RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I mean look at top teams. SKA has clearly become stronger and added points. CSKA hasn't lost any crucial players and has about the same points. Metallurg, Avangard and Ak Bars though at the very least keep the quality of their rosters intact but have lost a lot of points compared to previous season "in the stronger league".

It's become way tougher to get points for them, the quality of teams gets better overall. The only teams that have obviously become weaker because of their top players left are Traktor and Salavat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sasha Orlov

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yes, top teams skim all the cream from the top, it's the same story for decades. Just because they managed to mitigate most of the damage doesn't mean that's not at the expense of weak teams and the league wasn't impacted. Once again, like it always was. But now the weak teams have fewer and fewer tools to compensate for it.

SKA became stronger because they added Zhafyarov and Khairullin. And who were their replacements for Torpedo and Neftekhimik? Torpedo struck gold with Kovalenko who was stuck in the teams that prefer just skimming the cream rather than giving youngsters longer leash but Neftekhimik just got Leshchenko, with a predictable outcome.

Just like NatusVincere wrote in the previous page. Sure, as long as you only look at the top teams, KHL is very strong and much better than SHL and all that. And then Sochi has 3 wins.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Has he ever spoken about his future and the NHL?

I feel like some kind of statement from him where he confirms that he plans to go to the NHL after his current contract would help his draft position.

For all the angry Russians in here reminding us how good he is, I don't think many doubt that. His draft position is likely tied to world politics and it's unfortunate but makes sense.

As a Habs fan, I'd love for the Habs to draft him with a pick outside the top3, but I'd be concerned if it was a top3 pick. Not because he isn't insanely good but because there's some % chance that he never leaves Russia.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Has he ever spoken about his future and the NHL?

I feel like some kind of statement from him where he confirms that he plans to go to the NHL after his current contract would help his draft position.

For all the angry Russians in here reminding us how good he is, I don't think many doubt that. His draft position is likely tied to world politics and it's unfortunate but makes sense.

As a Habs fan, I'd love for the Habs to draft him with a pick outside the top3, but I'd be concerned if it was a top3 pick. Not because he isn't insanely good but because there's some % chance that he never leaves Russia.
This is just not realistic

There’s some % chance Bedard retires before the October, should he not go top 3???

Reactions: badfish

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
I have him ranked as the #2 for this draft. But I agree that depending on the team he won’t go until 4/5 probably. If a team “wins” the lottery and slides up to 2 or 3 from the 10-15 range it would be a pretty smart move to grab this kid and wait it out.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
So you're using a early 90's example. In this case, the year before the Jagr Draft the Czechs were still Czechosolovakia and under soviet rule and you had to get players 'out'. Eg. Svoboda, Stastny's or Nedved all had to hide and disappear and it was all Cloak and Dagger shit!

Jagr happened to be drafted in the year that communism dropped and he could just fly over. That was a massive change from the previous 40 years.

So yeah, drafting a Czechoslovakian in 1990 is a littler different then drafting one in 1989 or earlier. I'm sure you noticed a massive increase in Euro's (including Russians) after 1990 as they ALL came over and it was a big Euro inversion (that made hockey a lot better!). Ironically, that would be a soviet factor. Not a Czech one.

Put another way, it would've been stupid to draft Fetisov or Hlinka with a 1OV pick in 1970s when they were teenagers in communist countries. Regardless of how good they were. Salming on the other hand would've been smart or Kurri.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If you think Russia, as a state, doesn't have invested interest in Michkov playing there and won't make it difficult for him to leave to some degree I have some land in Florida for you to sell.

Especially after situations with Panarin, Fedotov, Kaprizov, Marchenko and Morozov, etc.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
If you think Russia, as a state, doesn't have invested interest in Michkov playing there and won't make it difficult for him to leave to some degree I have some land in Florida for you to sell.

Especially after situations with Panarin, Fedotov, Kaprizov, Marchenko and Morozov, etc.
And then there were situations with Gavrikov and Gusev, who on the opposite were kind of helped to be able to leave faster by the same SKA management, but who needs to remember those. I don't doubt though that if Michkov will be as good as we expect it all the money in the world will be thrown at him, I think they'll even try to make some official exception in the KHL salary cap for him.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Will Scouch doesn’t like him. He’s got him ranked 19th and had this to say about it:

Michkov has been underwhelming in my viewings where I am not at all convinced he's a top 5 or even a top 10 option considering the performances of the players in the tier above to this point.
He's highly skilled and has great awareness to fill space in the offensive zone to generate his chances, but he's often a very poor puck distributor, with some soft passing into careless space that can be easily picked off. He skates into pressure constantly and tries to challenge players one on one with predictable skill moves and simply will not chip the puck if he can't get his way through the pressure.
I've seen countless transitions get wasted through overhandling, overconfidence, and errant passing combined with a relatively low pace of play that has simply flipped the script on him. In my view, he was high on my board for a while because, while I had concerns before the year, he scores so much that he deserved a high slot.
Now, many other players have shown better in my view, and Michkov in the VHL has been a major mixed bag in my tracking at 5v5 in terms of projecting to the NHL.
Now that he's headed to a young team in Sochi that likely will give him a strong KHL role, I have all the time in the world for him to prove that he's the elite scorer he's reputed to be at a higher level with other high pace and unrefined young players, but for now, I see a very skilled winger with a strong mind for earning scoring chances off-puck, with significant issues both on and off the puck that could limit his outlook to a more conservative role in the NHL, at least at even strength.

Scouch is one of the more “unique” video/social media/indie “scouts” out there. But he’s got a pretty big following and makes interesting content, regardless of how much stock you put into his opinions.

Reactions: lawrence

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Will Scouch doesn’t like him. He’s got him ranked 19th and had this to say about it:

Scouch is one of the more “unique” video/social media/indie “scouts” out there. But he’s got a pretty big following and makes interesting content, regardless of how much stock you put into his opinions.

Yeah, he's really unique...

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Yeah, he's really unique...
I don’t out much stock into his opinions or the outcomes of his analysis but I do appreciate his content. The deep dives, video analysis, his own statistical metrics and some of the points he makes using them. I guess I should say I like Scouch, I follow Scouch, but he doesn’t really sway my own opinions at all.

Reactions: slumpy43

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
McGilligan and Scouch love fast transition players, and their bias towards such players helps them overrate certain prospects.

The rest of the critiques I've read above are meh arguments to me (and Sam really needs to improve his prose), but I cannot deny that if I had one element I didn't love about Michkov, it's his current pace of play. Five on five, on smaller rinks against NHL calibre talent, I am not convinced he'd successfully transition to the NHL if he went next year, perhaps even the year after that.

Also why the three year wait is not a problem for me, he has otherworldly skills to work with so I'm not concerned in the long run.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
McGilligan and Scouch love fast transition players, and their bias towards such players helps them overrate certain prospects.

The rest of the critiques I've read above are meh arguments to me (and Sam really needs to improve his prose), but I cannot deny that if I had one element I didn't love about Michkov, it's his current pace of play. Five on five, on smaller rinks against NHL calibre talent, I am not convinced he'd successfully transition to the NHL if he went next year, perhaps even the year after that.

Also why the three year wait is not a problem for me, he has otherworldly skills to work with so I'm not concerned in the long run.

Speed (or rather lack of it) is his main problem but it doesn't mean that much. His agility, edge work and stickhandling are elite which is way more helpful in the offensive zone than speed. Players need speed in transition, zone entries or breakaways. And even then you can mask your problems with smart plays, and Michkov's IQ is superb.

People used to doubt about Kaprizov's skating because of lack of speed and explosiveness, now he's considered an elite skater and he's still not that fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad