RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
What's the highest a VHL player has ever been drafted in the NHL? Who was it?

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
Now his even strength production is really picking up. Anyone who watched the games didn't worry, as the chances were there at 5 on 5. If he goes any lower than 3, it would be a steal

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Miroshnichenko was picked #20 after 10+6 in 31 games. Michkov has already scored as many goals in 3 times less games...
Yeah and he was considered to be a top 10 to top 5 talent before he got cancer. He beat that and is back on the ice and looks like a steal for the Capitals.

Reactions: slumpy43

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
wasn't it offside, though? didn't see the whole game but from what parts i saw i wasn't very impressed. espesially his defense, it was atrocious.
You aren’t drafting the kid for his defense. You’re drafting him because of his ability to score goals and he is elite in that category.

Michkov gets a lot of criticism but I’ve watched a lot of Regina and Bedard causes a large amount of atrocious turnoversa game and his defensive play is nothing to marvel at. Michkov is playing against 30 year olds by the way and he’s listed on EP as 148lbs.

You aren’t drafting Bedard or Michkov to play PK.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
It’s been a tough year in terms of real exposure for Michkov and that will hurt his stock. He’s barely playing in the KHL and Russia is not playing at the WJC-20.

In my eyes, this is still the Bedard-Michkov draft at this point. Some team is going to get a franchise player when this kid falls.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
It’s been a tough year in terms of real exposure for Michkov and that will hurt his stock. He’s barely playing in the KHL and Russia is not playing at the WJC-20.

In my eyes, this is still the Bedard-Michkov draft at this point. Some team is going to get a franchise player when this kid falls.
yep, the wjc would be a great opportunity to see where he stands among his peers.

dyldude

Nov 19, 2019
What's the highest a VHL player has ever been drafted in the NHL? Who was it?
Miroshnichenko (20th) played 31 VHL games and 1 MHL game in his DY, so he's the real answer probably.

Svechkov (19th) was roughly a full-time VHLer; 38 VHL games, 15 MHL games.

Podkolzin (10th) is the highest to be picked with a just the majority of games being in the VHL; 14 VHL games, 12 MHL games, 3 KHL games.

Reactions: Czechboy

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
I'm concerned about Michkov. He hasn't scored in the VHL in his last couple games and has been falling off the radar recently.

Is there anything going on with him that I don't know about? I thought Mat would be a KHL player this year.

dyldude

Nov 19, 2019
I'm concerned about Michkov. He hasn't scored in the VHL in his last couple games and has been falling off the radar recently.

Is there anything going on with him that I don't know about? I thought Mat would be a KHL player this year.
2 goals in his last 4 games definitely isn't enough to say he's "falling off the radar" lol

he's also been busy moving around a lot recently, splitting time between the VHL, KHL, Russia U20 team, and the 3x3 Russian National Team all in the past two months.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

If you end up picking before us and it's after the #2 pick... please keep worrying

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

Kids don’t get ice time in the KHL, it is a veterans league

He’s gonna be a superstar, nothing at all to worry about

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Looks good in the VHL, but there's been a lack of willingness to promote his game to the KHL and it's not clear why. He needs the challenge.

Reactions: BMann and SlafySZN

PM88RU

Dec 24, 2020
Moscow, Russia
I have seen the guy live playing 3x3 last Saturday where Team Russia managed to lose to team Kazakhstan in the shootout … 3x3 game with 3periods, each of 7 minutes, like 20 min overall.

Overall Good individual effort from him (was active and spectacular, showed some moves, had a goal in SO), but 0 pts in the end and team Russia heavily missed chemistry, thus I have a mixed feelings of what I’ve seen.

Do I think I’ve witnessed a rising star? Probably yes. At least that’s what I told to my son. Last time I was at the NT game live sometime in ~2005, I’ve seen Ovi, who wasn’t that famous back then. Who would’ve known Ovi will have such a career.

Probably, Michkov will shine some day too.

Last edited:

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Michkov was again one month out before his four games in December, we don't know why. Someone here guessed it was Covid and this could be right, he looked absolutely gassed against Metallurg and played only 13 minutes the next two games. In his last game he played again his usual top 6 time around 18/19 minutes and skated really well.

People seems to be confused about his VHL stats or are not able to put them in perspective. In my eyes, if Michkov was playing in the CHL, he would have scored around 2 PPG... already last year. I have no doubts about it. Matvei Petrov is scoring around 1.4 PPG in the O and he wasnt even PPG in the low scoring MHL in his draft year. And Petrov is or was not close to a potential Russian U20 squad last year or this year. Michkov was 1.8 PPG in the MHL last season...

That Prospects like Fantilli and or Carlsson are ranked above him is laughable in my opinion. Especially that Fantilli guy I saw at the U18 is not in the same league as Michkov. Not close. (sidenote, the same U18s people promised Bedard will destroy even more than Michkov the same age so 16 years old... we saw how that played out.) Both came down to earth after their "better than Eichel or Forsberg stats", but people trying never the less really hard to overhype them. Fantilli is a PPG player his last 10 games in the NCAA with his all star team. Carlsson had 1 G 2 A his last 10 SHL games...

Michkov played his last game last season back in April. Without international games he had to wait till august for his first pre game this season in which Emelin took him out for another two months. Back again he managed a goal per game in a league in which #20 OA Miroshnichenko had aorund 0.5 PPG in his draft year (and Miro never fell because of his stats as we know...). After few games he again was out for one month, comes back and scores two goals in four games. Again, Miro is the record holder for undraftet prospects with 10 goals in 31 games... But thats exactly what generational talents do.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
I believe I read somewhere that someone around the organization said he doesn’t have the two-way game to play in the KHL yet.
I dont know about someone out of the org talked about his 2 way game. Rotenberg mentioned his legs are not ready or not trained well enough yet. But thats about his first steps, Michkov is not fast enough to seperate himself from the still stand against men.

But thats a SKA thing. Michkov or Buchelnikov could easily play a full time role in the KHL already. As someone like Yurov do. Both are better than half of SKAs roster.

At the end of the day, as long as both are playing enough minutes against men in the VHL, its not needed yet for them to play in the KHL at all.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I dont know about someone out of the org talked about his 2 way game. Rotenberg mentioned his legs are not ready or not trained well enough yet. But thats about his first steps, Michkov is not fast enough to seperate himself from the still stand against men.

But thats a SKA thing. Michkov or Buchelnikov could easily play a full time role in the KHL already. As someone like Yurov do. Both are better than half of SKAs roster.

At the end of the day, as long as both are playing enough minutes against men in the VHL, its not needed yet for them to play in the KHL at all.
I just looked it up and it was Rottenberg, here was the direct thing I read:

1671369948741.png

I agree though - both should be in the KHL.

Reactions: Mr Buckles

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Michkov was again one month out before his four games in December, we don't know why. Someone here guessed it was Covid and this could be right, he looked absolutely gassed against Metallurg and played only 13 minutes the next two games. In his last game he played again his usual top 6 time around 18/19 minutes and skated really well.

People seems to be confused about his VHL stats or are not able to put them in perspective. In my eyes, if Michkov was playing in the CHL, he would have scored around 2 PPG... already last year. I have no doubts about it. Matvei Petrov is scoring around 1.4 PPG in the O and he wasnt even PPG in the low scoring MHL in his draft year. And Petrov is or was not close to a potential Russian U20 squad last year or this year. Michkov was 1.8 PPG in the MHL last season...

That Prospects like Fantilli and or Carlsson are ranked above him is laughable in my opinion. Especially that Fantilli guy I saw at the U18 is not in the same league as Michkov. Not close. (sidenote, the same U18s people promised Bedard will destroy even more than Michkov the same age so 16 years old... we saw how that played out.) Both came down to earth after their "better than Eichel or Forsberg stats", but people trying never the less really hard to overhype them. Fantilli is a PPG player his last 10 games in the NCAA with his all star team. Carlsson had 1 G 2 A his last 10 SHL games...

Michkov played his last game last season back in April. Without international games he had to wait till august for his first pre game this season in which Emelin took him out for another two months. Back again he managed a goal per game in a league in which #20 OA Miroshnichenko had aorund 0.5 PPG in his draft year (and Miro never fell because of his stats as we know...). After few games he again was out for one month, comes back and scores two goals in four games. Again, Miro is the record holder for undraftet prospects with 10 goals in 31 games... But thats exactly what generational talents do.
Talk about one extreme to another. The Russian avatar makes sense to see. Michkov won't be able to come for what 3 years? Plus the situation the world seems to be headed into... I would be surprised if he went #2 or even #3 tbh.

Reactions: Dominance
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad