Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The reason they traded Savoie instead of any of the other prospects is the organization viewed him as the most expendable (that's why he was the offer from the get go). They were clearly nowhere near as high on him as people on this board and I will presume there was a reason they felt this way.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Plenty of Oilers fans didn’t want him as a 3C though:

Lots more of these. All before the trade happened. Acting like we acquired some stud 3C is silly. His advanced stats are good but 99% of Oilers fans would do this trade again.

I don't think we got a stud 3C .. I think we got a competent one.

I don't care what Oiler fans say or think. I saw enough of him in playoffs to be at least satisfied.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’ve now seen arguments that it’s bad McLeod would have been 4C in Edmonton but also it’s bad that actually they put him on second line wing because it inflated his stats.

Which is still better than these ridiculous Savoie arguments that happened overnight. Kulich leads a pro team in goals back to back years as a teenager - 3rd liner. benson makes the nhl at 18 after blowing past eveyrone INCLUDING SAVOIE - overrated. Savoie who hasn’t been the best player on his own f***ing teams for two years, took a giant shit at WJC and was picked as the odd man out by the people who drafted him - top line player!

Checks out

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I don't think we got a stud 3C .. I think we got a competent one.

I don't care what Oiler fans say or think. I saw enough of him in playoffs to be at least satisfied.
I'm sure Oilers fans saw plenty of him too. They’re floored that he got Savoie in return.

Reactions: BFLO

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Plenty of Oilers fans didn’t want him as a 3C though:

Lots more of these. All before the trade happened. Acting like we acquired some stud 3C is silly. His advanced stats are good but 99% of Oilers fans would do this trade again.

Well if it's on Twitter...

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Well if it's on Twitter...
I could legitimately post 50+ of those tweets. Are some of them idiots who don’t know what they’re talking about? Sure. But I wasn’t even going out seeking just the bad ones. Nearly all comments re: McLeod were that he wasn’t worth his cap hit (2.1m) and isn’t a good 3C.

I don’t think there’s no validity in the amount of responses to McLeods play by Oilers fans. It certainly gives me pause in regards to this trade.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
If there has been one thing you could trust about the sabres recently, it's their ability to see how young players develop

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for the time being

With that said if the sabres make the playoffs and McLeod is a key.... everyone is happy

If it doesn't work the sabres will be back picking in the top ten and can get a player similar to Savoies potential

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I could legitimately post 50+ of those tweets. Are some of them idiots who don’t know what they’re talking about? Sure. But I wasn’t even going out seeking just the bad ones. Nearly all comments re: McLeod were that he wasn’t worth his cap hit (2.1m) and isn’t a good 3C.

I don’t think there’s no validity in the amount of responses to McLeods play by Oilers fans. It certainly gives me pause in regards to this trade.

Trade is done. McLeod has ludicrous speed, a lot of size, and good defensive metrics. He's also now our best face-off guy. He also fits the time line.

Its possible they wanted Drury more and McLeod was plan B but I'm fine with that. Henrique might be a better fit at 3C on the Oilers than McLeod but he's old and he wasn't going to come to Buffalo anyway. That makes sense for the Oilers.

I also don't like most Oilers fans so I'm not really interested in their negative tweets.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Did he get hurt in that one game? I don’t know why I don’t remember that. I just remember him being invisible for the 3-4mins he was allegedly on the ice and then sitting the entire 2nd and 3rd periods.

If there was an injury it couldn’t have been that significant, he was playing for Wenatchee five days later.
He jumped into a game after a brief AHL stint played two shifts and was sent to WHL.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You aren't a complete player in your teens.

Very true. Interesting way to open…
That might just mean Benson had reached his potential earlier.

Okay. So do you see how development in junior is often on an aging curve? He was better than Savoie while significantly younger. Your argument is odd considering one of the criticisms of Savoie was his somewhat level D+1.

It's not like he all of a sudden will develop blazing speed and a Kulich level shot.

And yet he will have time to get stronger physically and this better at both. Thinking the game is his biggest advantage, and his ability to be where the play is going and then manipulate others into providing openings to make smart, crisp passes is one of the hallmarks of his at the WHL and at the NHL level.
What is the upside in Benson? His overall game already looks mature, but I don't see more than 15-20 goals in him.

We aren’t sure. When have 18-year olds peaked?
Is that enough on a second line wing? His playmaking ability is naturally going to suffer on the wing with less space and freedom, and he doesn't have the speed to create his space, and no length to protect the puck, or size. It's fine if you all like Benson better, he may be, but I don't see anyone in this organization with ppg potential anymore.

Since his playmaking is about drawing contact, rather than speeding to ope ice, is it that much of an issue if he is on the wing?

I was (am) fan has anybody you’re gonna find on here and I have doubts that he’ll be a game player at the next level. Now that might happen in couple of years thanks and no small part to being on a team with the best one to punch at Center in the NHL, but on his own? I don’t see that.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

You should avoid Twitter replies like a plague. Theyre full of hot takes. I did it a year or two ago, and haven't regretted that choice at all. I'd take any opinions on Twitter with a grain of salt.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Very true. Interesting way to open…

Okay. So do you see how development in junior is often on an aging curve? He was better than Savoie while significantly younger. Your argument is odd considering one of the criticisms of Savoie was his somewhat level D+1.

And yet he will have time to get stronger physically and this better at both. Thinking the game is his biggest advantage, and his ability to be where the play is going and then manipulate others into providing openings to make smart, crisp passes is one of the hallmarks of his at the WHL and at the NHL level.

We aren’t sure. When have 18-year olds peaked?

Since his playmaking is about drawing contact, rather than speeding to ope ice, is it that much of an issue if he is on the wing?

I was (am) fan has anybody you’re gonna find on here and I have doubts that he’ll be a game player at the next level. Now that might happen in couple of years thanks and no small part to being on a team with the best one to punch at Center in the NHL, but on his own? I don’t see that.
It is similar to how Kulich at 28 was one of the more NHL ready prospects, that is typically due to a mature game and development that happened early. There is a reason those players get drafted later. Why was Benson a top 8 and went 13 if he was so incredible? As always, size and questionable upside for a top end pick.

The issue is both Savoie and Benson are dawgs with great vision and playmaking. Benson is skewed the advantage on these with Savoie getting the advantage in speed and shooting.

Any arguments about growing into things have to apply to Savoie as well. Can't just say he is a year or two older, so Benson has more room to grow.

Drawing contact at 5/10 170 in the NHL is not a sustainable playstyle. He is actually slow; his short burst acceleration saves him.

Time will tell.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I don’t mind the team operating according to their reads on players and taking swings, but that doesn’t mean I’m sure they’re making the right reads either.
I get this and agree in most part. The need for a 3C was a self inflicted wound. That they recognized the gaffe and addressed it is commendable. That they did not need to create the hole in the first place should give one pause and deflate some of the argument about trusting their evaluation abilities.

But if it is a sign they are done waiting on picks and prospects and are living in the present, then I welcome that.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
But if it is a sign they are done waiting on picks and prospects and are living in the present, then I welcome that.
The same guy who listened to Ted call the game on the radio is still waiting to see Lord Stanley come to Buffalo. I don't mind either if they quit sitting on their hands and attend to building a smart competitive roster.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The same guy who listened to Ted call the game on the radio is still waiting to see Lord Stanley come to Buffalo. I don't mind either if they quit sitting on their hands and attend to building a smart competitive roster.
Had a spare transistor radio in the sock drawer when my mom would take the clock radio because it was past bedtime. Ted was the voice I most associated with Sabres, but RJ became the best one.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Yeah--I think there was something up with Savoie that we do not know about(I assume you guys are tied of oilers fan swinging by trying to make sense of the deal). When this deal went down I was over the mood as an oiler fan. WE needed to McLeod sooner than later due to cap reasons and getting Savoie back is great. But I believe something is off. Maybe the relationship between Savoie and Buffalo went south or maybe Buffalo saw something in Savoie they no longer liked. While I am an Oiler fan, I live in the UK so I am clear of the fog the engulfs oiler fandom sometimes. I have seen a few places where Savoie is being compared to Gilbert Brule 6th over all in 2005 and that slightly concerns me. Curious if the Sabres made the same decision. McLeod is a lot like another former Oiler Kyle Brodziak who had a good career with the Blues and Wild. I think you guys are going to like the guy. As for Savoie? I have more questions than answers as to why the Sabres moved on from him so quickly. Sabres were shopping him and I find that interesting. This story is not done. We are missing a piece I think
Respect from one long time UK based hockey fan to another. Hopefully this one works out for both of us.

Reactions: cybresabre

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lotsa talk about Savoie and McLeod but nobody talking about the great Ty Tullio?

If he were a Hab pick, there would probably be a thread canonizing him as better than Nazem Kadri. But instead we have a separate thread for talk about him below.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm sure Oilers fans saw plenty of him too. They’re floored that he got Savoie in return.

They should be very happy... they'll get a young guy on elc for 3 yrs which is huge for cap strapped team.

I don't think it's an amazing trade... Adams put himself in this position. It's bad value sure.. but we'll be better next year for this and that's all I care about right now

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Trade is done. McLeod has ludicrous speed, a lot of size, and good defensive metrics. He's also now our best face-off guy. He also fits the time line.

Its possible they wanted Drury more and McLeod was plan B but I'm fine with that. Henrique might be a better fit at 3C on the Oilers than McLeod but he's old and he wasn't going to come to Buffalo anyway. That makes sense for the Oilers.

I also don't like most Oilers fans so I'm not really interested in their negative tweets.
Well said!

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Day whatever of this trade and I still dont care about it. Savoie could be stapled to McDavid and get 100 points and I still wouldnt care. He wouldnt have done that here with inferior talent. I want a hockey team, not a collection of 12 talented forwards that dont work well together. Savoie for me was simply the odd man out. It would have come down to Benson or Savoie if one had to go, the right choice was made. I think getting Helenius at 14 made this even easier. Hes going to be a great option at 3c in the future and if you extend McLeod he would be a great winger to pair with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad