RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
How far does Michkov fall? I’m guessing he’s picked 6-10. And the team who gets him is going to be getting a great player coming in on an ELC in 3 years.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
If Bedard ends up anything other than Crosby its a disapointment too. I'm not sure what your point is.

And you say no GM takes Michkov over Matthews?
The NL (NLA) had MUCH less talent in 2016.
I just looked up Russia, Sweden and Finlands Euro Tour rosters for 2016. Combined you can count the NLA players on one hand.
Please tell, who exactly were the elite level players Matthews was outscoring?
Elite Prospects - National League A (NLA)

Considering how he looks in Sochi, Michkov would very likely be leading the NLA circa 2016 in points.
As a sidenote: NLA has really improved in top end player quality.

For both of you.. I'm disapointed no one has not brought out the NHLE calculator!

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
We saw Matthews vs Laine for 2016 draft.

Michkov can do nothing in his draft year to have a better draft year than Laine.
Laine also hold massive size advantage over Michkov.

McDavid was seen as a generational prospect.
If he ended up as top5/10 it would have been a letdown.

Bedard is seen as a generational prospect.
If he ends up as a top 5/10 player it would be a letdown based on the hype

What elite play?
Do you think Matthews made the World Cup and WC rosters by luck?
He was a top5 player in NLA and showed his game at a high level at the WC& World Cup as well.

Better numbers (better year) ≠ better prospect,. More NHL ready ≠ better prospect,
How many times do we have to go through this?
-Hockey leagues are not equal.
-Usage is not equal
-Opportunity to make national teams is not equal.

Your argument is akin to claiming the Negro League greats were not on par with MLB's.
In the real world we judge players within the confines of their individual situation, then make a projection from that.
We don't draft players based on generalities

For example, the ONLY reason Matthews made the World Cup is because of the format. He was a prime candidate for team North America. Michkov would undoubtely make a European equivalent in the same scenario (had be been under NHL contract). The entire schtick was about marketing.
But, hey, why let facts get in the way?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I am disappointed too about His production No doubt about that. But He is still a very good Player and very very Talented.
I was surprised he hasn't a .ppg season yet. I watch Canes games sometimes (Necas) and everytime I see him I think he's just amazing and dominating. His shot release is one of my favs in the NHL. It's a great team and they spread the puck around so maybe that is it. Great player for sure.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
As a sidenote: NLA has really improved in top end player quality.

For both of you.. I'm disapointed no one has not brought out the NHLE calculator!

Yep. But that was sort of the point. Comparing the NLA is 2016 to todays KHL; and Michkov to Matthews' performance in each is rather foolish.
They are very different scenarios.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Yep. But that was sort of the point. Comparing the NLA is 2016 to todays KHL; and Michkov to Matthews' performance in each is rather foolish.
They are very different scenarios.
Totally agree... but was surprised that NHLe calculator hadn't been brought up yet.

It went from Michkov vs Bedard to Michkov vs Matthews.. Michkov is keeping damn good company!

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Totally agree... but was surprised that NHLe calculator hadn't been brought up yet.

It went from Michkov vs Bedard to Michkov vs Matthews.. Michkov is keeping damn good company!

Nah. Only one dude is comparing him to Matthews. Hence the mountain of pushback.

Seems like most people consider Michkov at least in the conversation with Bedard, but with many, many more question marks. Many of which has no control over.
A potential generational wildcard is an apt description for Michkov.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
This is getting a little derailed here. BB88 is a solid poster and has some valid questions. I watched the U-18 that Matvei and Bedard went head to head along with the Hlinka Gretzky after that which Canada was not part of. Michkov was the best player there NOT named Bedard and both were underagers, he was better than Shane Wright. Screw the points, I watched every game in both those tournaments and Michkov was terrific.

He kind of plays like his hair is on fire but has control. He can score from near impossible angles and has great net sense - always knowing where he can capitalize and doesn't even need to be looking at the goal to put it in a spot where the goalie has to make a save. I don't know if his shot is Elite but he gets it there quick with accuracy. He's a kid that can will his team to win and I don't care that he's smaller than Carlsson or Fantilli he elevates the entire team and creates plays all over the ice. Against Canada he was one of the main play drivers when they needed a goal and became the go to guy on his team. He's not afraid to try things either.

I believe that if Russia was able to play in the Hlinka last August, WJC this Christmas and the upcoming April U-18 he'd be no lower than 3 on anyone's board. But most people aren't watching these tournaments to get their own eye test. I firmly believe you need to to see these kids play full games and see at least 7 of them to get at least a decent assessment.

** I haven't seen him play full games this year because I don't know how to watch KHL and don't trust site_name anymore with all the pop-ups. ** But I'm telling you based on about 20+ games from the last two years only 1 player was better than him in his peer group. However, Fantilli & Carlsson are valid for being in the conversation, just shows how deep the top of the draft is - hell even the first half of round 1

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
This is getting a little derailed here. BB88 is a solid poster and has some valid questions. I watched the U-18 that Matvei and Bedard went head to head along with the Hlinka Gretzky after that which Canada was not part of. Michkov was the best player there NOT named Bedard and both were underagers, he was better than Shane Wright. Screw the points, I watched every game in both those tournaments and Michkov was terrific.

He kind of plays like his hair is on fire but has control. He can score from near impossible angles and has great net sense - always knowing where he can capitalize and doesn't even need to be looking at the goal to put it in a spot where the goalie has to make a save. I don't know if his shot is Elite but he gets it there quick with accuracy. He's a kid that can will his team to win and I don't care that he's smaller than Carlsson or Fantilli he elevates the entire team and creates plays all over the ice. Against Canada he was one of the main play drivers when they needed a goal and became the go to guy on his team. He's not afraid to try things either.

I believe that if Russia was able to play in the Hlinka last August, WJC this Christmas and the upcoming April U-18 he'd be no lower than 3 on anyone's board. But most people aren't watching these tournaments to get their own eye test. I firmly believe you need to to see these kids play full games and see at least 7 of them to get at least a decent assessment.

** I haven't seen him play full games this year because I don't know how to watch KHL and don't trust site_name anymore with all the pop-ups. ** But I'm telling you based on about 20+ games from the last two years only 1 player was better than him in his peer group. However, Fantilli & Carlsson are valid for being in the conversation, just shows how deep the top of the draft is - hell even the first half of round 1

He can't play U18 this April. He's already aged out as an '04 born player. This year's U18 team is for players born '05. You know, Bedard's YOB. But Bedard won't be playing U18 either, even though he may be available.

Reactions: NTDP

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
If Columbus ends up with the 4th overall and passes on Michkov, Jarmo should be fired on the spo

He can't play U18 this April. He's already aged out as an '04 born player. This year's U18 team is for players born '05. You know, Bedard's YOB. But Bedard won't be playing U18 either, even though he may be available.

Yes you're right forgot about the U-18 this year. Was moving to quick.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
How far does Michkov fall? I’m guessing he’s picked 6-10. And the team who gets him is going to be getting a great player coming in on an ELC in 3 years.

My guess is the consensus will be such that passing on Michkov at 4 will be a greater risk to your job than taking someone that contributes within 3 years anyway. Even the best prospects at 4-10 need 3+ years to become impact players regardless.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Better numbers (better year) ≠ better prospect,. More NHL ready ≠ better prospect,
How many times do we have to go through this?
-Hockey leagues are not equal.
-Usage is not equal
-Opportunity to make national teams is not equal.

Your argument is akin to claiming the Negro League greats were not on par with MLB's.
In the real world we judge players within the confines of their individual situation, then make a projection from that.
We don't draft players based on generalities

For example, the ONLY reason Matthews made the World Cup is because of the format. He was a prime candidate for team North America. Michkov would undoubtely make a European equivalent in the same scenario (had be been under NHL contract). The entire schtick was about marketing.
But, hey, why let facts get in the way?

That NA roster was made from NHL players entirely.
Not a damm chance Michkov makes that same lineup.

KHL is also worse than it has been for years and you know the reason why.

Matthews was top5 player in NLA, top5 player in NLA doesn’t equal to top75 player in the NHl get out of here.
& because you think it does good thing we saw Matthews at the WC and keep producing as his NLA play suggested.
& when that isn’g enough to show he was elite he was picked to World Cup roster made from NHL players.
He just got there because he was lucky.

People are here with a straight face suggesting Michkov will enter McDavids league and disaigreeing with that makes you a hater.
Cool story

& you understand the difference between potential and what someone is today?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BMann

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

You can watch ВХЛ games for free on youtube.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I doubt he falls past 4.
Could very well be. But will the bottom feeder teams picking top five be willing to wait three years for the their shiny new bauble? They might think Michkov is a great player, but believe another guy is going to be on their team a couple years sooner, tjat they can market.
I could see the Habs waiting and Vancouver too. They will sell tickets and have fan interest regardless. But the US teams (unless a team jumps up 10 spots) imo will pass on Michkov for marketing reasons.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Could very well be. But will the bottom feeder teams picking top five be willing to wait three years for the their shiny new bauble? They might think Michkov is a great player, but believe another guy is going to be on their team a couple years sooner, tjat they can market.
I could see the Habs waiting and Vancouver too. They will sell tickets and have fan interest regardless. But the US teams (unless a team jumps up 10 spots) imo will pass on Michkov for marketing reasons.
They will be stupid if they will not draft him because three years. Jack Hughes wasn`t good in his first year and second year wasn`t great. Byfield and Rossi(I know he isn`t top-3, but a lot of home scout-students liked him a lot) are not NHL players still. Lafrenier got a lot of criticism. Kakko, Dach wasnt good through all of his first three year. There are tonns of examples. 3 years is nothing. Great NHL players like Makar and Jack Hughes(again) started to make a huge impact only in their third year from draft. It`s much more improtant what you will have in the first 9-11 years of NHL career, 3 years is a good time for development.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

I think a rebuilding team like AZ or Chicago would be happy to draft him and stash him overseas while they continue to be terrible for a couple more years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad