RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Philly is a mess! Farabee,York,Sanheim,Konecny,Tippett,Frost and Foerster can stay the rest well... a majority have to go...there is hope Andrae plays for the Flyers this year and Fedotov and Kolosov next year...Not sure what's happening to Hart...but yeah you can't have a potential Super-Star like Michkov coming into a Shit-Show

I'd say watch a bunch of KHL games and watch the artistry of their passing...love seeing the flip,saucer pass too...few NHLers make this pass
Im watching a lot) KHL game isnt as intense, forecheck is easier. Its harder game than SHL and of course AHL, its the second best league. But still not the first. And the level of intense making impact on the game. Reason why very creative and smart player Gusev could make a lot in KHL but couldnt find space to create the same in NHL.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
@Guadana @Kshahdoo

I've thought about this before. The Russian style of hockey does seem to have a certain element of creativity to it, and more in a teamwork sense than individual efforts. I also wondered if Russian coaches in general heavily emphasize puck support in their systems

I could get on board with Russian puck support is better than North America.. but passing, it's seems hard to say that the average KHL player is a better passer than average NHL. Has to be the other way around

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
that would be amazing. i know michkov talks to zamula and stays in touch with the team through him, it would be cool if he had some russians to play with,or at least russian speakers like kolosov
The flyers could sign Artur Tyanulin. Him and Michkov are already boys from being linemates last season too. They were joshing around with each other in the preseason, now linemates again this year. Tyanulin isn't a star or anything, but I think he is likely good enough to not hurt your nhl team. If Michkov wanted it, I'd throw Tyanulin cheap contract to be Michkovs russian buddy in America

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Yeah, he's very similar in this to Kaprizov, who was considered a goal scorer but turned out to be as good playmaker. Hope, Matvei will be even better player. Btw Russian press said that Kaprizov could go to Phli after his contract with Minnesota is over, probably speculations but him and Michkov on the same line could be epic.
This is another reason why I was so excited for PHI to draft Michkov. It could have a destination effect for Russian players. And if the Flyers have brain cells they should essentially lose all fear of drafting any Russian player

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
@Guadana @Kshahdoo

I've thought about this before. The Russian style of hockey does seem to have a certain element of creativity to it, and more in a teamwork sense than individual efforts. I also wondered if Russian coaches in general heavily emphasize puck support in their systems

I could get on board with Russian puck support is better than North America.. but passing, it's seems hard to say that the average KHL player is a better passer than average NHL. Has to be the other way around
Its the other side of the question.

First of all we should understand - Russia has deep sporting system. And hockey isnt the first or may be even the second most popular sport. Russia has okay economics, but the level of the middle citizen isnt really good for hockey. So a lot of talented young kids are trying themselves in other sports. Its nowhere close to Canada where hockey is the first sport.
Canada is building their hockey more on intensive game with a lot of forecheck and pressure. Its great to learn how to pass all different ways, but on the speed and pressure of higher level there are different and more important things like understanding where every player should be in different situations, cover the zone, hard work with the pace of the game etc.
Russia learn from it, but Soviet school is still works(because it works, even if someone dont think so). And of course there are a lot of passing works in training camps. Different exercises. But when the game is playing on the high level - the level of talent is going to meaning more. Reason why Russia won a lot of WC or Olympic games in 2018, but cant win it against more talented and deep Canada team on higher level.
We have example of Finnish team, where they are playing on positional defensive game and won a lot of important games even with less talented roster and not flashy actions on the edge.
Swedes are trying to implement different ways of schemes to play. In SHL I saw how some teams create opportunity for making open shot without pressure when entering offensive zone 4 on 3.

And pandemic and cold war 2.0 broke the chance to see great tournament where all teams could have good rosters. Its not a problem that Russians(because popularity of sport) or Finns(because of population) have weaker rosters. Its condition. And its very interesting to see how different countries are trying to win by their method, in the same time using some part of opponents expirience.

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
The hockey IQ here is extremely rare.

On the goal, you can see he recognizes the opportunity for an odd-man break a second or two before anyone else and gets a critical headstart.

Similarly, with the 2nd assist you see him catch the pass and find the open man for a tap in rather than hammer what would have been an uncontested one-timer opportunity.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
This is another reason why I was so excited for PHI to draft Michkov. It could have a destination effect for Russian players. And if the Flyers have brain cells they should essentially lose all fear of drafting any Russian player
But for the Flyers to draft Russians and sign them they should have to pay a Transfer Fee like 5-6 Million for first rounders,3.5-5 M for 2nd rounders,1.5-3 M for 3rd and all the way down to 1 M for the rest 4th-7th Rounders and Free Agents

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
@Guadana @Kshahdoo

Russian Hockey always been like that

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Its the other side of the question.

First of all we should understand - Russia has deep sporting system. And hockey isnt the first or may be even the second most popular sport. Russia has okay economics, but the level of the middle citizen isnt really good for hockey. So a lot of talented young kids are trying themselves in other sports. Its nowhere close to Canada where hockey is the first sport.
Canada is building their hockey more on intensive game with a lot of forecheck and pressure. Its great to learn how to pass all different ways, but on the speed and pressure of higher level there are different and more important things like understanding where every player should be in different situations, cover the zone, hard work with the pace of the game etc.
Russia learn from it, but Soviet school is still works(because it works, even if someone dont think so). And of course there are a lot of passing works in training camps. Different exercises. But when the game is playing on the high level - the level of talent is going to meaning more. Reason why Russia won a lot of WC or Olympic games in 2018, but cant win it against more talented and deep Canada team on higher level.
We have example of Finnish team, where they are playing on positional defensive game and won a lot of important games even with less talented roster and not flashy actions on the edge.
Swedes are trying to implement different ways of schemes to play. In SHL I saw how some teams create opportunity for making open shot without pressure when entering offensive zone 4 on 3.

And pandemic and cold war 2.0 broke the chance to see great tournament where all teams could have good rosters. Its not a problem that Russians(because popularity of sport) or Finns(because of population) have weaker rosters. Its condition. And its very interesting to see how different countries are trying to win by their method, in the same time using some part of opponents expirience.

Have you seen old Soviet games? I'd recommend you to watch CSKA - Edmonton in 1986, if my memory serves me well. I mean, Edmonton had big problems to leave its own zone the whole game, and they had Gretzky on the roster. Forechecking was always one of the corner stones of the Soviet hockey system. It's just we've forgotten about this a little bit.

Last edited:

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Beautiful goal of Michkov

S6bjy.gif

Great playmaking & assist of Matvei

S6bFr.gif

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
The flyers could sign Artur Tyanulin. Him and Michkov are already boys from being linemates last season too. They were joshing around with each other in the preseason, now linemates again this year. Tyanulin isn't a star or anything, but I think he is likely good enough to not hurt your nhl team. If Michkov wanted it, I'd throw Tyanulin cheap contract to be Michkovs russian buddy in America
Tyanulin is not an NHL level player, and Flyers would be wisr tonfind an actual NHLer to play with Michkov.
Tyanulin played in Germany recently and was nothing special

But for the Flyers to draft Russians and sign them they should have to pay a Transfer Fee like 5-6 Million for first rounders,3.5-5 M for 2nd rounders,1.5-3 M for 3rd and all the way down to 1 M for the rest 4th-7th Rounders and Free Agents
But for swedes, finns or czechs they can pay 200k right?

1m for free agent is esp interesting. To whom? His parents?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Tyanulin is not an NHL level player, and Flyers would be wisr tonfind an actual NHLer to play with Michkov.

Tyanulin isn't top6 NHL player, he can be a solid 3rd liner though. He's fast and great skater overall, kills penalties, and has grittiness in his game. And skill of course. He would be a star in the SHL...

Reactions: MrGuyPerson

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Tyanulin isn't top6 NHL player, he can be a solid 3rd liner though. He's fast and great skater overall, kills penalties, and has grittiness in his game. And skill of course. He would be a star in the SHL...

Tyanulin is one of those rare examples of russian players who played in Europe. He wasnt a star in DEL. He is a good player on a bad team.
There are much better russians who failed in NHL.
As for SHL, you are just dismissive.
Are Borna Rendulic and Michal Kristof stars in SHL, or 3rd liners in NHL?

Rendulic is a good player and was so in SHL, but wouldnt call him a star

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
3 points today against his former team ))
Not former

Russian players are far better at passing the puck than North Americans(Canadians and Americans) and are a lot more imaginative with their plays and set ups and having the D-man come in as the trailer to the play
Kinda sounds like you were cryoginized in the 80s and defrost recently

• Haha
Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

But for swedes, finns or czechs they can pay 200k right?

1m for free agent is esp interesting. To whom? His parents?
To the governing body who foots the bill to find and develop players...Hockey is a costly sport!As for the amount the NHL pays the Swedes,Finns and Czechs its a ripoff really and 200 G's doesn't buy a whole lot these days

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Tyanulin is one of those rare examples of russian players who played in Europe. He wasnt a star in DEL. He is a good player on a bad team.
There are much better russians who failed in NHL.
As for SHL, you are just dismissive.
Are Borna Rendulic and Michal Kristof stars in SHL, or 3rd liners in NHL?

Rendulic is a good player and was so in SHL, but wouldnt call him a star

Tyanulin was a PPG player in DEL, and he's been steadily improving since then. He has 10 points in the last 8 games and 27 points in the last 25 KHL games, he'd be a star in the SHL for sure.

As to Rendulic, he was the best scorer on his team in his only SHL season and was top15 scorer in the league, not bad I'd say. He's hot right now, but not sure he'll continue his scoring feats. And Kristof is what he is. They've found chemistry on their line, but I doubt he'll be much better than he was in the previous season if better at all. He's not as good as Tyanulin like at all.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
tyanulin greatly benefits from playing with michkov. take michkov away and his ppg will again hover around 0.5. he is too small and soft and doesn't excel at anything to play in the nhl. it'll be a disservice to michkov to burden him with tyanulin in the nhl only because they had chemistry in sochi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad