Value of: Ryan Strome

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
No bud. Calgary could NOT get Strome for Backlund. Try offering something that the isles actually covet.

As an Oil fan who sees a lot of Backlund, the Flames would be crazy to trade him for Strome. He's one of the better 3C's in the game and is great defensively while putting up some decent offensive numbers.

I get that Strome was moved out of his comfort zone by being shifted to wing, but let's not act like he was paired with plugs all year - the guy spent a ton of time playing with Tavares and did squat.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
As an Oil fan who sees a lot of Backlund, the Flames would be crazy to trade him for Strome. He's one of the better 3C's in the game and is great defensively while putting up some decent offensive numbers.

I get that Strome was moved out of his comfort zone by being shifted to wing, but let's not act like he was paired with plugs all year - the guy spent a ton of time playing with Tavares and did squat.

3 backlunds couldn't land strome.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Let's not act as if Strome has not drawn major props from his coaches and d the press for his strong defensive play in 2014-2015.

Let's not act as if Strome has not shown high end offensive skill at the nhl level.

If the nyi front office and majority of the nyi fans are willing to be patient, WHY do opposing fans care? :sarcasm:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
3 backlunds couldn't land strome.

Now that's blatantly untrue. While I do think Strome is more valuable, Backlund is an incredible player and you do yourself a disservice to talk about him like that. Backlund is basically a Frans Nielsen type.

Anyway, if you were looking for an expansion ineligible forward for Strome, are either of Timo Meier or Nikolay Goldobin appealing?

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Now that's blatantly untrue. While I do think Strome is more valuable, Backlund is an incredible player and you do yourself a disservice to talk about him like that. Backlund is basically a Frans Nielsen type.

Anyway, if you were looking for an expansion ineligible forward for Strome, are either of Timo Meier or Nikolay Goldobin appealing?

Definitely, but I think it makes more sense for us to just keep him and hope he produces.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Can't see much of a reason to trade Strome now. His value is obviously pretty low, but he still has pretty good potential. I think anyone expecting a top-line player needs to rethink that. I don't see a lot of top-line players that have struggled quite as much as Strome did as a 22 year old. Some at 18-19-20, but not at 22, 3 years into their NHL career.

However, I don't see any reason to bet against him being a good #2 center in a year or two. His numbers were down last year, way down, but he still had positive possession numbers and he scored 50 points the year before.

Given his age (just turned 23), possession numbers, past success and pedigree, it seems pretty likely that last year was the aberration.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Let's not act as if Strome has not drawn major props from his coaches and d the press for his strong defensive play in 2014-2015.

Let's not act as if Strome has not shown high end offensive skill at the nhl level.

well, by the other edge of that sword, lets not act as if he did either of those two things last season. and a player is evaluated/judged by his current or most recent season. and his last season absolutely sucked.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Very true. Isles would be bashed left and right if they rewarded Strong with a big contract, coming off a 28 pt season.

Snow's not doing his job , if he does not offer a team friendly deal that gives Strome security and Strome's rep should be encouraging Strome to take a 1-2 yr bridge deal, gambling that he can cash in down the road.

Who said Strome should be rewarded with a big contract.
Didn't new owners say Isles want to be a world class destination for players.
If they play hardball like they did with Bailey after his ELC then they are still a country club.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
if garth says "prove your value too this team and you will be paid" how is that playing hardball? and he hasnt proven a whole hell of a lot..........

Hard ball is when a player has to go to europe because he didn't sign within Snow's timeline - remember Sean Bergenheim.

Hard ball is when Bailey had to play for less than his qualifier after his ELC expired.

Call it world class slavery.

What has Snow proven as a GM - remember Niederreiter, Collberg, Capuano ...

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Hard ball is when a player has to go to europe because he didn't sign within Snow's timeline - remember Sean Bergenheim.

Hard ball is when Bailey had to play for less than his qualifier after his ELC expired.

You've got a strange idea of what slavery is. There are online dictionaries to help you out thankfully.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

This was Wang's policy... Even when Snow was a player for him.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
This was Wang's policy... Even when Snow was a player for him.

I'm sure Frans Nielsen never forgot what happened to his friend Sean Bergenheim when he missed to sign at Snow's deadline and Bergenheim might have been forced to sign for less than his qualifier too, same what happened to Bailey.

Could be a reason why Nielsen signed somewhere else because he knows Snow's antics, even with new owners.

Will be interesting how it goes for Strome. If it takes so long to sign Strome it can't be a world class destination for players.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Ryan Strome is Cody Hodgeson 2.0

brothers1.jpg

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I'm sure Frans Nielsen never forgot what happened to his friend Sean Bergenheim when he missed to sign at Snow's deadline and Bergenheim might have been forced to sign for less than his qualifier too, same what happened to Bailey.

Could be a reason why Nielsen signed somewhere else because he knows Snow's antics, even with new owners.

Will be interesting how it goes for Strome. If it takes so long to sign Strome it can't be a world class destination for players.

(mod) Nielsen signed two contracts after what happened with Bergenheim. Bailey lost out on a better second contract after his awful 2010-11 season, he deserved exactly what he got in his contract. He also got wayyyy overpaid on his current contract. He wouldn't be in the NHL if it wasn't for Garth. Strome will sign just like Nelson did.

We also don't know if the "sign before training camp" policy applies with the new owners, so this could all be for nothing.

(mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

But again... this was Wang's policy. Even when Snow was a player for the Isles this policy has existed. So I don't understand faulting Snow for adhearing to his Boss/Owner's policy.

Bergenheim signed to play in another league (Russia I think) then bolted after a month to one of the Scandinavian leagues. I believe he fired his agent... who clearly misguided him. Moreover, it was reported that Snow assured Bergenheim the Isles were still interested in him and would welcome him back the following year... Which they did.

Nielsen signed team friendly deals; giving up UFA years, after Bergenheim had left the Isles. Why would he have been put off by the Isles treatment of Bergenheim now but not then?

EDIT: oops missed slapshot's post. Duplicated much of his point.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
His value certainly isn't what it was. He needs to have a good year or he will be considered to be approaching under whelming top pick.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Nielsen signed team friendly deals; giving up UFA years, after Bergenheim had left the Isles. Why would he have been put off by the Isles treatment of Bergenheim now but not then?

I see it as CREW99AW does, on page 2 he posted this.

Snow tried stringing Nielsen along because the new majority owners wanted to make a run at Stamkos. I think just 7-10 days before July 1st, it was reported that Snow and Nielsen's rep were making real progress on an extension. Nielsen had said months before how badly he wanted to stay.
Nielsen imo soured on Snow's actions and after TB extended Stamkos,Snow tried turning back to Nielsen who no longer wanted any part of Snow and the isles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad