RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Not tough to say. Even if Michkov's current rate with Sochi declines a bit he'll produce comparably with Ovechkin and much better than Malkin.
Well he has 4 points in 10 games with 21 games left in the season. He’s on pace for 12 points in 31 games (0.378 PPG). Malkin had 12 points in 34 games (0.352 PPG). Ovechkin had 24 points in 53 games (0.452 PPG).

It’s definitely possible you see a rise in points for Michkov. But, it’s also possible he goes many games without scoring. He plays for a rough team. I think it’ll be a tough for him.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well he has 4 points in 10 games with 21 games left in the season. He’s on pace for 12 points in 31 games (0.378 PPG). Malkin had 12 points in 34 games (0.352 PPG). Ovechkin had 24 points in 53 games (0.452 PPG).

It’s definitely possible you see a rise in points for Michkov. But, it’s also possible he goes many games without scoring. He plays for a rough team. I think it’ll be a tough for him.
For me the points don't even matter it will just be good to get some quality MPG and stability to develop for the rest of the year then we will see what next year brings.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com

Adding games where he played 2 or 3 minutes does absolutely nothing to actually represent his play at the KHL level. It's deceitful. 4 points in 7 games (with Sochi) is the proper way to evaluate his performance if you just want to look at the stats.

Reactions: Guadana and kp61c

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Adding games where he played 2 or 3 minutes does absolutely nothing to actually represent his play at the KHL level. It's deceitful. 4 points in 7 games (with Sochi) is the proper way to evaluate his performance if you just want to look at the stats.
I was only mentioning the stats because the post I was responding to was comparing stats. But, I wouldn’t even say his numbers in Sochi are a good representation of how good he is.

Even not considering stats at all, I don’t think he’s currently at the same level Malkin and Ovechkin were at at the same age. Those players were far more physically mature and were able to compete with men better because of that. Michkov is just as skilled but needs to physically mature.

Reactions: Realgud

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I was only mentioning the stats because the post I was responding to was comparing stats. But, I wouldn’t even say his numbers in Sochi are a good representation of how good he is.

Even not considering stats at all, I don’t think he’s currently at the same level Malkin and Ovechkin were at at the same age. Those players were far more physically mature and were able to compete with men better because of that. Michkov is just as skilled but needs to physically mature.

If he can't compete vs men good enough and still leads the team in goals and points in the games he's played what will it look like when he be able at last to compete vs men, I wonder...

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com

Yeah, that's fair :)

He's been doing well despite getting pushed around a little. Can't imagine how well he'd been doing with more strength. He's probably always going to be a little limited by his size (I don't see it as a big deal though) and his top speed (could improve). Other than, he's been excellent, imo.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
If he can't compete vs men good enough and still leads the team in goals and points in the games he's played what will it look like when he be able at last to compete vs men, I wonder...
Well I think it’ll lead to more success at 5v5. He’s extremely talented on the PP but he has a tendency to be far less effective 5v5. That’s one of the reasons he’s fallen in a lot of people’s draft rankings.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Well I think it’ll lead to more success at 5v5. He’s extremely talented on the PP but he has a tendency to be far less effective 5v5. That’s one of the reasons he’s fallen in a lot of people’s draft rankings.
"Far less effective" can you back up your claim with some facts? I bet you cant. I did a short look and checked the distribution of his points this season and I am pretty sure that he is completely in line with other top players. But I'm curious what you can show us.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Well, obviously I was talking about Michkov's production in Sochi where he's playing on a scoring line. This isn't hard to understand. He's not going back to SKA, at least not for a while.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Physical maturity at this age is actually often a red flag for scouts because one of the things you ask yourself about a teenager who stands out in his age group is whether he's physically an early bloomer. Michkov is a very sturdy and strong guy, but all that room to grow and fill out only indicates that he's bound to get better.

You choose to frame your argument to say "Michkov is not yet physically mature, which is bad," but on the other hand one can just as easily (and more convincingly) say that "Michkov is not yet physically mature but already doing great things at the professional level, so the sky is the limit."

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Physical maturity at this age is actually often a red flag for scouts because one of the things you ask yourself about a teenager who stands out in his age group is whether he's physically an early bloomer. Michkov is a very sturdy and strong guy, but all that room to grow and fill out only indicates that he's bound to get better.

You choose to frame your argument to say "Michkov is not yet physically mature, which is bad," but on the other hand one can just as easily (and more convincingly) say that "Michkov is not yet physically mature but already doing great things at the professional level, so the sky is the limit."
I wish I could like a post more than once.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA

My argument was actually “Malkin and Ovechkin had more success due to more physical maturity rather than more skill”. That’s a compliment to Michkov. I love the player. I don’t want you to think I’m down on Michkov. He’s my #2.

But, Malkin and Ovie were better at the same age because of their build and maturity.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
What was his time on ice numbers ? Is he getting top line time ?

He has fallen in a lot of rankings because of ignorance. He is clearly the 1A/1B player with Bedard in this draft.

Michkov is an extremely smart player, you can't teach that, getting stronger and faster will come with specific training. Slam dunk choice at #2
Fantilli had a weak tournament, Carlsson had an okay showing, don’t think these performances will truly separate them from Michkov, it’s all about politics now

Reactions: hn777 and Guadana

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
What was his time on ice numbers ? Is he getting top line time ?

Michkov-TOI.png

His TOI is okay or according to the circumstances. Sochi is defending most time of the game.

Reactions: Realgud

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
He has fallen in a lot of rankings because of ignorance. He is clearly the 1A/1B player with Bedard in this draft.

Michkov is an extremely smart player, you can't teach that, getting stronger and faster will come with specific training. Slam dunk choice at #2
100% accurate and true

Only people who haven’t watched him play would ever consider letting him drop past 2nd

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
100% accurate and true

Only people who haven’t watched him play would ever consider letting him drop past 2nd
Arizona, Chicago and Anaheim are 4-5 years from competing. He would fit their time line but do they want to risk taking a Russian?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think the risk is mostly imaginary but I know that’s not a popular opinion on here given all the Russian political experts

Sometimes a team might give a slight edge or even a greater one that really exists for players who project as centers in the NHL.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
If I was the Habs I would take him the first chance they get , given they have 2 picks the risk is minimized - even if it's 2nd.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Talked to SKA fans today. According to them Michkov spoiled his relationships with his team-mates in SKA system. Like, some people in Telegram said, Matvei got "star desease" (popular Russian idiom about people who think too high about themselves and are arrogant towards other people i.e. consider themselves big stars).

On the other hand "star desease" in sport usually means players become too cocky and stop worlking hard. Like, why do you need to work hard if you're already a big star? But as to Michkov it's a known fact that he always works more and harder than anybody else around. And he keaps scoring and helping his teams (look at SKA-Neva with and without him).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad