RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

romao

May 18, 2010
Kharkiv
Just tell me at least one case when this happened.
I believe something like that happened to Malkin. He had signed contract with Metallurg. But few days later he secretly left Magnitogorsk and escaped to Finland. Fortunately for him and PIT, at that time it was possible to cancel his contract legally. He then told that he was pressured to sign that contract and that Metallurg took his foreign passport away from him to prevent Malkin from leaving the country

Reactions: Marc the Habs Fan

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I believe something like that happened to Malkin. He had signed contract with Metallurg. But few days later he secretly left Magnitogorsk and escaped to Finland. Fortunately for him and PIT, at that time it was possible to cancel his contract legally. He then told that he was pressured to sign that contract and that Metallurg took his foreign passport away from him to prevent Malkin from leaving the country

He "secretely" left Magnitogorsk not because he feared FSB or some Russian mafia. He signed a contract because Rashnikov asked him and Rashnikov was the team owner, a billionaire and a very respected person in Magnitogorsk. Geno didn't wanna stay in Russia though, and it was kinda unfair play from Magnitogorsk so he later just left the team and Russia without saying goodbye.

romao

May 18, 2010
Kharkiv
He "secretely" left Magnitogorsk not because he feared FSB or some Russian mafia. He signed a contract because Rashnikov asked him and Rashnikov was a billionaire and a very respected person in Magnitogorsk. Geno didn't wanna stay in Russia though, and it was kinda unfair play from Magnitogorsk so he later just left the team and Russia without saying goodbye.
I'm not saying it was because of FSB. But he was pressured into staying, that's the point.

Reactions: Marc the Habs Fan

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'm not saying it was because of FSB. But he was pressured into staying, that's the point.

Yeah but it was a good lesson to all so nobody tries to do anything like this since then.

Fedotov situation is different. CSKA are pricks without doubts, but Fedotov should blame himself above all.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Why do I have the feeling that the Habs will draft right around where Michkov is available and that as usual we are going to be stuck with all that drama.

Maybe he's a good kid stuck in an unfair situation or maybe he gets offered millions by some business magnate to never play in North America. Maybe the whole thing has already affected his morale and his development, Or not. Yikes.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
With the caveat that our GM is hard to read and I wouldn’t play poker with him, Columbus may be interested at 2 or 3.

Yes we are desperate for another top 6 centre and we already have two very highly paid wingers (plus a boatload of middle 6ew) but the timeline with Michkov brings him into the fold just as Laine reaches UFA and Johnny Hockey likely begins a decline.

This all hinges on whether the man who reached for Dubois and Chinakov is that predictable.

Columbus won’t pass a top tier C prospect in their position.
The only piece their core is missing and what they’ve been after forever could be addressed at the draft, and draft is arguably their only chance at fixing that.

At 4 I’d take a chance on him from Jarmos position.

Michkov on elc when Jiricek& Johnson are starting to enter their prime could be scary as hell for others

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The question is are the other candidates for the #2 slot going to be impact players right away? I doubt it. Recent history has shown that with a few expections being a siper high first round pick is not a gaurantee for immediate success. Even players like Hughes take a couple of years to gain their footing.

Those players are still far less risky for Gm’s who’s seats are on fire.

You have a better feel of them and can keep them closer.

Carlsson for example could be signed and send to AHL.

So easier to sell hope

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Why do I have the feeling that the Habs will draft right around where Michkov is available and that as usual we are going to be stuck with all that drama.

Maybe he's a good kid stuck in an unfair situation or maybe he gets offered millions by some business magnate to never play in North America. Maybe the whole thing has already affected his morale and his development, Or not. Yikes.

This drama will be lasting untill Michkov comes to the league. HFboarders will keep laughing at fans of teams that picked Fantilli and Karlsson over Michkov, those fans will keep answering that Michkov isn't even in the NHL and nobody knows whether he'll come at all. It's gonna be funny discussions.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Unfortunately not, if I see it correctly. The pages of the KHL or VHL do not show this information either. But what is shown is that he has scored 2 ES goals and 1 PP in the KHL and 5 ES goals and 5 PP goals in the VHL. In the MHL last year he had 18 goals at ES and 11 PP goals.

Thats about the rumors that Michkov is "much less effective" at ES.

Actually only 1 of his 4 Sochi goals was a pure ES one. The first one was on PP, the 2nd one was 6 vs 5 on delayed penalty, the 4th one was 6 vs 5 with empty nets.

Reactions: Czechboy

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Kaprizov signed at least 1 extension with CSKA Moscow (looks like it was in 2018) that made Wild fans freakout at the time. Whether he was pressured, we'll never really know. But he was right around the same age Michkov will be in 2026 when he decided to stay for 2 more seasons.

Marat Khusnutdinov signed a 2 year extension with the same KHL team that owns Michkov's rights just 13 months ago, that would be one recent example.

To be clear, I am not saying Michkov is never coming over. You just can't be 100% sure it's gonna be in 2026. It may be in 2028 or 2029.

Completely different situation when the player is already established in the NHL.
Wild fans were freaking out because they were ignorant.

Kaprizov was pressured into signing that CSKA extension…. by his own father.
His dad was adamant he be fully developed, both physically and mentally (maturity) before making the jump to the NHL.
He’s given several interviews about this.
It also helped that the Wild never contacted him.
But the NHL was always the long-term destination.

Can’t argue with the results. Michkov will follow the same path.

Reactions: CanuckCity

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Wild fans were freaking out because they were ignorant.

Kaprizov was pressured into signing that CSKA extension…. by his own father.
His dad was adamant he be fully developed, both physically and mentally (maturity) before making the jump to the NHL.
He’s given several interviews about this.
It also helped that the Wild never contacted him.
But the NHL was always the long-term destination.

Can’t argue with the results. Michkov will follow the same path.
money was good too. much more than he whould have made on an elc or in the ahl. i bet he was adamant on that too.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
The usual Russian stuff is always overblown but you can't discredit what's going on in Russia right now. It's a different situation. There's a real possibility that Russian players are straight up banned from the NHL, or aren't allowed to leave Russia if the stuff with Ukraine doesn't stop.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The usual Russian stuff is always overblown but you can't discredit what's going on in Russia right now. It's a different situation. There's a real possibility that Russian players are straight up banned from the NHL, or aren't allowed to leave Russia if the stuff with Ukraine doesn't stop.

Any logical explanation why will Russian players be not allowed to leave Russia? Any sources?

As to them banned from the NHL, it will be great but I'm pretty sure it won't happen.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Any logical explanation why will Russian players not allowed to leave Russia? Any sources?

As to them banned from the NHL, it will be great but I'm pretty sure it won't happen.

Yup, all the banning is coming from one direction. And it's not Russia.

Reactions: NatusVincere

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I have a feeling if Anaheim gets 2OA they will pick Michkov. They have a great young core that won't be ready to compete untill about 2025-26 years. They gonna get another great young Russain player in Mintyukov, they are more or less set down middle and their main need is an elite goal scorer i.e. exactly who Michkov is.

Another posibility is Chicago. They are used to have a winger as a franchize player, and they don't want to pick another Kirby Dach who Fantilli and Karlsson kinda remind.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Any of Chicago, Anaheim and Arizona could pick Michkov at 2 because none of those teams are even close to play off contention abd they can certainly wait 2-3 years.

Columbus might pick Fantilli at 2 because they’re desperate for a 1C prospect

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

How can you compare stats 20 years apart?

Any of Chicago, Anaheim and Arizona could pick Michkov at 2 because none of those teams are even close to play off contention abd they can certainly wait 2-3 years.

Columbus might pick Fantilli at 2 because they’re desperate for a 1C prospect

I don’t think they would/could pass on Carlsson either.

At 4 go for it

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
He scored again yesterday and now has 4 goals and 1 assist in 8 games. HC Sochi is 3-35 this season. Artyom Nikolayev leads the team in points with just 16 points in 40 games. It’s not unreasonable to think that Matvei could be the team leader in points sooner than later.

Reactions: Czechboy

biscuits and guitar

Jan 5, 2023
How can you compare stats 20 years apart?

I don’t think they would/could pass on Carlsson either.

At 4 go for it
Actually those stats will be pretty comparable if Michkov plays enough games, cuz both pre-draft Ovi and Matvei are playing in low-scoring leagues. There was only 1 PPG producer (Maxim Sushinskiy) in the 2003-2004 Russian Superleague season and there are only 2 PPG producers (Nikita Gusev and Stephen Da Costa) in the KHL this season

Reactions: CanuckCity

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Any of Chicago, Anaheim and Arizona could pick Michkov at 2
Chicago wouldn't.

Michkov goes against the identity Kyle Davidson wants for the Blackhawks going forward.

Guarantee he's not high on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad