RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Yeah I don't believe Rotenberg is qualified to make any of these decisions. And his rationale reads like bs to me.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Talent wise, Michkov is up to par with Bedard.

But we all know the Russian situation plus he's signed with SKA untill 2026.

For sure, that's gonna influence his picking spot comes draft day.

I wouldn't be surprised if he falls to the 4-8th positions because of that.

Drafting, even more in the top 10, is about talent level AND probabilities of the player to make it to the NHL.

Furthermore, the earlier in the draft the player is taken, the sooner teams hope that said player to have an impact.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Yeah I don't believe Rotenberg is qualified to make any of these decisions. And his rationale reads like bs to me.
I dont like Rotenberg but his approach with Michkov (or Buchelnikov) is not bad in my opinion (besides the BS with 3 minutes of play in SKA road games). Problem is when people expect Michkov to be the next Ovechkin and dominate oppenents like Ovi did 18 years old. But one had his best time behind him 24 years old and the other will likely enter his prime/peak the same age.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I dont like Rotenberg but his approach with Michkov (or Buchelnikov) is not bad in my opinion (besides the BS with 3 minutes of play in SKA road games). Problem is when people expect Michkov to be the next Ovechkin and dominate oppenents like Ovi did 18 years old. But one had his best time behind him 24 years old and the other will likely enter his prime/peak the same age.

Ovechkin didn't really dominate anyone in the KHL (well, RSL) at this stage. I'm pretty sure Michkov would do just fine.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The furthest I can possibly see Michkov fall, even with the KHL contract/political climate is 5th, after Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson/Smith.
I mostly see it the same way. But I also acknowledge that there might be a couple of GMs that strictly will not draft a Russian with a 1st round pick. If one of those guys is holding the 5th pick and Michkov is still available, does he trade down or does he pick someone else?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
More often than not Michkov looks like a soft cherry-picker in the VHL. Calling him up now would be mistake.

The season is less than 4 months and Michkov missed almost 2 months. First that idiot Emelin injured him and then illness. He still scored 10 goals in 12 games and won half of those games for the team.

Reactions: Fantomas

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Is there any chance he can get out of his contract to play in the show before 26’? Trying to think of similar situations that can be used as comparables. I remember Kaprizov staying in the KHL due to his contract while being way more than NHL ready. He wasn’t a top pick though so I don’t know if that can be used as a benchmark.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Is there any chance he can get out of his contract to play in the show before 26’? Trying to think of similar situations that can be used as comparables. I remember Kaprizov staying in the KHL due to his contract while being way more than NHL ready. He wasn’t a top pick though so I don’t know if that can be used as a benchmark.

Michkov will come to the league at age 21 and probably immediately become a superstar, the same way as Kaprizov or better. Why should he try to get earlier to the NHL? He'll be at the start of his prime when comes to the NHL, have matured physically and mentally for a superstar role. There is no point for him and the team that picks him to accelerate the process.

Last edited:

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Ovechkin didn't really dominate anyone in the KHL (well, RSL) at this stage. I'm pretty sure Michkov would do just fine.

Ovi was Dynamos best goal scorer with 18 years, was lightning fast and even back than a physical force (6-foot-2, 200-pounds) who played a physical game. So a complete different player than Michkov, who is not faster, stronger or heavier than his opponents. He is first off all smarter than everyone.

Besides that, I didn’t heard of one scout that Michkovs play in the VHL instead of a full time role in the K is a problem at all. Wheeler in the Athletic was asked if he thinks that Michkov will drop because of being in the VHL:
"No, I don't think its concerning at all. In fact, finally, I'm confident – nay, sure – that if he were playing for SKA right now in a top-nine/PP role that he'd be more productive and impactful than some of the players they have in that mix presently, and that’s a very talented team."

And that’s exactly what I thinks too. He has a challenging environment in the VHL to work on his few bad habits (which every junior player has), but his offensive output shows very well than even now with his child body he already can produce against men.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
This is very good, we will see him in the KHL with a good ice time until the end of the season.
The issue is that for Sochi the season ends in February. Still he probably would be able to play for Rostov in the VHL after that, if they make the VHL play-offs, unless they will finally assemble that U25 Team Russia of course.

olgerd

Oct 19, 2021
The issue is that for Sochi the season ends in February. Still he probably would be able to play for Rostov in the VHL after that, if they make the VHL play-offs, unless they will finally assemble that U25 Team Russia of course.
Right, I forgot that the regular season in the KHL ends in February. But Michkov will have 30 full KHL games for Sochi.

Sochi has a match today. It is unlikely that Michkov will have time to join the team.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Right, I forgot that the regular season in the KHL ends in February. But Michkov will have 30 full KHL games for Sochi.
I highly doubt that he will make it to the today's game, so likely 29 games, 2 points for every win means 58 possible points, only 26 are separating them from the playoffs now, so... :) And if not, there's also MHL's Kapitan, who might need some help in the play-ins. :sarcasm:

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
in your opinions is he the best Russian prospect since ovy?
Here we have to remember that when we are talking about prospects and trying to compare them between different years we have to consider the expectations/hype and I'd say the expectations from Andrei Svechnikov were kind of in the same tier, he still is rather young to be able to achieve that though.

olgerd

Oct 19, 2021
Here we have to remember that when we are talking about prospects and trying to compare them between different years we have to consider the expectations/hype and I'd say the expectations from Andrei Svechnikov were kind of in the same tier, he still is rather young to be able to achieve that though.
I disagree a little. Michkov shows more impressive achievements under 18 than Svechnikov. This despite the fact that he was always the youngest and smallest.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Yeah, Michkov was younger than Svechnikov, less physically developed and still better which means another IQ level, and Svech is a pretty smart player.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Yeah, Michkov was younger than Svechnikov, less physically developed and still better which means another IQ level, and Svech is a pretty smart player.

Nevertheless Svechs hype was pretty high coming out of russian junior league and destroying his brothers stats who himself was a 1st round pick (in one of the strongest drafts ever). As a March kid he put up over 4 PPG and had 20 more goals than his linemate, another highly touted prospect in Khovanov. He was dominant at the YOG and later WJAC and at the end of the day Bragin took him as a draft eligible underager to the U20s. But his international play as a Teenager besides the mentioned b tournaments put things in perspective.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Hopefully coach Mourinho is coming to his senses. Using SKA as a quasi-national development program just leads to overcrowding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad