Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Matthews and Marner are probably better than anyone on the Sabres, but other than that...is anyone else totally not impressed with their lineup? They're trying to play Nylander at C on the 3rd line to try to spread out scoring and I don't think it will work.

If Levi is an above avg goalie...I don't want to jinx it but these two teams do not seem far apart, even on paper. They have the notably better forwards, but we have the better defense, and could end up having better goaltending.
ehhh I don't really agree. Matthews was below average by his standards last year, he will come out storming this year.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
When I think about what we can do, I have to lower my enthusiasm. It's just as possible that they lay stagnant as it is they come out burning villages. I think talent wise the Sabres have improved and it sounds like they are being coached to a new level. If they can put together improved team defending then they can just clown teams.
My comment was more about Toronto. I don’t feel like they’ll be a dominant regular season team this year like they usually are.

Reactions: Matt Ress

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I think PK and her kids are at the game - I'm making dinner but that looked like it was them in that crowd shot.
(and)
PK and her hubby Clock were fixtures here for years and years. I miss them here. I still stay in contact with her on FB. Life got really busy for them.
Been years since I saw the two of them in person. I hope they, A, & T are all well, especially A. They dropped me from fb (which is rare for me). (I don't post, just lurk a couple times a month and comment here and there to friends stuff. I avoid the controversial B.S. topics and Chinese social engineering attempts.
off the wall question:
I was at the arena today and saw several people eating something from the concessions that was served in a black/white/red plastic bag. They were eating it with a spoon or folk. WHAT IS THIS?
(and)
Walking taco? Bag of Doritos with taco meat, cheese, shredded lettuce and sour cream. Just guessing.
Pretty sure the chips are made with quadrotriticale, a hybrid of wheat and rye, which can grow in soils unfit for other grains. Also a beloved foodstuff of tribbles.

It's a situation where they are going to trust the process.

:sarcasm:

Which is clearly a good scenario.

=========
I don't see why they don't carry 3 goalies until they can decide whom to keep between UPL and Comrie, and I don't care if it takes 81 games to do so. They can go with 1 less skater, however they wish to do it, and simply call someone up as needed from ROC if there is injury. Emergency recall Injury rules do not require them to send a 3rd goalie down to keep the 23-man roster compliant.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't see why they don't carry 3 goalies until they can decide whom to keep between UPL and Comrie, and I don't care if it takes 81 games to do so. They can go with 1 less skater, however they wish to do it, and simply call someone up as needed from ROC if there is injury. Emergency recall Injury rules do not require them to send a 3rd goalie down to keep the 23-man roster compliant.
Biron, along with Peters and Rivet, has talked about how having three goalies on the NHL roster is not great as practices and gameday rosters are built for two goalies. Having a third goalie means that someone is getting less than ideal work in practice and someone doesn't even get to dress for games.

With all the rest that Anderson required last season, that was as close to an ideal situation for a three goalie setup. But, that is not the situation they have now and they could run the risk of UPL quitting mentally like Noronen did back in the day if they keep three goalies if Comrie outplays UPL and UPL is clearly the third wheel.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Biron, along with Peters and Rivet, has talked about how having three goalies on the NHL roster is not great as practices and gameday rosters are built for two goalies. Having a third goalie means that someone is getting less than ideal work in practice and someone doesn't even get to dress for games.

With all the rest that Anderson required last season, that was as close to an ideal situation for a three goalie setup. But, that is not the situation they have now and they could run the risk of UPL quitting mentally like Noronen did back in the day if they keep three goalies if Comrie outplays UPL and UPL is clearly the third wheel.
If UPL mentally quits then you have your answer

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Is that Granato quote referring to making trades? Or about giving Benson some games? Because it isn't "giving" him games. He earned it. And I have zero interest in seeing Greenway play over Benson. He did nothing to warrant a lineup spot over Benson last year at all. You know what you got with Greenway, at best he's giving you 15 goals. Benson is an electric player who could be the next Briere but with an even higher ceiling.
This is an odd take. They are not correlated to each other in anyway. Greenway was also still recovering most of last year and seemed to turn it up a notch when it mattered in that stretch. If anyone should be looking over their shoulder it should be Jost.

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Biron and others have also commented on how having three allows a team to manage their starter to keep them fresh by not needing the starter for some practices. *shrug* We'll see. There are more teams leaning toward a trio than in the past, perhaps that becomes a future method.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

And I agree with them, three goalies is a mistake, one goalie will always be behind or worse, all three goalies will not get the best workload for themselves.

Biron and others have also commented on how having three allows a team to manage their starter to keep them fresh by not needing the starter for some practices. *shrug* We'll see. There are more teams leaning toward a trio than in the past, perhaps that becomes a future method.
What teams use three goalies and do it successfully? Somehow I haven't heard about this. Carolina has Anderson, Raanta and Kochetkov, but Kochetkov only rises when Andersen or Raanta are injured, these are not three goalies on a permanent basis.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That helps if you have a high mileage starter that needs "load management." But, that is not the case with the group the Sabres have right now.

Plus, most times the 3rd goalie that is talked about in those cases is more of a black aces type, like they had during the COVID years, that would be happy to pull a better than AHL paycheck as opposed to a guy that really wants to play and feels that they have a bigger NHL future.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
And I agree with them, three goalies is a mistake, one goalie will always be behind or worse, all three goalies will not get the best workload for themselves.

What teams use three goalies and do it successfully? Somehow I haven't heard about this. Carolina has Anderson, Raanta and Kochetkov, but Kochetkov only rises when Andersen or Raanta are injured, these are not three goalies on a permanent basis.

Going into this season, there is indication in some reporting that the Pens, the Wings, the Flyers, the Canes, and the Kraken may all break camp with a trio along with Buffalo.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That helps if you have a high mileage starter that needs "load management." But, that is not the case with the group the Sabres have right now.

Plus, most times the 3rd goalie that is talked about in those cases is more of a black aces type, like they had during the COVID years, that would be happy to pull a better than AHL paycheck as opposed to a guy that really wants to play and feels that they have a bigger NHL future.

Not hard to think the defacto starter who is coming from the NCAA may actually need load management.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Going into this season, there is indication in some reporting that the Pens, the Wings, the Flyers, the Canes, and the Kraken may all break camp with a trio along with Buffalo.
Well, that is, this is not a proven technology and it is not known what it will look like.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Of all the potentially extra or expendable D-men and goalies, Bryson is the least valuable and most likely to pass through waivers. That's all this should come down to. Forget about if other teams carry three Gs, or which G is better than the other...Bryson is not going to stay a Sabre and his cap hit is not worth a claim by another team. Waive Bryson, leave him in Rochester, call up RyJo if you need another guy, send him back with no consequences, let Bryson go next summer unless a team wants to give KA a 5th-7th rd pick at some point. If Bryson gets claimed, he'll end up on the same path as Fitzgerald...who cares? There's too much left to determine about the goalie situation, so may as well keep three until it clears up.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Flyers waived Cal Petersen today.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

Agreed - it worked with Anderson, who needed lots of rest and did not need a lot of reps to keep his game sharp. UPL and Levi in particular need heavy reps to mature their game. They won't get enough games with 3 goalies on the roster (barring injury). Ideally, one of them goes to Roch -- if they can slip through waivers.

Reactions: Fjordy

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Biron went through a 3 goalie situation in his career 20 years ago. I think he lacks objectivity

Of all the potentially extra or expendable D-men and goalies, Bryson is the least valuable and most likely to pass through waivers. That's all this should come down to. Forget about if other teams carry three Gs, or which G is better than the other...Bryson is not going to stay a Sabre and his cap hit is not worth a claim by another team. Waive Bryson, leave him in Rochester, call up RyJo if you need another guy, send him back with no consequences, let Bryson go next summer unless a team wants to give KA a 5th-7th rd pick at some point. If Bryson gets claimed, he'll end up on the same path as Fitzgerald...who cares? There's too much left to determine about the goalie situation, so may as well keep three until it clears up.

bryson likeky clears. He’s going to be the call up if thry need a 7 th spare Dman or long term call up. Mid season they call up RyJo to play. By then they might trade sme players.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Flyers waived Cal Petersen today.

giphy.gif

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
No, funny if we picked him back up after all this time. Under contract to his drafting team whether he likes it or not.
Ahh

I really didn’t see anything of him once he left. What the heck happened? Is there any chance it’s totally his fault for forcing his way onto a roster well before he was ready and it mentally crushing him as a prospect? Cause then I can say comeuppance without feeling that guilty that a guys dreams are dying like I would for a player that just reached the limit of his skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad