RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
This is a beyond ridiculous post.

Neither of them were generational prospects at 18y.
They developed later into franchise player but they were never generational prospects pre draft
You are so caught up in draft position and titles. I don't care if you consider him "generational" or not. The fact is that he is out-producing a large group of players who turned out to be franchise cornerstones. That is a reason for hockey fans to be excited.

Side note: Quit with the insulting tone of your posts. You are either trolling or just being rude.

Reactions: 74 others

Mr Buckles

Jun 6, 2018
#2 on my board, I am a big believer.
W1siZiIsInB1YmxpYy8yMDIyLzExLzQvMTEvNDMvNDkvMTMxL0knbSBBIEJlbGllYmVyIEZCLmpwZyJdXQ.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yevgeni Kuznetsov in his draft season: 2+6 in 35 games.
Kirill Kaprizov in his draft season: 4+4 in 31 games.
Matvei Michkov in his draft season: 8+6 in 24 games, and it's still 3 games to play on the home ice where he usually plays better.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Matvei Michkov in his draft season: 8+6 in 24 games, and it's still 3 games to play on the home ice where he usually plays better.
He’s having a very impressive draft year, no doubt. With that being said, he did play 3 KHL games for SKA, with no points, so it’s really 14 points in 27 games, not 24.

Tarasenko had the most similar KHL draft year scoring wise, among semi-recent picks - 24 points in 42 games, nearly identical rate to Michkov (0.57 PPG for Tarasenko, so far Michkov is at 0.52 PPG).

Tarasenko should've gone way higher than he did, even on draft day most ppl agreed he was a top 3 talent in the draft (alongside Taylor/Tyler), but he slipped all the way to 16 because “Russian factor.” That was a mistake, and it’d a similar mistake to let Michkov slide any lower than 4th.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He’s having a very impressive draft year, no doubt. With that being said, he did play 3 KHL games for SKA, with no points, so it’s really 14 points in 27 games, not 24.

Tarasenko had the most similar KHL draft year scoring wise, among semi-recent picks - 24 points in 42 games, nearly identical rate to Michkov (0.57 PPG for Tarasenko, so far Michkov is at 0.52 PPG).

Tarasenko should've gone way higher than he did, even on draft day most ppl agreed he was a top 3 talent in the draft (alongside Taylor/Tyler), but he slipped all the way to 16 because “Russian factor.” That was a mistake, and it’d a similar mistake to let Michkov slide any lower than 4th.

He played 3 min averagely in SKA games, Rotenberg said something like "he isn't ready for the KHL action". Then he was loaned to Sochi and showed was he ready or not. And if you're a scout you'll obviously not count those SKA games...

Reactions: bsu and Realgud

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He played 3 min averagely in SKA games, Rotenberg said something like "he isn't ready for the KHL action". Then he was loaned to Sochi and showed was he ready or not...

I'm fine with excluding low minutes games from the sample, but you'd have to go back and do that for everyone. It seems that Michkov has fewer low minutes games than previous top prospects.

Anyways I'm sick of the stats watching arguments. There's no point in it.

Reactions: Czechboy

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
I bet they would win at least something here though:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
As I said, not a single sane scout will count those SKA games.
Agreed - stats aren’t everything either - the amount of quality chances he has been able to create since arriving in Sochi is astounding.

With a little more puck luck, and more competent teammates, his statline could be even more impressive than it is now.

Reactions: Realgud

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
As I said, not a single sane scout will count those SKA games.

You'd think from reading this thread that scouts are employed to count points per game averages.

My point was if you're going to say that Michkov has a higher points per game than player x, and exclude Michkov's three minute games, then you should also exclude those low minute games for player x. It's normal for 18 year olds in the KHL to play erratic minutes. Folks are talking like it's unique to Michkov when if anything he's playing significantly more minutes than the others.

These points-based arguments are not how Michkov is going to be evaluated by NHL scouts so I don't know why we spend so much time talking about it.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
and more competent teammates, his statline could be even more impressive than it is now.
He had much more competent teammates in SKA and got 3 minutes a game.

Do you think he'd get more minutes with SKA today if he were returned? I should note, I think he's great and that is a serious question. I think he'd be back to 3 to 5 minutes a game and healthy scratch territory.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Do you think he'd get more minutes with SKA today if he were returned? I should note, I think he's great and that is a serious question. I think he'd be back to 3 to 5 minutes a game and healthy scratch territory.

Lol, didn't NA fans whine that Shane Wright played less than 10 min/game on Seattle? It was still a few times more than Michkov had on SKA.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He played 3 min averagely in SKA games, Rotenberg said something like "he isn't ready for the KHL action". Then he was loaned to Sochi and showed was he ready or not. And if you're a scout you'll obviously not count those SKA games...
I was responding to your post where you were comparing Michkov’s draft year scoring numbers to Kuzie and Kaprizov’s. They had low minute games too, basically every draft year KHL player does, but you didn’t exclude their low minute games, only Michkov’s.

For example, Kuzie: https://en.khl.ru/players/15306/

In his draft year he had games with 2:45, 3:44, 4:39, 4:46, 5:41, 6:41, 6:44, 6:57, etc. If you’re going to compare scoring numbers between two players, make an apples to apples comparison - all the games for both players, or exclude the low minutes games for both players, but don’t exclude the low minutes games just from Michkov.

Anyways, Michkov is having an excellent draft year, the best for a KHL forward since Tarasenko, and I think he’s an even better/higher upside prospect than Tarasenko. Tarasenko was more NHL ready, strong as a bull with a more North/South, quick touches game, but I prefer Michkov’s upside with his elite hockey IQ and elusiveness, and he’ll bulk up over time. I’m a big Michkov fan, just pointing out that you shouldn’t selectively ignore his low minutes games while counting them for others, low minute games are a fact of life for most young KHLers.

olgerd

Oct 19, 2021

It is worth noting that SKA is possibly the strongest team in the world outside the NHL. Marchenko for example did not have a stable place in this team last season, and now he is one of the best players in the NHL team.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I was responding to your post where you were comparing Michkov’s draft year scoring numbers to Kuzie and Kaprizov’s. They had low minute games too, basically every draft year KHL player does, but you didn’t exclude their low minute games, only Michkov’s.

For example, Kuzie: Kuznetsov Evgeny:Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

In his draft year he had games with 2:45, 3:44, 4:39, 4:46, 5:41, 6:41, 6:44, 6:57, etc. If you’re going to compare scoring numbers between two players, make an apples to apples comparison - all the games for both players, or exclude the low minutes games for both players, but don’t exclude the low minutes games just from Michkov.

Anyways, Michkov is having an excellent draft year, the best for a KHL forward since Tarasenko, and I think he’s an even better/higher upside prospect than Tarasenko. Tarasenko was more NHL ready, strong as a bull with a more North/South, quick touches game, but I prefer Michkov’s upside with his elite hockey IQ and elusiveness, and he’ll bulk up over time. I’m a big Michkov fan, just pointing out that you shouldn’t selectively ignore his low minutes games while counting them for others, low minute games are a fact of life for most young KHLers.

Kuznetsov still had average TOI above 10 min on Traktor, while Michkov had 3:11 min on SKA. And I exclude not his low TOI games, I exclude all his SKA games, they all were meaningless. He didn't have any place and role on the team and played meaningless minutes.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
There are players qualities that really hard to scout. One of them is IQ. Most kids usually play vs their peers, and what looks like smart plays on junior level isn't always that smart on pro level. But it's still very tough task to understand what smartness will transfer to the NHL level very well, what not that well and what not transfer like at all.

Michkov isn't big (he's small actually), Michkov isn't fast and he still scores more goals and points than any Russian prospects before him. But it looks like people still don't understand why. I see a lot of people talk about his weaknesses, fear that those weaknesses will be exposed at the NHL level, but don't understand why he scores so many goals on every level he's played.

I still think his IQ is underrated. We saw players who had very successful NHL careers just because they were really smart. They weren't big, they couldn't skate, their shots weren't the hardest ever and they still scored tons of goals and points.

IQ isn't the only great part of Michkov's talent. His hands are magic, his edge work is already one of the best in hockey, his shot is very dangerous, his release is really fast. And he's still the smartest kid on the draft. I'm pretty sure NA fans and experts will be really surprised by his play in the NHL...

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
There are players qualities that really hard to scout. One of them is IQ. Most kids usually play vs their peers, and what looks like smart plays on junior level isn't always that smart on pro level. But it's still very tough task to understand what smartness will transfer to the NHL level very well, what not that well and what not transfer like at all.
I tend to define Hockey IQ as effectiveness meaning roughly this:

Amount of things you try(hits, pokes, passes, shots etc) vs amount of things you complete succesfully. Extra points if your tries result in high danger chances or defuse high danger chances.

This ain't perfect but atleast gives an idea if guy is trying too much or too difficult things rather than just going for safe plays.

This is where Michkov tends to work rather well most of the time meaning he is pretty succesfull at his attempts and they create dangerous chances too.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The game vs SKA was the whole lot of a clownery. So Sochi was ahead 5-2 in the 3rd with 10 min left, and SKA started to play 6 vs 5 at the middle of the period. And of course they tied the game because Sochi was 23/68 on the dot. And then SKA won the game in OT.

Sochi just can't face-offs. It's another problem for Michkov, his line always starts without the puck because their center can't win faceoffs to safe his life.

Still very good game for Matvei again. He scored a point and made tons of great plays and passes.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Are you even serious at this point?

Kaprizov was a 5th round pick, Kucherov a late 2nd.
Neither of them were McDavids on draft day, what Michkov is here seen.

That statline is for pre draft prospects.
& so far KHL has had zero franchise prospects playing in it pre Michkov
Nhl has zero franchise prospects playing in it pre anybody else.

Guy, you are funny.

Reactions: BMann

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad