Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Can anyone tell me more about Ryan McLeod?
3RD liner who plays the full length of the ice.

As an oiler fan I thought you guys were very high on Savoie? Has he fallen or is this a thing where we had an extra nhl ready body and guys have a lot of prospects? Brw TT is suppose to be a good two way player

Reactions: Club

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
Many of my friends and family are from Buffalo so I genuinely hope the Sabres turn a corner soon here, even as a Wings fan.

Trading for Ryan McLeod to get tougher to play against is like building an origami bomb shelter.

He wins faceoffs, PKs really well, and has all the defensive fancy stats you'd want. That sounds like being hard to play against. You might be conflating "toughness" with "tough to play against", two different animals.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Savoie could have returned Draisatl and people would be pissed. Savoie is a smallish forward with shoulder injuries, he has a great release and is a goal scorer. The first part can really de-rail the second part and we still have smaller goal scorers available to us. Really like this trade unless my name is Peyton Krebs.
Holy strawman….

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Not coming to troll but I am a huge Matthew Savoie. I'm from the Oilers board. Can you guys let us know why Buffalo is even doing this??
Savoie was a bit redundant in the Sabres system. We desperately needed a 3C as before this, it was Peyton Krebs.

It also frees up a bit of a clog in Rochester for this upcoming year.

We traded a good prospect for help right now.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
3RD liner who plays the full length of the ice.

As an oiler fan I thought you guys were very high on Savoie? Has he fallen or is this a thing where we had an extra nhl ready body and guys have a lot of prospects? Brw TT is suppose to be a good two way player
It's absolutely a case of where we had/have a number of similar prospects and needed help right now.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Benson, McLeod and Greenway all have strong defensive play. The fourth line can fly and hit.

These are matchup moves. Don had neither the horses nor the acumen for what Lindy is going to do game to game shift to shift this year.

Zucker is a one year stopgap to fill in a top six role (and flip around with Benson some I’d imagine) for Kulich and company to develop more and not be forced into a spot they may not be ready for. I’d like a better winger…but the process makes sense. And Zucker can still play.

There is more of an actual team here than there has been in…how long? Any time in recent or not even that recent memory.

Yes…Savoie is a lot to give up. But they didn’t give it up for Erat on his last legs. McLeod is 24 and is good already. He fits every box in what they want from age to speed to position to defensive metrics. If you value prospects over roster building I’m sorry you had a bad day. But you should know that Kulich, Helenius, Ostlund, Rosen and Wahlberg are still too many high end forward prospects to ever play together.

They gave up Savoie and 43 and what did they get?

Better

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Screenshot_20240705_171252_Chrome.jpeg

How soon people forget.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Some people are just waiting for a trade/signing that is just an objective win value-wise. Not only is that probably not gonna happen because it's Buffalo and no matter how confident Adams acts every team in the league knows we're 13 years out of the playoffs, retooling and coming from a place of zero leverage dealing mostly futures... but winning trades purely on value isn't what we need. We need to bring back pieces that fit specific needs, which they seem to have isolated as defensive forwards that are tough to play against (either via size or speed).

From what I'm seeing, this trade is a loss in value but a win in team needs. I'll take the W.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
If you are feeling optimistic about this trade, don't read the main board thread about it, lol. It is being universally panned.
We’ve earned it. It’s easy to argue that it’s bad asset management. I’d agree with that. But given where we are and where we need to go, I’m glad Adams was willing to pull the trigger on a trade like this.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
RE: McLeod.

He's one of the fastest players in the NHL. Almost indistinguishable from McDavid without the puck at top speed. He's an excellent PKer and gets strong EV results from deep in the roster, but struggles with offensive consistency. Wouldn't make too much out of his scratch in the playoffs. He got back in and scored 3 goals in the 7 game series against the Panthers.

He's a solid middle-six winger and a decent 3/4 centre. At 24 going on 25, with 200 games, there's room to grow.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
We’ve earned it. It’s easy to argue that it’s bad asset management. I’d agree with that. But given where we are and where we need to go, I’m glad Adams was willing to pull the trigger on a trade like this.
There's a larger point here that's undeniable.

The Malenstyn and McLeod trades, in part, are because Adams spent the previous 2 years not building a team.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
So this basically boils down to -

Mitts and Savoie out

Byram and McLeod in (and Tullio)

I'd rather have the first option and have KA throw money or a trade package at a better fitting D-man, but having dug the hole after the Byram trade I can't blame him for overpaying a bit for McLeod.

I'm not too bothered by losing Savoie because as talented as he might be, he's had shoulder issues and probably wouldn't be the type of player to contend well with a playoff caliber forecheck and physicality. OTOH, I like McLeod as a 3C but it's a major concern that he plays soft. So it's a potentially soft but talented W prospect for a lesser skilled and soft but fast defensive C.

It's a slightly unfortunate ending to a problem KA brought on himself, but I'm much happier with McLeod taking 3C than Krebs, so it's a consolation prize for a TDL move that I hated. Can't cry over it, something had to be done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad