll see said the blind man!

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Trading UPL is no loss. My only micro concern is if he has more ceiling. I doubt it but goalies can bloom late.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Trading UPL is no loss. My only micro concern is if he has more ceiling. I doubt it but goalies can bloom late.

I had really high hopes for UPL after that one great year in the OHL, but his glove hand is a major weakness that teams repeatedly exposed last year. I doubt he is able to improve it much. On top of that he really seemed to have trouble reading/anticipating the play and also covering pucks in tight.

His size and athleticism are both great traits, but the weaknesses will always leave you wanting more, even in a backup. With Levi as the starter, I feel more comfortable with Comrie as the backup.

Reactions: Fjordy

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I had really high hopes for UPL after that one great year in the OHL, but his glove hand is a major weakness that teams repeatedly exposed last year. I doubt he is able to improve it much. On top of that he really seemed to have trouble reading/anticipating the play and also covering pucks in tight.

His size and athleticism are both great traits, but the weaknesses will always leave you wanting more, even in a backup. With Levi as the starter, I feel more comfortable with Comrie as the backup.
Slightly off topic but related Johansson with the shutout tonight and Vasilevskiy out for a couple of months. Late bloomer? Or just a good game?

Buffalo also gave up on him around the same timeline they are with UPL.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I had both Benson and Savoie more NHL ready than Rosen and Kulich at the end of last year, and my mind hasn’t changed. Rosen and Kulich are awesome prospects and I believe both are going to make it in the NHL, but they need to start the year in the AHL.

Ryan Johnson is probably good enough to be in the NHL now, but I think you start him in their AHL while the Sabres figure out what they have with rest of the defense. But johnson will come up and never get sent down at some point this season.

And I think they just need to pick one of UPL and Comrie. Enough of three goalie nonsense

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Slightly off topic but related Johansson with the shutout tonight and Vasilevskiy out for a couple of months. Late bloomer? Or just a good game?

Buffalo also gave up on him around the same timeline they are with UPL.

I didn't see the game, but I tend to believe it was just one good game. I thought he was terrible in his appearances here, and the comments about him on the Lightning board this year and the Avs board last couple years doesn't instill much confidence.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I had both Benson and Savoie more NHL ready than Rosen and Kulich at the end of last year, and my mind hasn’t changed. Rosen and Kulich are awesome prospects and I believe both are going to make it in the NHL, but they need to start the year in the AHL.

Ryan Johnson is probably good enough to be in the NHL now, but I think you start him in their AHL while the Sabres figure out what they have with rest of the defense. But johnson will come up and never get sent down at some point this season.

And I think they just need to pick one of UPL and Comrie. Enough of three goalie nonsense
We can afford the luxury of carrying 3 goalies for now, some teams run short rosters and have less spare skaters with 2 goalies. When even Martin gets picked from waivers maybe wait till all teams who would like to pick up a goalie got one before we waive one.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I doubt he makes it through waivers
I'm not sure. If a team claims a player aren't they required to keep that player on their NHL roster for 30 days?

A team with an established 1a goaltender and very little need for a backup might need someone short term. But not sure UPL has done enough to cement an NHL roster spot.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm not sure. If a team claims a player aren't they required to keep that player on their NHL roster for 30 days?

A team with an established 1a goaltender and very little need for a backup might need someone short term. But not sure UPL has done enough to cement an NHL roster spot.
The state of goaltending in the NHL overall is not very good. I can't imagine teams wouldn't take a flyer on a young guy like UPL who has upside.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
When even Martin gets picked from waivers maybe wait till all teams who would like to pick up a goalie got one before we waive one.

Martin may just be a body for camp with Tarasov hurt, but if I am Jarmo, I wouldn't hesitate to re-waive Martin (and Dell) if Comrie or UPL hit waivers.

Knowing that only the Ducks(who have Dostal, Stalock and Gibson) have higher waiver claim position, Columbus is in a pretty unique situation with the usual waiver game concern of being left without an option if you put in a claim and someone else claims a player first. It is easy for them to make waiver decisions about guys in their camp knowing they will likely have the first claim on any goalie waived by another team.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I think PK and her kids are at the game - I'm making dinner but that looked like it was them in that crowd shot.
I honestly thought you were talking about Patty Kane for a second there until I noticed you wrote 'her'. Was she a poster on this board like a decade+ ago? PK sounds familiar.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The state of goaltending in the NHL overall is not very good. I can't imagine teams wouldn't take a flyer on a young guy like UPL who has upside.
Better than running 3 goalies on the NHL roster with 2 of them being "in development." Trade him if we can get an asset back, waive him and either have him claimed or send him down to Rochester; all are better scenarios for everyone involved than having him as the #3 in Buffalo imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad