Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
As for what you guys gave up? SAvoie looks to be an all or nothing prospect. Sabres obviously soured on him for a reason. he is a small forward and the question is can he with stand the NHL hitting and stuff
It's up to him. I believe he is skilled enough to adapt to the speed, and smart enough to adjust his game. Good luck to him. I don't believe he lost any fans in Buffalo over the trade.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's up to him. I believe he is skilled enough to adapt to the speed, and smart enough to adjust his game. Good luck to him. I don't believe he lost any fans in Buffalo over the trade.

I think the sabres team lost faith in him. Most Sabres fans are annoyed you guys did not get more

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
I think the sabres team lost faith in him. Most Sabres fans are annoyed you guys did not get more
Not sure they have lost faith, but Savoie has been injured a few times,

Think 99.9% of us (know) the Sabres paid to much

It's like a millionaire that pays $100,000 for a car that is worth $70,000, he can afford it and it won't drain his bank account

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Been stewing on this one for a few days now to collect my thoughts and pour over all the data to help me understand it. I was very happy we got a real 3C, but I absolutely winced when I saw that Savoie was the package sent in return. I know that Savoie's development has hit a few snags, mainly due to injury and his unfortunate birth date, but I was still really high on him. It seems that the league, and the Sabres, were not so high on him anymore. I think his stock fell considerably with a lackluster D+1 year, no invite to the WJC, and next to no pro-experience. Benson having passed him completely, and Kulich/Rosen having two years of solid pro-experience as well as Ostlund/Wahlberg/Helenius in the pipeline meant that Savoie was expendable. The Sabres were including Savoie in every big trade package they've tried to work out this offseason (reported by Chad D), so he was a goner no matter what.

It's also one of many indicators of a pretty recent surge of just how highly size is valued in players. Which is extra unfortunate because the Sabres sure didn't draft like it for a few years. Not to mention he most likely wasn't going to make it onto the roster (the Buffalo freakin' Sabres) in his D+3 year which is disappointing for a top 10 pick no matter which way you swing it. However, I still think it's an overpay at the end of the day. Savoie's ceiling is very high and just being able to clear cap and add a player on an ELC is a big win for the Oilers. Even if Savoie caps out as a 2nd line winger, there are far worse assignments then having Draisaitl feeding you pucks.

As for McCleod, I'm much higher on him than it seems a lot of people are. I know he's not a big producer on offense, and not particularly physical either, but he's a tough guy to play against. His defensive metrics are phenomenal, and he consistently won his on-ice goal share without playing with McDraisaitl. McCleod will be a staple on what looks to be a really strong PK unit, with him and all the other free agent additions we've made. Lindy coaches a very in your face, forechecking-heavy style of play with lots of speed and McCleod fits that system perfectly. Besides, he doesn't need to hit with all the other hitters we have on the team now. I think he's really good value for a 3C and someone that helps make the team better right away. I have to commend Adams for assembling what looks like an actual team with an identity, a welcome change. If he can somehow manage 40 points, I'll call it a win. I still think we need to bring in another top 6 winger to provide more scoring, get it done GMKA.

Wishing the best for Matty, I was really looking forward to watching him play on a stacked Amerks team this year and am sad to miss out on that sort of glorious experience. Hope he kills it out west.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It's like a millionaire that pays $100,000 for a car that is worth $70,000, he can afford it and it won't drain his bank account
There is a reason we call picks, prospects, and players assets. They are all part of the overall value of the franchise. You miss the playoffs for 13 years, that has a deflationary effect on EVERYTHING - season ticket sales go down, advertising revenue goes down, merchandising goes down, TV market share, UFA desirability goes down, and it seems also the value of your prospect pool. In order to get out of that cycle, you need to invest in the on-ice product somehow. You can try and move a high-end prospect onto the roster which is risky. You can see if you can lure an UFA to come, even if the contract is a little higher a winning franchise may pay (Zucker). You can use a player or prospect under team control to upgrade a weakness on roster, but the value you get in return may be less.

The majority fan perception of player value is very one dimensional like they are their own balance sheet. That's just not the reality. I know it is fun to draw a baseline and deliberate winners and losers, but this particular trade will definitely have me asking more questions in the future as to what other factors played a role for the 'losing' side. In this case, being a fan of the franchise and watching closely, it was easier for me to see why it was done, though not completely.

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Been stewing on this one for a few days now to collect my thoughts and pour over all the data to help me understand it. I was very happy we got a real 3C, but I absolutely winced when I saw that Savoie was the package sent in return. I know that Savoie's development has hit a few snags, mainly due to injury and his unfortunate birth date, but I was still really high on him. It seems that the league, and the Sabres, were not so high on him anymore. I think his stock fell considerably with a lackluster D+1 year, no invite to the WJC, and next to no pro-experience. Benson having passed him completely, and Kulich/Rosen having two years of solid pro-experience as well as Ostlund/Wahlberg/Helenius in the pipeline meant that Savoie was expendable. The Sabres were including Savoie in every big trade package they've tried to work out this offseason (reported by Chad D), so he was a goner no matter what.

It's also one of many indicators of a pretty recent surge of just how highly size is valued in players. Which is extra unfortunate because the Sabres sure didn't draft like it for a few years. Not to mention he most likely wasn't going to make it onto the roster (the Buffalo freakin' Sabres) in his D+3 year which is disappointing for a top 10 pick no matter which way you swing it. However, I still think it's an overpay at the end of the day. Savoie's ceiling is very high and just being able to clear cap and add a player on an ELC is a big win for the Oilers. Even if Savoie caps out as a 2nd line winger, there are far worse assignments then having Draisaitl feeding you pucks.

As for McCleod, I'm much higher on him than it seems a lot of people are. I know he's not a big producer on offense, and not particularly physical either, but he's a tough guy to play against. His defensive metrics are phenomenal, and he consistently won his on-ice goal share without playing with McDraisaitl. McCleod will be a staple on what looks to be a really strong PK unit, with him and all the other free agent additions we've made. Lindy coaches a very in your face, forechecking-heavy style of play with lots of speed and McCleod fits that system perfectly. Besides, he doesn't need to hit with all the other hitters we have on the team now. I think he's really good value for a 3C and someone that helps make the team better right away. I have to commend Adams for assembling what looks like an actual team with an identity, a welcome change. If he can somehow manage 40 points, I'll call it a win. I still think we need to bring in another top 6 winger to provide more scoring, get it done GMKA.

Wishing the best for Matty, I was really looking forward to watching him play on a stacked Amerks team this year and am sad to miss out on that sort of glorious experience. Hope he kills it out west.
I bet you are one of those f***ing people that will compose a rage email in all caps, then delete it. :sarcasm:

Nice post.

Reactions: Tsyolin and ceky

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

This hits on something I’ve kind of wanted to say every time someone uses increased production when moved up as some kind of negative because it isn’t indicative of what he really is. The versatility to move up in a pinch and not drag lines down is a positive.

And as some of our Oilers friends have said…if we can get him some more talented players to play with he has more offensive upside even on line 3. I know I trust Benson to take another step more now than with Krebs.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Ruff can scheme dzone plays that do not automatically concede that the draw will be lost 100% of the time on a Buffalo club. What an odd feeling that must be for coach.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
I'm not sure if it was the Oilers GM who ask Savoie. Rumor has it the Sabres have been trying to trade Savoie all along. Maybe there's more to it that we don't know about.
We know that the Sabres were in talks with the Canes. Per Chad and some other people Necas was not the target. I'm guessing we offered Savoie for Jack Drury & Canes turned it down.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I bet you are one of those f***ing people that will compose a rage email in all caps, then delete it. :sarcasm:

Nice post.

I am. The rule of three versions - the one with the profanity and all the nasty tone. Then version two is taking all the profanity out. Then version three is just the meat of the matter. THEN address and send. :D

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
He's very Hecht-ian.
Except ultra fast but not quite as keen to battle through checks. Does that sound right? Eitherway, I suppose we may see him up the LU at times during certain in game situations. For example, we need to hold a lead? Give him a couple of shifts on Tage's line in place of Peterka to provide better defensive play and back checking.

This does appear to be Ruff's swiss army knife player he likes to have (at least when he had one in Hecht)

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Anyone who wants to remain as angry as possible avoid the latest Maintenance Day podcast. Way too much positivity in there (along with discussion about other moves that still need to be made). I’d hate for any of their logical takes on why it was Savoie to rain on people’s…rain…

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Except ultra fast but not quite as keen to battle through checks. Does that sound right? Eitherway, I suppose we may see him up the LU at times during certain in game situations. For example, we need to hold a lead? Give him a couple of shifts on Tage's line in place of Peterka to provide better defensive play and back checking.

This does appear to be Ruff's swiss army knife player he likes to have (at least when he had one in Hecht)
I know a lot of us had reservations about Lindy, but man, I'm remembering now what a good coach he was in-game.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Hecht was an excellent skater.

Reactions: Faceboner

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
He's very Hecht-ian.
I think you may be overselling him with that comparison.

His oldest brother Matt was on the Griffs and we briefly recruited Ryan when he was holding out in Flint (think his unofficial visit was him helping his brother move into the dorms - he was traded to Mississauga shortly after). Ryan and Matt played very similar games, albeit Ryan obviously had a ton more skill. Both have feet that are much faster than their hands, lack finishing ability and offensive sense, but have games that are conducive to nice looking underlying stats.

If you want to make a comparison to a former Sabre, I’d go with Paille.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think you may be overselling him with that comparison.

His oldest brother Matt was on the Griffs and we briefly recruited Ryan when he was holding out in Flint (think his unofficial visit was him helping his brother move into the dorms - he was traded to Mississauga shortly after). Ryan and Matt played very similar games, albeit Ryan obviously had a ton more skill. Both have feet that are much faster than their hands, lack finishing ability and offensive sense, but have games that are conducive to nice looking underlying stats.

If you want to make a comparison to a former Sabre, I’d go with Paille.

Yeah, direct parallels are not my favorite.

As for Paille, he finished a lot of his hits though, something McLeod actively does not do. Paille's chip-and-chase game was top notch. Just wish they had taken the offered AHLer in the deal instead of just the pick but economics instead of Marchand. Regier fail there.

Trying to keep it to "moves well, can have a positive impact, people won't understand why".

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

This hits on something I’ve kind of wanted to say every time someone uses increased production when moved up as some kind of negative because it isn’t indicative of what he really is. The versatility to move up in a pinch and not drag lines down is a positive.

And as some of our Oilers friends have said…if we can get him some more talented players to play with he has more offensive upside even on line 3. I know I trust Benson to take another step more now than with Krebs.

I’m a huge believer in Mcleod’s offensive upside. I think there’s definitely more for him to give. Not a ton more, but there’s more. Singularly if Mcleod gains just a bit extra poise and patience with the puck, he will improve and see more plays and have an understanding of just how much of a weapon his speed is. Collectively on a line, he could totally take off if someone else is doing the offensive creativity heavy lifting. Benson is a good bet for that job it looks like.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Our NHL roster is too stacked someone had to go. Too expensive for our roster right now.

McLeod is excellent at the PK it will be missed.

Exceptional skater, sometimes I would see him ripping through the other team and had to double take was it McDavid.

Plenty of playoff experience knows what is required to make and play playoffs.

Downside is he rarely seems to head to in front of the net shooting from a wide wing or ending up behind the net wasting his rush. Maybe a bit soft?

Hope we didn't get hosed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad