RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
A better prospect than the unanimous number 1 pick that became the greatest goal scorer in NHL history, but said current prospect won't even go Top 5? lol, seems extreme. Every year people go a bit extreme with the hyperbole on the current wave of prospects...

It's not hyperbole to say that Michkov and Bedard have nearly unprecedented production and performance for their age group.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I'm not the biggest PPG nut, but by this metric Michkov finishes the season top-10 in the KHL among skaters aged under 27.

- 9th among U27 skaters
- 7th among U26 skaters
- 5th among U25 skaters
- 4th among U24 skaters
- 2nd among U23 skaters

(/ george leafer mode)

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
A better prospect than the unanimous number 1 pick that became the greatest goal scorer in NHL history, but said current prospect won't even go Top 5? lol, seems extreme. Every year people go a bit extreme with the hyperbole on the current wave of prospects...
Right because they knew how Ovechkin’s career was going to turn out before the draft
How can you not understand this concept LMFAO

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
6" 3' 245ish with speed, hands, and the best shot in the modern era, yes he's a genetic freak

No one's disagreeing with this, bud.

It's pretty safe to say that any prospect with generational abilities and production is some sort of genetic freak. True for Ovechkin, true for Crosby, true for the aforementioned two guys in this draft.

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
No one's disagreeing with this, bud.

It's pretty safe to say that any prospect with generational abilities and production is some sort of genetic freak. True for Ovechkin, true for Crosby, true for the aforementioned two guys in this draft.
like talking to a wall, have a good juan, fantomas

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
When is his next MHL game?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I wonder what his MHL numbers will be, it might not even be fair for his opponents there

Actually MHL playoffs (or play-in as in this certain case) can be pretty intensive and tough. Of course technically he should destroy any opposition, but MHLers are good enough to beat them all alone, his team has to be good too. Kapitan is a solid team for the play-in round, but not sure whether it is good enough to beat best teams even with Michkov's help.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm more interested if he falls past 5th which would be extremely unwarranted and a huge boost to whatever team gets him lower than 5th.

The 2 teams getting him and Bedard out this draft are going to be in great hands.

Reactions: Wats

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'm more interested if he falls past 5th which would be extremely unwarranted and a huge boost to whatever team gets him lower than 5th.

The 2 teams getting him and Bedard out this draft are going to be in great hands.
I think his "floor" is 5. I was talking to my die-hard Hawk friend fans and most people were thinking you draft him at 3, but definitely by 5 at the very worst.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I think his "floor" is 5. I was talking to my die-hard Hawk friend fans and most people were thinking you draft him at 3, but definitely by 5 at the very worst.
Yep. Don’t think he’ll get past the Hawks.

We’re literally in year one of a multi year rebuild. We can wait if this kids gonna be a star.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I thought he looked pretty good today. He just seems more confident. His production at every level is impressive and he’s still not very physically mature. I think he’s just scratching the surface.

People have been impressed with Leo Carlsson’s stats in a pro league. But, Michkov now has slightly better production in the KHL as Leo has in the SHL. Carlsson is also 6’3” and way more physically mature than Michkov.

For people that haven’t seen Michkov, he really looks like a child compared to the grown men he faces. That’s what makes his production impressive to me. The KHL is not an easy league for young smaller players. That’s why Panarin, Kucherov, Kaprizov, and Gusev all fell further than they should’ve in the draft (or went undrafted like Panarin). It’s very difficult to look good as a young undersized forward. Michkov’s production is truly great.

You cant compare Michkovs production in Sochi to Carlssons production for Orebro. 2 very different situations. Its like comparing international production of lets say Crosby and Kopitar

Also, no Carlsson is not more mature physically than Michkov. He is just bigger and taller. He is actually less mature, still learning how to control his body, since he had rapid growth lately. while Michkov is roughly the same size as he was 2 years ago

You can say that Carlsson is better suited for mens hockey due to his size but it is entirely different story, its his natural advantage

You can’t seriously think Fantilli has borderline generational hype with his mediocre performances at WJC and WJC U18. Both him and Carlsson are projected to be good 1C players at best while Michkov could be a generational winger
Is MacKinnon generational?

Reactions: majormajor

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He played at 238 majority of his career, just like Jagr now is like 260 but majority of career he was 235-250
Furthermore young agile and shifty Ovechkin wasn't much over 200. He added weight when he was losing a step anyway, maybe slightly prematurely.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Both of these players have eclipsed 40 goals and 100 points, but they are not franchise players.. Stop with the "they weren't high picks" argument. They always produced elite stats their whole careers, and their success is no surprise to those who followed them.
Every time a non hyped russian becomes good-its NHL bad at scouting
Every time hyped one busts-NHL bad at scouting

Convinient

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad