Rumor: S.I.: Bruins & Leafs linked to PK Subban

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
This makes no sense at all.

Subban is expensive, hasn't been good in years, and has a large and flashy personality.

This is basically the absolute last thing the Leafs need

Reactions: BaBaBruins

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I dont see how the leafs can afford him with their current cap structure. Even at 50% retention there would need to be equal salary (or close to it) going out.

Plus, pk at 50% would be decent enough to garner some modicum of assets, which the leafs also are kind of lacking. Poor fit salary wise.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Where did this rumor even come from? Financially it makes no sense for the Leafs, even at 4.5 we can't afford him. Not like his value is very high anyways given his play the last few years.

Is this just New Jersey trying to get people to kick tires on him because they want him gone?

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
Gryz McAvoy
Reilly Carlo
Forbort Subban

DeBrusk + Moore for Subban with retention actually works out.

Everyone sells low!
Bruins need a #1 LD and #2 Center. An aging expensive bottom pairing RD, with a me me attitude is the last thing they need. I would rather have Lyle over him any day. He is probably already better.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Where did this rumor even come from? Financially it makes no sense for the Leafs, even at 4.5 we can't afford him. Not like his value is very high anyways given his play the last few years.

Is this just New Jersey trying to get people to kick tires on him because they want him gone?

Seems like people are just reading the headline and drawing their own conclusions.

Here's the TL;DR version:

- Jimmy Murphy, a questionable source, says that Boston and Toronto had previously checked in on Subban. He doesn't expect anything to happen until closer to the trade deadline.

- New Jersey moving an impending UFA at the trade deadline isn't the craziest idea. Since we already paid Subban's significant bonus, eating his cap hit closer to the deadline makes more sense than moving him now.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I legit do not see the fit. He would be brought in to be our 3rd pair RD and run PP2?

Gr8Hornytoads

Sep 5, 2021
If this was just a Leafs rumour I might believe it.

Nobody should want PK 100% retained. I’m sure Jersey would trade him into the abyss for SFA if they could.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins need a #1 LD and #2 Center. An aging expensive bottom pairing RD, with a me me attitude is the last thing they need. I would rather have Lyle over him any day. He is probably already better.

For sure on the team needs, but you need to pump…no slam…the breaks on Lyle.

One thing that a DeBrusk+Moore for Subban at 50% deal would do is mean they could re-sign Hertl when Subban walks, while also give them some much needed offense from the blue line.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
Leafs need a Bogosian replacement not a worse version of Rielly with a PK Subban .
If Subban is a leaf they can sign him for 900k in the off season

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Kerfoot to NJ is a non starter. The Devils drafted Kerfoot and he walked away from them (took college grad route to ufa rather than signed with the team that drafted him), there’s no going back.
Who cares though? If Kerfoot was a pure cap dump I would probably take him. I’m not too thrilled with our short term 3C options. If they want assets for him I’m not interested but being weird about him signing elsewhere in 2017 is pointless.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He really doesn’t have a me me attitude. He is an RD though and that’s a rarer, therefore pricier asset so if you need LD then, yeah, I don’t get it either.
And he’s expensive even at 1/2 off. (A #1 LD would be too but that’s a problem for your team to solve.)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Do the Devils need more cap or something?? Send PK to the Sabres with a 2nd and be rid of him..
that's a tricky part. I don't see teams paying the extra value to get a 3rd team on board to eat cap space on him, so whoever would get him is paying 4.5 AAV, with NJ eating half. Then NJ has to worry about adding a Dman somehow lol

edit: although an answer here could be that NJ receives a Dman back that is roughly 4.5 AAV. That might actually work out if it's a better complement, with Hamilton taking most offensive RHD situations.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I would love to see Toronto get him. He would be a calm stabilizing force on a team that could use some veteran leadership....

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Subban on the Bruins would anger both B's fans and Habs fans.. so please let it happen for the laughs.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
from the Leafs perspective it could be a temporary replacement for Rielly's role if contract talks aren't going well. otherwise it doesn't make much sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad