RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Michkovs upper body is really trained well for his age, he has a neck like a bull. Some can dislike Rotenberg, but he is right that Michkov should train his legs more. These are the almost 20 kg which Bedard has ahead of him with the same size, Connor's legs are already very well trained. But that’s nothing Michkov can’t work on and with more speed and explosiveness he will be unstoppable.

TSN did show yesterday how Bedard had something like 20 Goals in 20 Games on international stage with the U20s and U18s. Let’s do the same for Michkov:

With U20 and U18 9 games 15 goals.

With U20, U18 and Hlinka Gretzky 14 games 23 goals…

But Austria is waiting again for Connor to give his stats a generational boost.

I’d rather him work on his skills than be an 18 year old body builder. He’s still very young.

Of course he needs to weight train, but there’s a risk in too much weight training at this age. Let him grow into his body first.

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
Michkovs upper body is really trained well for his age, he has a neck like a bull. Some can dislike Rotenberg, but he is right that Michkov should train his legs more. These are the almost 20 kg which Bedard has ahead of him with the same size, Connor's legs are already very well trained. But that’s nothing Michkov can’t work on and with more speed and explosiveness he will be unstoppable.

TSN did show yesterday how Bedard had something like 20 Goals in 20 Games on international stage with the U20s and U18s. Let’s do the same for Michkov:

With U20 and U18 9 games 15 goals.

With U20, U18 and Hlinka Gretzky 14 games 23 goals…

But Austria is waiting again for Connor to give his stats a generational boost.
Not sure why you feel the need to undermine and shit on Bedard in all of your posts about how great Michkov is

Reactions: Czechboy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
What experience for players? They would have been training in the camp for about a month and then had to spend another 2 weeks at the tournament instead of playing professional hockey. I'm pretty sure they will be better without this "experience"...

A best on best experience is good for all players involved.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You are mad?

And I’m not talking shit about Bedard. He is head and shoulders above everyone else on Team Canada. He will be for many years the 2nd best player of the world.

I guess even smart posters have someone living rent free in their heads.

Probably not as much as the NYR fan, and an excellent poster, and his epic post about Tom Wilson that was one of the best, if not best, rent free threads and posts of all time.

As for Michov hopefully he gets some stability and playing time to develop.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah, don't confuse WJC to Olympics or WCH or even WHC...
Give me a break as you certainly know better, the WJC has the best U20s in the world pretty much all of the time, the WC and Olympics more often than not simply don't have the same "best on best" quality to them.

Reactions: peconcan

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
This is hard to watch. Michkov makes a nice entry, gives the puck to a teammate who then proceeds to instantly turn it over. Very hard to judge Michkov's game in this situation. He's doing fine in isolation but he has no help at all.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I'm enjoying watching the Western media fall in and out of love for the various players they hope will unseat Michkov in the draft. Right now Fantilli, eventually Carlsson.

Reactions: NatusVincere

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Give me a break as you certainly know better, the WJC has the best U20s in the world pretty much all of the time, the WC and Olympics more often than not simply don't have the same "best on best" quality to them.

I'm not sure that even the best WJC teams would look great in the VHL, and they aren't even close to the KHL level for sure.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm not sure that even the best WJC teams would look great in the VHL, and they aren't even close to the KHL level for sure.
So what most CHL teams and the WJC teams wouldn't fair well against University sports teams who are older either?

Nice deflection though as the WJC is the best on best for U20 and is a best on best tournament.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
A best on best experience is good for all players involved.

Not necessarily for kids. It depends on the talent level.

I could see how it benefits Bedard as the WJC is probably the highest level of competiton he's ever faced.
But then there are others who are used to higher levels. It may seem like a step in reverse.
It's all kinda relative.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Not necessarily for kids. It depends on the talent level.

I could see how it benefits Bedard as the WJC is probably the highest level of competiton he's ever faced.
But then there's others players who are used to higher levels of competion, It might seem like a step in reverse.
It's all kinda relative.
I 100% disagree and it seems there is some mental gymnastics going on here.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Here it is again.

I don't understand it like at all. I stated that Russian kids were playing a higher level hockey than WJC in Russian professional leagues. You answered that the best vs best hockey was good for anybody. I answered that it's not Olympics or WCH but WJC, it couldn't be better than professional hockey, even VHL let alone KHL. You didn't agree with me, and here it became obvious you were wrong. So you still don't agree with this?

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Here it is again.

That's not an argument. It's an opinion. Plus, the WJC is only best on best during lockout years.

Regardless, what specifically makes a "best on best" beneficial for everybody involved?
How did, say, Peter Forsberg benefit from scoring 31 points at '93 WJC, way, way, below his talent level? Seems like a waste of time from a developmental standpoint.

Developmentally WJC was nothing compared to the 'non-best on best' 1994 olympics for Forsberg; certainly in terms of higher level of play and intensity vs men. Not destroying teenagers.

Last edited:

olgerd

Oct 19, 2021
Sochi is a very depressing team. This is their 15th loss in a row. I hope that soon Michkov will begin to show leadership qualities, as he did in any other team in his career.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Regardless, what specifically makes a "best on best" beneficial for everybody involved?
How did, say, Peter Forsberg benefit from scoring 31 points at '93 WJC, way, way, below his talent level?

Yup. WJCs are only really useful for Hockey Canada and for Western corporations, for which it is a huge money maker. It's a great way for Canada to market its players, but is much less useful for other countries, especially Russia.

It's true of course that Michkov's draft "stock," so to speak, is affected by the decreased exposure. But ultimately it doesn't really matter to his career if he goes 1st overall or 6th overall. And, as I've said, going across the ocean to play the World Juniors in some COVID-infested town isn't a fun time for anyone.

Reactions: Hanji and ViD

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I'm enjoying watching the Western media fall in and out of love for the various players they hope will unseat Michkov in the draft. Right now Fantilli, eventually Carlsson.
At this point his draft position is not athletic achievement related anymore. Any scout with a brain understands he’s clearly 1A/1B player this draft, but it will take a GM with big balls to draft a Russian under a contract for next few years with a top 3 pick when some other decent players are available.

Jarmo is certainly that manager. If Columbus has the 3rd selection and Michkov is available, he’s Ohio bound

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Sochi is a very depressing team. This is their 15th loss in a row. I hope that soon Michkov will begin to show leadership qualities, as he did in any other team in his career.

Yes, I also hope this just-turned-18-year old will lead these old farts to glory.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
At least the weather is as good as it gets in Russia :)

Sochi is amazing. There's also nothing wrong with having some experience playing for a struggling organization. Michkov won't be too pampered or spoiled. To the stars by hard ways, as they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad