RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Tyanulin was a PPG player in DEL, and he's been steadily improving since then. He has 10 points in the last 8 games and 27 points in the last 25 KHL games, he'd be a star in the SHL for sure.

As to Rendulic, he was the best scorer on his team in his only SHL season and was top15 scorer in the league, not bad I'd say. He's hot right now, but not sure he'll continue his scoring feats. And Kristof is what he is. They've found chemistry on their line, but I doubt he'll be much better than he was in the previous season if better at all. He's not as good as Tyanulin like at all.
Tyanulin's success proves that KHL went downhill in recent years. PPG in DEL was on a horrible team where he had no competition for scoring role and ice time. I mean, was Igor Skorokhodov a star in KHL when he scored a bunch of goals one year? Or Ilya Krikunov in Sochi?

Rendulic has made more impact than Tyanulin this year, so far he is Sochi MVP. He wasnt a star in SHL, good player, not a star, basically same role as in KHL now. Best scorer on his team does not mean much, his PPG was not the best and he scored like 1 or 2 pts more than his linemates Kovacs and Abols who both are not stars but just good players aswell.

tyanulin greatly benefits from playing with michkov. take michkov away and his ppg will again hover around 0.5. he is too small and soft and doesn't excel at anything to play in the nhl. it'll be a disservice to michkov to burden him with tyanulin in the nhl only because they had chemistry in sochi.
Tyanulin is a fine player, I actually like him, but this "NHL level" or "SHL star" talk is baseless

• Haha
Reactions: BMann

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Have you seen old Soviet games? I'd recommend you to watch CSKA - Edmonton in 1986, if my memory serves me well. I mean, Edmonton had big problems to leave its own zone the whole game, and they had Gretzky on the roster. Forechecking was always one of the corner stones of the Soviet hockey system. It's just we've forgotten about this a little bit.
I watched it. I think hockey is on the other level after euros joined nhl. And we missed a part of talented popularity because of its different smaller country now.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
Tyanulin is not an NHL level player, and Flyers would be wisr tonfind an actual NHLer to play with Michkov.
Tyanulin played in Germany recently and was nothing special
I agree that Tyanulin isn't special. I disagree that he is not capable of playing in the NHL. There are definitely less talented 3rd/4th line players in the NHL right now holding "high character/role player" roster slots. The flyers would not sign him to be special. I am not saying, "he is so amazing go get him". I am saying if Michkov asked them to bring Tyanulin over, I would sign him to be Michkov's buddy. I have seen Tyanulin play a lot since last season, sure he occasionally makes mistakes, but he has a lot of talent and usually makes the right reads with the puck. Great speed, Great hands(I have seen him dangle), Great work ethic(backcheck and effort in the D zone), and most importantly when someone comes at Michkov Tyanulin instantly jumps to Michkov's defense.

The difference between signing a random current Russian NHL player and Tyanulin, is there is 0 guarantee michkov and the random Russian currently in the NHL will get along or have chemistry. Are all canadians friends with each other because they are also from Canada? Where as Michkov is definitely friends with Tyanulin.

That said, I will restate that I would not go out of my way to sign Tyanulin, but if Michkov asked to bring him or the flyers asked Michkov if they should bring him over and Michkov said yes, I would definitely do it

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So is his hockey IQ generational or just elite elite
I think it's right there. The true mark of generational IQ isn't as much vision with the puck (though that is certainly important), but it's the off puck anticipation - the guys who just know where the puck is going to be before everyone else.

This is what made Crosby so special - it was unbelievable how many garbage goals he has scored just by his anticipation. It's also what has made Gaudreau such an effective NHL player despite his size.

Here is a great example of what I am talking about:

He makes a low to high pass across the middle of the ice to a teammate who is in motion, and you can see he instantly realizes where he needs to get to.
1696341035300.png

In only 2 seconds, he's positioned himself in the perfect spot for a wide open rebound. Look at the urgency in his skating to get to that spot, it's clear he knows how valuable that ice is about to become.
1696340845810.png

This is another great example, where you see him anticipate that the puck is going to get to the backdoor before the defender Comeau, and he beats him to that spot for the easy goal.

Again, you can see how he gets on his horse the moment he recognizes where the puck is going, like a full second before Comeau:

1696341821575.png

And by the time Comeau realizes it, its too late
1696341894381.png

In watching Michkov, I do believe he possesses this ability moreso than even Bedard.

His first goal of the season was an example of this timing and awareness of where the puck is going to go:

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
His first goal of the season was an example of this timing and awareness of where the puck is going to go:
Yeah so many players would either stop right in front of the goalie or on the right side of the net. I believe Michkov goes to the left side of the net b/c he's aware that his teammate is shooting from slightly to the right of the center of the ice. So more often than not the rebound/loose puck will be on the left side of the net

Great examples of Gaudreau btw

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah so many players would either stop right in front of the goalie or on the right side of the net. I believe Michkov goes to the left side of the net b/c he's aware that his teammate is shooting from slightly to the right of the center of the ice. So more often than not the rebound/loose puck will be on the left side of the net

Great examples of Gaudreau btw
Exactly correct. That sort of instinct is something that you can't teach. It's not like defenders don't know that scorers like Gaudreau and Michkov are the last guys you want to leave open around the net. They are quite aware lol. But when elite players know where the puck is gonna end up be before you, it's really freakin hard to defend.

Reactions: Unger9 and tnfrs

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Exactly correct. That sort of instinct is something that you can't teach. It's not like defenders don't know that scorers like Gaudreau and Michkov are the last guys you want to leave open around the net. They are quite aware lol. But when elite players know where the puck is gonna end up be before you, it's really freakin hard to defend.
he's always forcing them to react and hes always a step of that too, like when he races for a puck and spins off the contact and slingshots himself the other way with the extra leverage, future hockey judo shit

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
he's always forcing them to react and hes always a step of that too, like when he races for a puck and spins off the contact and slingshots himself the other way with the extra leverage, future hockey judo shit
Yep, that's because he knows what he wants to do before he even has the puck, before defenders can even try to anticipate. Gaudreau again is a great comparable for this.

The game just moves slowly for these types of special talents. You can see it in the way they are able to hold onto the puck in traffic, allowing defending sticks to get impossibly close before threading a perfectly paced pass to an open teammate. It's crazy how easy they can make the game look.

Reactions: tnfrs and Unger9

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I think it's right there. The true mark of generational IQ isn't as much vision with the puck (though that is certainly important), but it's the off puck anticipation - the guys who just know where the puck is going to be before everyone else.

This is what made Crosby so special - it was unbelievable how many garbage goals he has scored just by his anticipation. It's also what has made Gaudreau such an effective NHL player despite his size.

Here is a great example of what I am talking about:

He makes a low to high pass across the middle of the ice to a teammate who is in motion, and you can see he instantly realizes where he needs to get to.
View attachment 748520

In only 2 seconds, he's positioned himself in the perfect spot for a wide open rebound. Look at the urgency in his skating to get to that spot, it's clear he knows how valuable that ice is about to become.
View attachment 748518

This is another great example, where you see him anticipate that the puck is going to get to the backdoor before the defender Comeau, and he beats him to that spot for the easy goal.

Again, you can see how he gets on his horse the moment he recognizes where the puck is going, like a full second before Comeau:

View attachment 748525
And by the time Comeau realizes it, its too late
View attachment 748526

In watching Michkov, I do believe he possesses this ability moreso than even Bedard.

As a Flyer fan who watched Crosby kill my team numerous times, I first thought that he was just lucky, he was always in the right place at the right time. After seeing it so much I came to the conclusion that that was the sign of an incredible IQ and anticipation; arguably the best “skill” you can have

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Regarding game vs SKA, I did not watch. 1+2 is really impressive but can't comment on the game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad