RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
If you can become the best goalscorer in the NHL ever this year or the next, how in the actual hell aren't you considered as generational player? Do you honestly believe your own bulls*t? Hilarious take.

Just because Crosby is generational doesn't exclude the fact that Ovie is that too. I mean the difference amongst Messi and Ronaldo is bigger imo and both are considered as generational talents and rightly so. The numbers they've produced at times when all opponents have been full time pro's in comparison with the old days?
If anything Ovies numbers are even more impressing than Gretzkys for me and this comes from a finn. He's played in a era with a lot better goalies and against a lot more even opponents with a considerably higher minimum level.

Please just stop that bogus already. It's like stating that Lemieux and Jagr weren't generational because they played at the same time. Lol!

At the end of the day, both Ovie and Crosby are better than every prospect playing now with McDavid as the only one possible to reach same heights even if he hasn't carried a lot of teams to gold. My point in this? This should open your eyes to the fact that both Ovie and Crosby are generational because history shows that it will be very difficult to achieve and repeat their success.
Like honestly, if you buy a game for an example? Say NHL, do you honestly think that only Crosby would be considered as generational? I mean no, nope, hell no, your statement is nothing but ridiculous. Ovie would probably and actually should be one of the best in a created game. Therefor he is... What? Generational. He will be far more remembered than others you consider as generational.

I mean it's consensus by now that Ovie is generational. But always entertained with your exaggerations and attempts to "Sell" your opinions and hot takes. Truly impressed.

I think Ovechkin is a generational talent, but I'm not sure how to define it. Stat compiling doesn't really do it for me, it's more of an eye test thing. I'd say a prime Eric Lindros was a generational player and I would take him 10/10 over Ovechkin, but he doesn't have the stats due to injury.

SlobKnox

Oct 16, 2024
I suppose this argument could be made merely looking at his statistical profile.

Indeed years excelling to a historic degree into his rookie season are set in stone. Why are we rewriting his history now? Bedard is a generational prospect but can he be an elite pro of legend is yet to be seen

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I think Ovechkin is a generational talent, but I'm not sure how to define it. Stat compiling doesn't really do it for me, it's more of an eye test thing. I'd say a prime Eric Lindros was a generational player and I would take him 10/10 over Ovechkin, but he doesn't have the stats due to injury.
Both can be generational. Stats isn't everything and injuries play a part of course. I mean some players never reach their full potential because of injuries.
Thing is, when you are able to become the most scoring player ever in the NHL and do it in the modern era where basically all your opponents are pro's and the competitive level is arguably higher than before? I mean then you have more things backing you up than only the eye test. Ovie has it all to be fair.

And I've like to add that I'm a lot more charmed by players like Datsyuk and others with similar style of playing hockey.
But not being able to give Ovie credit as generational like some people in here are just laughable and nothing but a silly take.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Tried to watch him most shifts last night and he’s fun to watch, going to be a pain in the ass to play against in the Metro for a long time. Also thought it was pretty ballsy/funny when he got into with Duhaime at the face-off circle, the kid’s got spunk which should endear him to Philly fans.

The only real negative I noticed was that he looks really small out there. He got knocked off the puck pretty easily and struggled along the boards. He’s a kid playing against grown men so it’s understandable but that was the only real thing negative that jumped out to me. He looked noticeably shorter than most guys on the ice as well.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Michkov dominating and Flyers sucking is probably the best case scenario for the Flyers this year. Let him eat, while everyone else falls apart enough where they could be in a position to snag Hagens/Misa/McQueen.
True. I would love Hagens with Michkov. God damn! The league needs this. Those eastern games would be much more exciting. Devils and Rangers, Bruins getting some competition from their close rivals wouldn't be bad for the league.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Bedard is a generational prospect what is done once he is solidified as pro doesnt have any barring on that. If he lives up to the billing doesn’t change what he was as a prospect
I disagree, raw point totals isn't the only thing that determines a generational prospect. He never had the elite athletic attributes (strength & speed) to be considered generational in today's NHL.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Tried to watch him most shifts last night and he’s fun to watch, going to be a pain in the ass to play against in the Metro for a long time. Also thought it was pretty ballsy/funny when he got into with Duhaime at the face-off circle, the kid’s got spunk which should endear him to Philly fans.

The only real negative I noticed was that he looks really small out there. He got knocked off the puck pretty easily and struggled along the boards. He’s a kid playing against grown men so it’s understandable but that was the only real thing negative that jumped out to me. He looked noticeably shorter than most guys on the ice as well.
I'm hoping he tries out a longer stick. I think it will help his reach and being able to stand more upright.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Some people are super emotional with the generational term. Only their favs/Canadians are allowed to be generational. Isn't Draisaitl a generational German player? He for sure is. As for Michkov, he is per definition a generational Russian prospect who has achieved more to this point (and age) than any other Russian prospect up to Ovechkin. At the same time that means nothing for his NHL career. But even if you look at his production so far, I say they are not many Russians who started as teenager in the NHL an went straight PPG. We'll see what it looks like at the end of the season.

Strong enough for Tom Wilson.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If you can become the best goalscorer in the NHL ever this year or the next, how in the actual hell aren't you considered as generational player? Do you honestly believe your own bulls*t? Hilarious take.

Just because Crosby is generational doesn't exclude the fact that Ovie is that too. I mean the difference amongst Messi and Ronaldo is bigger imo and both are considered as generational talents and rightly so. The numbers they've produced at times when all opponents have been full time pro's in comparison with the old days?
If anything Ovies numbers are even more impressing than Gretzkys for me and this comes from a finn. He's played in a era with a lot better goalies and against a lot more even opponents with a considerably higher minimum level.

Please just stop that bogus already. It's like stating that Lemieux and Jagr weren't generational because they played at the same time. Lol!

At the end of the day, both Ovie and Crosby are better than every prospect playing now with McDavid as the only one possible to reach same heights even if he hasn't carried a lot of teams to gold. My point in this? This should open your eyes to the fact that both Ovie and Crosby are generational because history shows that it will be very difficult to achieve and repeat their success.
Like honestly, if you buy a game for an example? Say NHL, do you honestly think that only Crosby would be considered as generational? I mean no, nope, hell no, your statement is nothing but ridiculous. Ovie would probably and actually should be one of the best in a created game. Therefor he is... What? Generational. He will be far more remembered than others you consider as generational.

I mean it's consensus by now that Ovie is generational. But always entertained with your exaggerations and attempts to "Sell" your opinions and hot takes. Truly impressed.
Yikes, someone's sensitive.

I have a higher bar for than you. I don't consider Ovechkin, Malkin, or Jagr to be "generational" players. As others have pointed out, its a highly subjective term, so I am not sure why you are so offended.

Going back to 40 years, there have been 4 forwards I consider generational:

Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid

Ovechkin doesn't make that list for me.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Yikes, someone's sensitive.

I have a higher bar for than you. I don't consider Ovechkin, Malkin, or Jagr to be "generational" players. As others have pointed out, its a highly subjective term, so I am not sure why you are so offended.

Going back to 40 years, there have been 4 forwards I consider generational:

Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid

Ovechkin doesn't make that list for me.

Tough list, I'd probably put Ovechkin on that short list as well but I can respect that take either way. The generational term is thrown out way too much.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
I've seen some "Lesser than Celebrini" takes floating around. I figured I would put my actual list combining these 2 drafts. I will do 2 lists. One will be purely based on how good I think they are at Hockey/who I think will be best in the NHL. The other is my best impression of stepping into a GM's shoes. Unfortunately there are non hockey risks that do impact decisions. If I were in charge who would I take.

As a GM :

1. Bedard(Top tier talent. Child prodigy. I control his development immediately)
2. Michkov(Contract. I wouldn't pass on a child prodigy that met expectations at every level though)
3. Carlsson(IQ. Great tangible skills too, but a truly elite brain)
4. Celebrini
5. Demidov(Crazy unique tangible talent, but I don't get him right away. Also, Rottenberg is his coach for the year I don't get him. He isn't better than Michkov, but he is the exact type of talent Habs fans have been desperate for. He is and will be super fun to watch)
6. Fantilli (IQ. His IQ isn't bad, but it isn't crazy high either. He does have electric skill though)
7. Ryan Leonard(The list probably shouldn't go this far, but this Kid is a beast. I think he will be a star for the caps. Barring injury he plays a style of hockey that translates)

Purely from a potential Hockey perspective

1. Bedard/Michkov(Child Prodigies)
2. Carlsson(IQ)
3. Celebrini/Demidov(Yeah, in terms of talent and potential I think they are closer than most seem to think. Celebrini is good. I would say he has a better IQ, but Demidov is a truly electric talent with a solid IQ. No contract and I actually might take Demidov over him. Celebrini's IQ is not light years better and I truly haven't seen a player stick handle like Demidov. The closest hands to Demidov I have seen in a highend prospect would have to be Habs fan favorite Stutzle, but the way they dangle is pretty different. Stu's hands were quick and zippy and Demidov's are more smooth and silky if that makes sense.)
4. Fantilli
5. Ryan Leonard

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
True. I would love Hagens with Michkov. God damn! The league needs this. Those eastern games would be much more exciting. Devils and Rangers, Bruins getting some competition from their close rivals wouldn't be bad for the league.

This is the conundrum of the philly fans who love this team too much. We never get "draft breaks" from the NHL because whether 1st place or last place, the arena is always full.

We gotta a pull a Pittsburgh and just make the arena a ghost town and be near bankrupt. Hagens and McKenna will be in orange and black like Crosby and Malkin. The NHL would go crazy losing the philly market.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Tough list, I'd probably put Ovechkin on that short list as well but I can respect that take either way. The generational term is thrown out way too much.
Yeah but its not a stretch to call Michkov a generational russian prospect , I mean this guy was already known at 15-16 in NA with people following his career , usually not the case for Russian Prospects but with the rise of social media maybe that has something to do with it as well. For example Demidov ( I know I know wrong thread ) Also had eyes on him at that age but nothing close to how known Michkov was at 15-16 overseas

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
After last year's PP clownshow I didn't see this coming
Screenshot_2024-10-24-17-15-59-571_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah but its not a stretch to call Michkov a generational russian prospect , I mean this guy was already known at 15-16 in NA with people following his career , usually not the case for Russian Prospects but with the rise of social media maybe that has something to do with it as well

Social media and access, it was super easy to find a live stream of his Sochi games the past few years, but yeah I agree, I’m not sure he’ll be a generational type player though, as a prospect though the way he’s dominated all competition since he was a kid is crazy.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Michkov dominating and Flyers sucking is probably the best case scenario for the Flyers this year. Let him eat, while everyone else falls apart enough where they could be in a position to snag Hagens/Misa/McQueen.
All my favorite prospects get drafted by rival teams, so you guys are getting Jimmy Hagens.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
As a prospect, sure, but when all is said and done it that label is earned be based on their actual performance in the NHL.

Michkov being perceived as a worse prospect than Celebrini doesn't mean much. Just like how Bedard was seen as a generational talent when he pretty clearly was not.

Bedard was def generational. CHL scoring rates were equal or close to McDavid, Crosby, and Lindros. Highest WHL p/g in decades for a FYE. McDavid was about a point a game his rookie NHL year, a hair over Bedard. Although I’m surprised Bedard isn’t scoring more, you have to think 100 points by 20 years old is a strong possibility and puts him in that elite category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad