Speculation: Sabres 1st round pick (11th overall) in play

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Buffalo isn't a player away from shit all.

Moving the 11th pick would be moronic.

Reactions: Kegs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What are the Sabres targets? We can assume they are after improvements for the now vs the later.

Goalie
Winger
Center
Defenseman (offensive or defensive)

I don't think they will move it for a player who has term running out. Probable for a RFA who is still under team control.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
If D - something around Cam Fowler. 2 years left, M-NTC but he's from Ontario so likely happy if Buffalo come calling. He'd add experience to a young D core.

The Ducks also have Ryan Strome but he's not the sort of 3C they need (but would be an upgrade with experience at present)

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
If D - something around Cam Fowler. 2 years left, M-NTC but he's from Ontario so likely happy if Buffalo come calling. He'd add experience to a young D core.

The Ducks also have Ryan Strome but he's not the sort of 3C they need (but would be an upgrade with experience at present)

Buffalo can have Strome for a mid round pick. Fowler probably wouldn't waive for Buffalo.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I could see Vegas making Nic Roy available. Not sure if they would be interested in 11th OA though, probably one one of your ELC prospects like Kulich instead.
Buffalo fans having been pining after him all year, and Kulich or any other prospect would likely be available for him. I guess his availability depends on what happens with Karlsson and Stephenson...they could be desperate for centers sooner than later.

Ledge And Dairy

Buffalo fans having been pining after him all year, and Kulich or any other prospect would likely be available for him. I guess his availability depends on what happens with Karlsson and Stephenson...they could be desperate for centers sooner than later.
Stephenson is almost certainly gone but Karlsson is locked up for the same term as Roy right now. getting someone like Kulich to come in on an ELC for 3 more years and possible jump directly into a top 9 role would be pretty big for them. I'm not a Vegas fan so I can't speak for them though

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

Getting a young wing on an ELC like Kulich is about the only way I could see Vegas moving Roy.

Ledge And Dairy

True but you can have a agreement with him before.
You really can't. You can't officially talk negotiations until the final year of your deal and you can't give a player permission to talk to another team for no reason at all. Rantanen has significantly more value to Colorado than he does on the market. Just like with Marner you aren't getting more than a full years rental value for him, especially not before teams can legally talk to him

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Buffalo DOES NOT need any D. Dahlin, Power Samuelson Byram Joker Clifton Ryan Johnson. Where is there space? Center or winger only. Bad team D on a team with poor structure does not mean you need to upgrade your D.

Also please don't bother asking for Peterka. We are not trading our potential 40 goal scorer on a team that struggles to score.
We need a top 4 RD like DeMelo or Roy type because Jokiharju can't pair well with either Byram or Power and we can't rely on Samuelsson because of his injuries. We definitely need a right-handed defenseman, although 3C is a higher priority right now.

Reactions: TheBarnIsElectric

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
You really can't. You can't officially talk negotiations until the final year of your deal and you can't give a player permission to talk to another team for no reason at all. Rantanen has significantly more value to Colorado than he does on the market. Just like with Marner you aren't getting more than a full years rental value for him, especially not before teams can legally talk to him
Everybody talk before a trade . Often a New contract is announced just after the trade. Or after 1 july. A value for a top 5 winger in a league is very high.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

I would think this would be a piece that remains with the team long term. If they add even one player who is a legitimate factor coupled with the goaltending stability they seemed to find down the stretch they should absolutely challenge for playoffs.

Ledge And Dairy

Everybody talk before a trade . Often a New contract is announced just after the trade. Or after 1 july. A value for a top 5 winger in a league is very high.
Players who are traded are almost always in the final year of their deal, especially in a summer deal. Very rarely is a player entering their final year before UFA traded in the summer prior to the draft. Here is the list of all those players moved for 1sts from that respective years draft since the 05 lockout:
Seth Jones + 31st - 12th OA (the draft was held July 23rd so he was allowed to discuss an extension prior to the trade), this trade is very commonly viewed as a fleece for Columbus (mainly due to the lottery protected 1st in 2022)
Rasmus Ristolainen - 14th OA (again draft was July 23rd, but no extension was discussed prior to the trade, just a trade request from Risto afaik), again this trade is generally viewed as a fleece by the selling team
Ryan Reaves + 51st - 31st OA and young prospect
Milan Lucic - 13th OA (46% retained by Boston)
Jordan Staal - 8th OA (it was highly likely he would sign an extension due to the family connection)
Brent Burns + future 2nd - 28th OA
*Ben Eager + Brent Sopel - 24th OA (Byfuglien was the main piece in this trade though)
Chris Pronger - 21st OA
Mike Cammalleri - 17th OA
Alex Tanguey - 25th OA
Vesa Toskala - 13th OA

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I thought Buffalo collected high end prospects as a hobby. I’m shocked they are open to trading this pick away.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010

Not necessarily. It could help set things up further. I look at the Miller trade, basically cost them 20th overall. While the Canucks were much more than one player away from anything, they would be way worse off using #20 than they would have been with Miller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad