RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
I never got why people are so scared of waiting until 2026. There's a few other first rounders who might not be ready until then. There's a few 2022 guys who probably won't be in the NHL until 2025. If you're a bottom feeder and can afford to wait a bit, who really cares you won't get a prospect automatically? Even without the contract, Michkov is still a year or two away regardless.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Do you really think that gap between Michkov and Fantilli/Carlsson is that big? If you add all those risks associated with Michkov, you play smart. The real discussion comes at no. 4 position where the gap starts to be intriguing.
Personally I think Michkov is a tier above. He is considered the best Russian prospect since Ovechkin so ask yourself how good that would make him

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
that ELC will be huge for the team that picks him up but i think he goes #4 after Bedard,Carlsson and Fantilli GMs always have a weak spot for Centers and with all this Russian drama and contract it will hurt hes draft position imo

That being said on talent alone he would easily go #2 ( Bedard destroyed the WJC at 17 theres no way any GMs would pass on him )

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Does Sochi still wear the sharks-based jerseys? Michkov is already testing out how he looks in teal.
Actually I think since Michkov arrived they haven't been using the teal uniforms, I guess he totally hated it. :)

volga.jpg

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I never got why people are so scared of waiting until 2026. There's a few other first rounders who might not be ready until then. There's a few 2022 guys who probably won't be in the NHL until 2025. If you're a bottom feeder and can afford to wait a bit, who really cares you won't get a prospect automatically? Even without the contract, Michkov is still a year or two away regardless.
I don't think waiting until 2026 is the biggest concern. I think the unknown of will you even be able to get him over in 2026 is the real concern. I don't want to get into politics here but the scenario that can't be discounted is Michkov is one of the big stars of the KHL by then and is ''pressured'' into staying.

Last edited:

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I don't think waiting until 2026 is the biggest concern. I think the unknown of will you even be able to get him over in 2026 is the real concern. I don't want to get into politics here but the scenario that can't be discounted is Michkov is one of the big stars of the KHL by then and is ''pressured'' into staying.
If this was real Ovechkin, Malkin and others would be in the KHL as we speak

Baseless Russophobia hysteria

He 100% comes to the NHL once his contract ends and steps on the ice as a top 10 player in the league

olgerd

Oct 19, 2021
Just tell me at least one case when this happened.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Imagine this guy injected into a clubs lineup in the 2026 season as a 22 year old. He will be an instant and huge difference maker and be on his elc for three seasons! Whomever gets him wins the draft.

If hes coming over at 22 his ELC will be for 2 years. Only 21 and under players get 3 year ELCs I think. And he will be UFA by 27. So best case scenario you get 2 years of ELC and another 3 years RFA, which I think he will be eligible for arb during all of them.

Reactions: lanky

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I would be livid, Special talent , or bust hell what do I know lol

If they are willing to be patient on a project pick like Slafkovsky who likely won't be having any impact for many years, I don't understand logic of fearing Michkov. I'd actually not be surprised if Michkov is a better NHLer in 2026/27 than Slafkovsky in 2026/27.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The consensus is he will come over a finished product in a few years and have at least a Kaprizov impact-correct? Even if it is a few years why wouldn't such a player go at worst #2?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Kaprizov signed at least 1 extension with CSKA Moscow (looks like it was in 2018) that made Wild fans freakout at the time. Whether he was pressured, we'll never really know. But he was right around the same age Michkov will be in 2026 when he decided to stay for 2 more seasons.

Marat Khusnutdinov signed a 2 year extension with the same KHL team that owns Michkov's rights just 13 months ago, that would be one recent example.

To be clear, I am not saying Michkov is never coming over. You just can't be 100% sure it's gonna be in 2026. It may be in 2028 or 2029.
If this was real Ovechkin, Malkin and others would be in the KHL as we speak
Completely different situation when the player is already established in the NHL.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

NA fans and experts say this about every single prospect drafted from Russia. Those prospects eventually come to NA but fans and experts keep saying this about another prospect... and another... and it's probably become an NA tradition. They just can't talk about Russian prospects without doubts about them coming to NA...

You should respect national traditions.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Kaprizov signed at least 1 extension with CSKA Moscow (looks like it was in 2018) that made Wild fans freakout at the time. Whether he was pressured, we'll never really know. But he was right around the same age Michkov will be in 2026 when he decided to stay for 2 more seasons.

Marat Khusnutdinov signed a 2 year extension with the same KHL team that owns Michkov's rights just 13 months ago, that would be one recent example.

When Kaprizov signed that extention people asked him about Minnesota, and Kirill answered he hadn't heard anything from the club, nobody asked him to come there and play in the NHL. Not sure what role it played, but I doubt it helped Minnesota to get him as soon as possible.

As to Marat he's just not ready to play in the NHL and needed more time in the KHL. He's getting better and better with each new season so there is a good chance Minnesota will immediately get top9 player in him.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

UED

May 2, 2021
If they are willing to be patient on a project pick like Slafkovsky who likely won't be having any impact for many years, I don't understand logic of fearing Michkov. I'd actually not be surprised if Michkov is a better NHLer in 2026/27 than Slafkovsky in 2026/27.
The logic is that Gorton and Hughes might be with another team by the time Michkov comes to the NHL, especially if they draft him. If the team doesn't improve over the next 3 years there's a real chance they get fired. It's not something fans care about though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The logic is that Gorton and Hughes might be with another team by the time Michkov comes to the NHL, especially if they draft him. If the team doesn't improve over the next 3 years there's a real chance they get fired. It's not something fans care about though.
The question is are the other candidates for the #2 slot going to be impact players right away? I doubt it. Recent history has shown that with a few expections being a siper high first round pick is not a gaurantee for immediate success. Even players like Hughes take a couple of years to gain their footing.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
If I was the Habs I would take him the first chance they get , given they have 2 picks the risk is minimized - even if it's 2nd.
That would be best case scenario. A center in the top 5 and if Michkov falls to their 2nd pick then pick him for sure.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Ivan Fedotov?
Fedotov had to resolve his army problems first, he had like 8 years for this and still failed because of his own irresponsibility.
Btw, since this topic has been brought up, it is worth mentioning that Michkov told that he is going to go to the university too (this is his last year in school now), so that should get him a protection from conscription at least for that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad