RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
To bring this thread back on topic, there are certain people who are trying to denigrate Michkov's accomplishments by saying that he's too small, too weak and now this most recent gem that he's not a "genetic freak" like Ovechkin.

But as I've pointed out, smaller guys are also often genetic freaks in their own ways and there's nothing about Michkov's build that suggests he's not perfectly suited for the NHL.

It's actually extra impressive that Michkov is doing special things at every level (and is now battle tested in the pros on top of everything) despite having so much room to still grow and fill out. He'll continue to improve by leaps and bounds.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Also, no Carlsson is not more mature physically than Michkov. He is just bigger and taller. He is actually less mature, still learning how to control his body, since he had rapid growth lately. while Michkov is roughly the same size as he was 2 years ago
that's why he was so pedestrian at the wjc playing against kids too times smaller than him - growth spurt?

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Even in 2023.
Actually if we look in terms of the quantity then it might be more back then (players from Belarus and Kazakhstan were also considered as foreigners back then), but as I already mentioned the level of those left much to be desired just because there weren't much money to pay to get quality players.

Reactions: Wats

olgerd

Oct 19, 2021
Chicago isn't drafting Michkov. I have nothing to worry about.
Information has recently appeared in the Russian sportmedia that Chicago, Anaheim and San Jose are showing the most active interest in Michkov.

Apparently you have little idea of the plans of the Blackhawks management. It would be fun to see your reaction if THAT happens.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Information has recently appeared in the Russian sportmedia that Chicago, Anaheim and San Jose are showing the most active interest in Michkov.

Apparently you have little idea of the plans of the Blackhawks management. It would be fun to see your reaction if THAT happens.
Chicago is drafting top 3, and Michkov isn't a top 3 prospect.

Nothing to worry about.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
As a Chicago fan, I would be happy with Michkov. I feel like the Hawks can most afford to "redshirt" him while he develops in Russia because the Hawks window is so far out after the Dach/Debrincat trades. I'd be surprised if anybody on the roster is around the next time the Hawks have a remotely "competitive" team. Tanking the next two seasons and continuing to collect top draft picks seems like a good move. Then Michkov can join the other top draft picks a few years down the line.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
As a Chicago fan, I would be happy with Michkov. I feel like the Hawks can most afford to "redshirt" him while he develops in Russia because the Hawks window is so far out after the Dach/Debrincat trades. I'd be surprised if anybody on the roster is around the next time the Hawks have a remotely "competitive" team. Tanking the next two seasons and continuing to collect top draft picks seems like a good move. Then Michkov can join the other top draft picks a few years down the line.

Michkov and Demidov could be interesting together...

Reactions: Guadana

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
for some reason, Russian guys tend to get held accountable for other Russian guys busting a lot. Some of the guys in my Hawk friend group are like "yeah, idk.. but they said Yakupov was gonna be good too and we saw how that went"

Like, lol, what? One guy from a country of 147 million people and that extends 6,600,00 square miles didn't work out, and so now you're scared of a different guy from that giant block of land also not working out? lol

That'd be like saying "yeah, idk about drafting a QB, a different QB didn't work out once, so it's probably safer to just pass"

It's just such a silly fallacy. Every player is unique. There are great picks and terrible busts from every nationality.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
As for now Chicago are 3rd and if that stays that way in the worst case scenario of the lottery they can be selecting even at 5th.
Nobody is out tanking Chicago post-deadline.

They've gutted the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad