RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
See he could easily have scored 3 goals in the first game:

That doesn't mean he had a good game overall in terms of his chances at SKA. I think he still has some bad habits from junior hockey (aside from coming off a two-month injury and generally not playing for almost half a year).

Michkov has a habit of shooting from almost any position. Time and time again he made the junior goalies look stupid by surprising them and catching them out of position. It doesn't work that way in men's hockey anymore. And if the goalie is prepared, it's you who looks stupid and recklessly misses a good opportunity. He had a few scenes like that in the first game where it was an easy save for the goalie. He shouldn't give up his cheeky manner just use it more purposefully.

Then he holds the puck too long. This often leads to giveaways especially when he does it on the boards. Michkov is quite strong for his size, doesn't shy away from physical contact and often gets into board battles... which are almost 100% lost against men at the moment. Otherwise he had a puck loss yesterday which led to a straight 2v1 breakaway. In the first VHL game there were several.

In general I think he needs to work a little harder in the defensive zone. I don't think he can afford to just wait and see how his teammates works for him at SKA. Cherry picking is okay if you are clearly the best player and score twice as much as the next guy. But SKA has several players who played in the NHL or have the talent for the NHL. They lead the KHL with 10 wins in 14 games. A 17 year old has to earn his spot no matter how talented he is.

In my opinion, he is in good hands in the VHL at the moment. He'll adapt quickly and like I said, it's only a matter of time before he gets a regular roster spot at SKA. There's no question about his talent, but he can still work on a few bad habits (like every player his age and size). In the end when he will left Russia for the NHL he will set scoring benchmarks in every relevant Russian league for the next generational talent, I’m fine with it.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He doesn't look ready for the KHL yet.

If he played on a team like Torpedo, under Larionov's coaching he would have already scored tons of points. Offensive minded coach who trusts young kids is what Michkov needs. SKA is different. It's like adding a 18 year old kid to a team with full 3 first lines and one energetic and very good 3rd line. No matter how good the kid is he won't play. It's impossible in the NHL though because prospects of Michkov caliber just can't be gotten by teams full of top6 players.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
If he played on a team like Torpedo, under Larionov's coaching he would have already scored tons of points. Offensive minded coach who trusts young kids is what Michkov needs. SKA is different. It's like adding a 18 year old kid to a team with full 3 first lines and one energetic and very good 3rd line. No matter how good the kid is he won't play. It's impossible in the NHL though because prospects of Michkov caliber just can't be gotten by teams full of top6 players.
So he must has garbage advisors? Because he signed a long term contract with SKA I mean.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
He better than bedard because his highlights are flashier. I not see what can possibly be wrong with this logic

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
There is such thing as money. If it wasn't worth it I'm pretty sure he (or his agent) would have already asked for trade.
If money was the most important he would've signed a deal that expired before the upcoming draft since he would make a lot more as a NHL rookie than as a KHL prospect.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If money was the most important he would've signed a deal that expired before the upcoming draft since he would make a lot more as a NHL rookie than as a KHL prospect.

Well I'm pretty sure he will make much more in the KHL than what NHL ELC contract is. Don't forget his salary doesn't count against the cap untill he's 21. So if (when?) he becomes a KHL superstar SKA will have to pay him a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad