Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
People are too in love with Benson. He is a slow skater for his size and has a bad shot. He is not a high-end offensive player.
Capture.PNG

iu

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
The problem was he isn't the same type of player as those, Rosen is the only other similar type and he was further down the board. They also got a 4C in EDM as a return for a top 10 pick who finally had an opportunity this year to show what he was worth and they decided they didn't even want to look.
He’s not a 4c …and if the Sabres could have gotten more for Savoie it would have happened.

Look at mcleods analytics - they are very good

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He’s not a 4c …and if the Sabres could have gotten more for Savoie it would have happened.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011

He was Edmontons 4C after they acquired Henrique. He would’ve been their 4C this year had they not moved him.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Exactly! Benson also scored almost as many 5v5 points as bedard as well - I’ll try to dig up that cart and post it…but point is that’s benson in the NHL vs a generational rookie of the same age. Savoie has done wear exactly in the nhl?

Benson is excellent not overrated

He was Edmontons 4C after they acquired Henrique. He would’ve been their 4C this year had they not moved him.
They have like 6 centers and he played 2LW at times as well…so by your logic is he then a 2nd liner?

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Exactly! Benson also scored almost as many 5v5 points as bedard as well - I’ll try to dig up that cart and post it…but point is that’s benson in the NHL vs a generational rookie of the same age. Savoie has done wear exactly in the nhl?

They have like 6 centers and he played 2LW at times as well…so by your logic is he then a 2nd liner?
No, by my logic he was clearly below McDavid, Drai and Henrique in terms of centers. RNH has been playing wing. He was their fourth line center, it’s not really a debate.

Go ask any Oilers fan where he would’ve slotted into the lineup. Or go look what line he was on in the playoffs.

Reactions: Chainshot

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
No, by my logic he was clearly below McDavid, Drai and Henrique in terms of centers. RNH has been playing wing. He was their fourth line center, it’s not really a debate.

Go ask any Oilers fan where he would’ve slotted into the lineup. Or go look what line he was on in the playoffs.
just because your depth pushed a player down doesn't mean that is their capabilities.
Example John Tavares was Canada's 4th line center at Sochi is his career average skill that of a 4th liner? no.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
just because your depth pushed a player down doesn't mean that is their capabilities.
Example John Tavares was Canada's 4th line center at Sochi is his career average skill that of a 4th liner? no.
You’re using an Olympic team argument to make your point?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He was their 4c after Henrique re-signed and they needed to push that cap money elsewhere.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

He had one chance to play in the NHL and got injured. He did great in his rehab stint in the AHL and Adams refused to even give him a look in the NHL and sent him back. Kulich and Rosen have been sitting in Rochester and still can't make the roster even with injuries.

It is very clear they did not give Savoie an opportunity. It's not like he had any development issues, just stuck in a league he was too good for.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Benson was as good as if not better than Savoie while a year younger on the same team.
You aren't a complete player in your teens. That might just mean Benson had reached his potential earlier. It's not like he all of a sudden will develop blazing speed and a Kulich level shot. What is the upside in Benson? His overall game already looks mature, but I don't see more than 15-20 goals in him. Is that enough on a second line wing? His playmaking ability is naturally going to suffer on the wing with less space and freedom, and he doesn't have the speed to create his space, and no length to protect the puck, or size. It's fine if you all like Benson better, he may be, but I don't see anyone in this organization with ppg potential anymore.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
You aren't a complete player in your teens. That might just mean Benson had reached his potential earlier. It's not like he all of a sudden will develop blazing speed and a Kulich level shot. What is the upside in Benson? His overall game already looks mature, but I don't see more than 15-20 goals in him. Is that enough on a second line wing? His playmaking ability is naturally going to suffer on the wing with less space and freedom, and he doesn't have the speed to create his space, and no length to protect the puck, or size. It's fine if you all like Benson better, he may be, but I don't see anyone in this organization with ppg potential anymore.
Not to derail this thread with Benson stuff - but did you watch Sam Reinharts early years? I’m pretty sure he didn’t beat a goalie clean until his third year in the league. Now he scored 57 goals. A shot can definitely improve.

Benson probably won’t ever be an elite skater. He looked slow last year, but if he can carve out even average skating I think that’s all he’s going to need to be an effective NHL player.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Not to derail this thread with Benson stuff - but did you watch Sam Reinharts early years? I’m pretty sure he didn’t beat a goalie clean until his third year in the league. Now he scored 57 goals. A shot can definitely improve.

Benson probably won’t ever be an elite skater. He looked slow last year, but if he can carve out even average skating I think that’s all he’s going to need to be an effective NHL player.
Last season was an outlier, he's probably back to 35-40 next year. He was always a goal scorer, just in the dirty areas. I don't think anyone doubts Bensons ability to be an effective hockey player. It's simply the ceiling comparison and Savoie was the #1 on our team for that.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Edmonton has the best Center spine in the league ... the fact he would be playing 4C on Edmonton doesn't make him a 4C
Yup, but you'd hope that would've lowered his value a bit. Adams paid a hefty price, but very few teams are going to destroy their center spine for an unknown player. EDM is just one of the few teams who has tge center spine to trade a player like that.

It does appear the McLeod has the skillset to hold down our 3C spot for the foreseeable future while also being a swiss army knife player who can play top-6 mins in a pinch. That speed and two-way play is an intriguing combo, so it makes sense why Adams targeted him. I just wish the cost wasn't Savoie, but we dealt from an area of surplus.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Edmonton has the best Center spine in the league ... the fact he would be playing 4C on Edmonton doesn't make him a 4C
Plenty of Oilers fans didn’t want him as a 3C though:

Lots more of these. All before the trade happened. Acting like we acquired some stud 3C is silly. His advanced stats are good but 99% of Oilers fans would do this trade again.

• Haha
Reactions: BFLO and HOOats

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I also think he has the potential to score over 30 points per season depending on who his wingers are or if he plays some games on the Tage/Cozens wing.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
He had one chance to play in the NHL and got injured. He did great in his rehab stint in the AHL and Adams refused to even give him a look in the NHL and sent him back. Kulich and Rosen have been sitting in Rochester and still can't make the roster even with injuries.

It is very clear they did not give Savoie an opportunity. It's not like he had any development issues, just stuck in a league he was too good for.
Did he get hurt in that one game? I don’t know why I don’t remember that. I just remember him being invisible for the 3-4mins he was allegedly on the ice and then sitting the entire 2nd and 3rd periods.

If there was an injury it couldn’t have been that significant, he was playing for Wenatchee five days later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad