Rumor: S.I.: Bruins & Leafs linked to PK Subban

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
For sure on the team needs, but you need to pump…no slam…the breaks on Lyle.

One thing that a DeBrusk+Moore for Subban at 50% deal would do is mean they could re-sign Hertl when Subban walks, while also give them some much needed offense from the blue line.

Do not even slam the breaks on that proposal but jump out of the car and let it go over the cliff. Use Jake, Moore and whatever else we can do to improve the real need this year. To me that is a Left Dee partner for Mac that is not a soft small guy like Grizz. Coyle will be fine and Stud may surprise some as he put on weight, training with Lyle this off season.

The Devils already gave up on Moore, why take him back. Hertl would be nice but we ignore that he has had 3 major injuries to his knees, buyer beware. I stand by my Lyle for the 3rd pairing over PK - cheaper, bigger and can provide the same offense. Let him work towards establishing himself versus another old journeyman. Lyle has been better in the AHL over Zboril or Vaak.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Only way this works is if it's something along the lines of Subban 50% retained + one of their good young stars for Marner/Nylander + Holl as a base
Sure you're a Leafs fan?

Marner/Nylander + Holl for Holtz/Mercer + Subban @50% seems crazy for Toronto.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Honestly I don't get where the misconception comes that PK is bad for the locker room. Thats all I hear about from other fanbases but as a devils fan there has been 0 problems with him. Infact I would say the opposite. He's a great mouthpiece & he sticks up for the younger guys in the room. Seems like a team player. I think the problem stems from him having social media. They see that & think he's focused on that rather then hockey. People had high expectations of him because of his 9mill contract. He's actually still a very good player. If you put him in a role to succeed he will do it. He's not worth 9 million but with retention he's a good dman aslong as he's not on the top pair.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
^
It was on McCown and Shannon's podcast.

not exactly. He said he isn’t thinking about a player a year from ufa.

this is the only thing he can say. You can’t talk about a player under contracts.

That would be tampering

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
not exactly. He said he isn’t thinking about a player a year from ufa.

this is the only thing he can say. You can’t talk about a player under contracts.

That would be tampering
Exactly.
He said what he could to dismiss what most recognize as clickbait in the first place.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
I always love the idea of uniting brothers/family on one team.

Instead of trading away PK, the Devils should acquire Malcolm. Go ahead and scoop up Jordan back off the Hershey roster while you're at it.

Heck, see what cousin Marselis is up to.

And let's be honest. You could do a lot worse than adding Raegan to your franchise.

tumblr_px0ae7IUmu1y1187po1_640.jpg

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Probably would make sense to give an idea aprox where in the video. Not gonna listen to a 45 minute video

26:20

Paraphrased:

Host: There's been speculation on interest in P.K. Subban. Is that even possible given the cap situation?
Dubas: I can definitely say that we have not thought a single thing about any player who is a free agent a year from now.

-------------

Could be interpreted as that Dubas was answering whether they'd have interest in Subban as a free agent rather than a trade option for this season as the host meant to allude to. They had a quick chuckle after the one host posed the question since Dubas obviously couldn't say anything specific at the risk of tampering.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I wouldn't expect anything regarding Subban until closer to the trade deadline. Even the questionable source in the original post said he didn't think Subban would be moved until later this season. The Devils trading an impending free agent who they likely have no interest in re-signing isn't a big shocker. Anybody suggesting an imminent move is just reading the headline and making up their own story.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
that's a tricky part. I don't see teams paying the extra value to get a 3rd team on board to eat cap space on him, so whoever would get him is paying 4.5 AAV, with NJ eating half. Then NJ has to worry about adding a Dman somehow lol

edit: although an answer here could be that NJ receives a Dman back that is roughly 4.5 AAV. That might actually work out if it's a better complement, with Hamilton taking most offensive RHD situations.
For this rumor to make sense on the Devils end someone would have to have to actually want Subban because we don’t need the cap space this season and we already paid most of his 8m salary this season with a 6m signing bonus.

And we have zero depth on the right side of the defense so he isn’t particularly blocking any older prospects.

And even at 50% it seems like it would have to involve a cap dump which means a team would really have to make it worth our while or we won’t make ourselves worse to move him right now. (And we really don’t have anyone else on RD so that would make us worse.)

The trade deadline seems like when this sort thing usually happens if it does.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Devils gonna retain 50%?

New Jersey already paid Subban a 6 million dollar bonus so retaining 50% of his remaining salary wouldn't be a big deal in order to maximize the number of teams who could fit him under the cap around the trade deadline. Seems like standard procedure nowadays, last deadline saw 50% retention on Hall, Savard, Foligno, Palmieri, and even a guy like Patrik Nemeth.

UseTheBoards

Aug 13, 2021
www.si.com
Ah, I didn't know it was structured like that. He could be valuable to a team around the 1-3m mark for sure, so this could be interesting.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Ah, I didn't know it was structured like that. He could be valuable to a team around the 1-3m mark for sure, so this could be interesting.

His cap hit would still remain 4.5 mil if/when the Devils retain 50% but usually the prorated cap hit is more manageable for playoff clubs closer to the deadline. But that's why dealing Subban right now doesn't make a ton of sense since most teams don't have 4.5 mil in cap space to play with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad