RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
It's those missing 160 to 240 NHL games that can hurt the development. The travel, the league, the refs, the culture, the language are all different in the NHL.

How many games do you think (assuming no injuries) his only equal, Bedard, will have by 2026? You don't think that gives him an advantage? Most 1OV forwards go to the NHL pretty quick. I think all those guys in the image were in the NHL by Halloween.

Put another way.. let's say everything is normal. Michkov goes 1OV or 2OV.. do you think that GM is sending him to Sochi/SKA for his D + 1? I doubt it. Obviously, just speculating but it's not something I've seen before.
View attachment 651186
I`m not saying that he should be drafted over Bedard. But when we talk about level of talent, it`s ok to wait. I`m talking about drafting him 2nd or 3rd or 4th overall. I as gm would prefer to judge by level of potential, without count his 3 years deal. Because Bedard is on the same level of talent or higher. Fantilli and Carlsson - much more questionable and in their case I should ask scouts, not managers.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Not a bad game from him again today, but it's clear that playing for Sochi won't allow him to showcase his true skill.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Not a bad game from him again today, but it's clear that playing for Sochi won't allow him to showcase his true skill.
Nah, the team allows him to showcase it all right. Feeding him constantly on the pp and watching him pepper a goalie with low-chance shots is not the smartest way to go about it, though, both for the team and the player.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Nah, the team allows him to showcase it all right. Feeding him constantly on the pp and watching him pepper a goalie with low-chance shots is not the smartest way to go about it, though, both for the team and the player.
I'm aware that for a 18-year old he receives far more ice-time than most would in the KHL. What I meant by my comment was that his teammates aren't the best finishers, to say the least, and that has an impact on his production.

Maybe ''showcasing'' wasn't the right word. His production will go up drastically once he's paired with a better supporting cast, especially with his playstyle. Many times he's made incredible passes to set-up other players and they've failed to capitalize.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If you look at Michkov's production against top teams in the league, he only has 3 point. The rest come from scoring against garbage teams.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
If you look at Michkov's production against top teams in the league, he only has 3 point. The rest come from scoring against garbage teams.
Maybe lets break it down a bit:

1G against Ak Bars - top team
1G against Dynamo Moscow - might be not a top team in the usual meaning of it, but is very strong and competitive for sure
1G+1A against SKA - top team
1G+1A against Vityaz - not a top team, but comfortably made the playoffs, so not a garbage too imo
1A against Metallurg - top team
2G+1A against Spartak - not a garbage team on paper, but playing poorly this season, so kind of can agree
1G+2A against Kunlun - they are a weak team for sure

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Maybe lets break it down a bit:

1G against Ak Bars - top team
1G against Dynamo Moscow - might be not a top team in the usual meaning of it, but is very strong and competitive for sure
1G+1A against SKA - top team
1G+1A against Vityaz - not a top team, but comfortably made the playoffs, so not a garbage too imo
1A against Metallurg - top team
2G+1A against Spartak - not a garbage team on paper, but playing poorly this season, so kind of can agree
1G+2A against Kunlun - they are a weak team for sure
Okay so 4 points

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Just as many goals as Kaprizov or Kuznetsov had points in their draft years.

When Sochi is done... I think it sounds like soon... what is he doing next? Dryland training? Lower league as a ringer? Back to SKA?

Funny as Bedard sounds like his season is over soon too... his team might not make playoffs. Imagine both these guys just sitting around in April doing pullups.lol

Reactions: Guadana

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
When Sochi is done... I think it sounds like soon... what is he doing next? Dryland training? Lower league as a ringer? Back to SKA?

Funny as Bedard sounds like his season is over soon too... his team might not make playoffs. Imagine both these guys just sitting around in April doing pullups.lol

Will probably play in the MHL playoffs for Sochi's affiliate team.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Right now in the KHL Michkov struggles with getting free of defensive coverage because of how poor his team is, how simple it is to just shadow him/limit his options offensively/dominate possession against Sochi, which results in completely neutering his team/shuts him down.

And that situation, combined with Michkov's inexperience at the senior level, russian-style coaching philosophies (veteran-heavy), and Michkov's own personal flaws as a prospect playing in a very high-level league, leads to him not having great offensive options to choose from offensively and thus to taking what's available to him; a lot of useless shots from the perimeter.

As a prospect, Michkov has flaws. It's undeniably true. And the somewhat recent "souring" on him of certain pro or amateur scouts (Will Scouching comes to mind first but there are others) has "some" grounds given his showing and sometimes lack of creativity in favor of pure sniping at Sochi, nevermind the production.

Except that those concerns are in my opinion way overblown.

In my view, aside from a general lack of defensive ability/acumen, a lack of size/strength, some cherry-picking offensively, a lack of truly elite skating ability that would alleviate concerns over his stature, and a bit of an entitled/bratty attitude on the ice at times, the flaws that Michkov exhibits are very easily fixable and there is not a lot of risk involved with him as far as being a good producer in the NHL goes (though becoming a "great" producer is something else entirely and will require ++ work ethic/dedication/abnegation).

To be sure, Michkov needs to get stronger, improve his balance, stick position, technique and angling of opponents when battling along the boards, and he needs to learn to make more incisive/quicker decisions with the puck/gaining confidence against pros. But those are some easy/quick adjustments to make, which most prospects end up making as they round-out their game.

And if Michkov just does his due diligences as far as practicing skating, watching videos and putting in the work in the gym go, just keeps building on his frankly jaw-dropping skillset/hockey IQ in the offensive zone, on the half-wall on the PP and as a conduit for transition, then he'll be set for a at least a top-6 role at the NHL level. With his talent that's the bare minimum level he should realistically reach if he makes those adjustments.

And I think he's dynamic-enough offensively to potentially become a franchise-altering type of player ala Panarin/Kaprizov, possibly even of the HHOF-bound type like Ovechkin/Malkin/Kucherov if he hits his absolute ceiling, which could happen but is FAR from the likeliest outcome let us be clear.

For one, Michkov's shooting (motion, range, off-foot shooting, release, wrist shot, slap shot, one-timer, everything really) is absolutely elite, even by NHL standards. But his trip in Sochi and paltry minutes played with SKA have wrongfully given some people the impression that Michkov is some kind of pure sniper, one-dimensional finisher, which isn't true at all.

He is one of the best half-wall players I've ever seen since Backstrom on the powerplay as a prospect with the way he dissects defenses, how much of a virtuoso he is with the touch/accuracy/timing of his passes, his manipulation of defending sticks with fakes. Seriously, Michkov's creativity and puck distribution at the MHL/VHL level are actually just as impressive as his scoring prowess despite what his stats would indicate at a glance. And he was often the primary puck carrier/playmaker at those levels.

I did not manage to see that many games of his, but the ones I saw at those levels (mostly VHL) this year he was just shining out there. And he was just consistently dangerous as an all-around offensive threat on the ice. So much so that I'd say that I personally haven't yet seen a better draft-eligible prospect playing in those leagues.

And I say that while remembering Kucherov obliterating the MHL in his draft year, Miroschnichenko and Yurov looking amazing last year, and many more since I started really paying attention to prospects (about 2006/2007 or so).

Seriously, forget the russian factor and geopolitics and just draft Michkov. Bet on his supreme talent and intelligence on the ice, they don't come around that often.

Sure, there is some amount of risk involved, and your team will have to wait a little while before getting him, but if things go right then you laugh all the way to the bank as your team welcomes a great offensive player in its lineup (with 50 goals, 100+ pts/season potential) when Michkov does come over from Russia in 2026 or so.

As a bonus, because there is some uncertainty involving Russia then you could even potentially "steal" Michkov and get him much lower in the draft than his skillset would normally warrant in a more "standard" geopolitical context.

As a sidenote, Michkov would be my personal #2 at the draft after Bedard. But I can understand favoring Fantilli and Carlsson above him given that they are also awesome, will play a more important position at the NHL level, and would appear as "safer", more "politically-correct" choices for GMs given the situation with Russia/Ukraine.

I don't agree personally, but Fantilli and Carlsson above Michkov at the draft is a reasonable position to defend. Any lower than that though, and it starts getting silly with the crazy potential that this kid has.

Unfortunately I think that this relative "devaluation" of russian prospects will be widespread this year and I suspect that the same inane babble used to argue not taking Michkov after the 4th spot will also negatively impact the ranking of Gulyayev and Simashev (among others still), who should both be top 20 picks (personally think Gulyayev should be top 10/12) but probably will only get drafted in the late first-round. Perhaps even lower if they are unlucky/teams get stubborn, and risk-averse.

Anyways, that's enough ranting/propping up Michkov's tires for one day. Any more than this and they will be propped so high they will levitate and he won't be able to drive. Cheers and have a good day.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad