Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Not Chicago. Mike Doneghey doesn't like Michkov.
Doesn't sound too negative to me:

We get a lot of Michkov because we have (scout) Anatoly Semenov, who lives right there in Russia. So he’s seen Michkov play a lot, both when he was with SKA and now when he’s with Sochi, so he’s kind of dialed in on him. And myself and the crossover guys and actually (associate general manager) Norm (Maciver) and (senior advisor) Brian Campbell, they watch a ton of video on Michkov because we want to stay as current on him as possible.

Source: https://theathletic.com/4111509/2023/01/21/chicago-blackhawks-connor-bedard-adam-fantilli

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Eliteprospect posts something about him, but it's behind paywall.

Michkovs play in the VHL had raised some red flags? Really? I believe he like many others has no clue about the VHL and how to compare Michkovs achievements there to other leagues.

No word about that this is Michkovs first season with the pros and that he maybe, like every other prospect, needed time to adjust.

No word about that he was out for two months before his first RS game.

And Michkov didn't improved out of nowhere his playmaking skills. They where always there.

Michkov's performances in the VHL were nothing short of impressive.

Not to say this is a bad read, but he IMHO overcomplicated some points and tried to much being "analytically"

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Michkovs play in the VHL had raised some red flags? Really? I believe he like many others has no clue about the VHL and how to compare Michkovs achievements there to other leagues.

No word about that this is Michkovs first season with the pros and that he maybe, like every other prospect, needed time to adjust.

No word about that he was out for two months before his first RS game.

And Michkov didn't improved out of nowhere his playmaking skills. They where always there.

Michkov's performances in the VHL were nothing short of impressive.

Not to say this is a bad read, but he IMHO overcomplicated some points and tried to much being "analytically"

Basically EP dropped him in the rankings a while ago because they felt compelled to do so - typically fashionable Russophobia coupled with premature excitement for new toys Fantilli and Carlsson - and are now twisting themselves into a pretzel to justify that convoluted decision. They're also not the only ones.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
It is negative.

Compare what he said about Michkov to what he said about Bedard, Fantilli, and Carlsson.

He gushed over those guys, then said nothing at all about Michkov.

As the old adage goes, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Which is what Donegney did.

And if you look at Doneghey's drafting history, it lines up. Michkov doesn't fit the mold of players that he likes.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
They will be stupid if they will not draft him because three years. Jack Hughes wasn`t good in his first year and second year wasn`t great. Byfield and Rossi(I know he isn`t top-3, but a lot of home scout-students liked him a lot) are not NHL players still. Lafrenier got a lot of criticism. Kakko, Dach wasnt good through all of his first three year. There are tonns of examples. 3 years is nothing. Great NHL players like Makar and Jack Hughes(again) started to make a huge impact only in their third year from draft. It`s much more improtant what you will have in the first 9-11 years of NHL career, 3 years is a good time for development.
I agree with the 'it takes 3 years' general argument.

BUT

Byfield was drafted, didn't takeoff but was in the NHL right away, LA could put him in the NHL. It didn't work out perfectly so they sent him to the AHL and to the World Jrs. They are controlling his development and have options.

Rossi got bad covid and that just took him out, had nothing to do with development. Awful luck.

Hughes was put in the NHL by his new team and learned the game there. He's now in Top 10 discussions (shame he got hurt) for forwards. 3rd year he took off and 4th year he went molten for awhile. But 1st and 2nd, NJ had him where they want him (in this case the NHL). He didn't just show up in year 3 and takeoff.. he had 100 games of NHL experience (travel, language, rink sizes, fans, refs etc) under his belt in his D + 3.

Makar is a D, totally different curve.

Dach was also controlled by the Hawks, they sent him to AHL. The second year they sent him to the World Jrs where he broke his wrist in a exhibition game against Russia and was our for 5 months. Bad luck just like Rossi.

Laf had about as much hype as Michkov does today IMO. I am included in the crowd that thought he'd be a supernova by now (I think Michkov will too)! I was wrong.lol Same story though, they drafted him and controlled where he went. Now imagine if the Rangers drafted Lafrenov and he stayed in the KHL and showed 3 years later looking like Lafreniere does?

In this case... Michkov cannot go to the AHL, he cannot go to the World Jrs, he cannot go to the Skoda Cup. I'm not 100 percent he can come to the draft and take a photo? I'm fairly certain he can't do the interviews or draft combine (maybe on zoom?). You draft him and hope he comes over from the KHL and immediately takes off like a Kaprizov or Panaran. I don't think most NHL GMs are thinking 3 years down the road. I do agree that someone will get him and be happy for it.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
It is negative.

Compare what he said about Michkov to what he said about Bedard, Fantilli, and Carlsson.

As the old adage goes, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Which is what Donegney did.

And if you look at Doneghey's drafting history, it lines up. Michkov doesn't fit the mold of players that he likes.
I think you're reading a bit too much into all these phrases, that's just a simple diplomacy towards the fans. After all, if he is indeed not liking Michkov at all, it would be smarter to pretend it is not the case to potentially benefit from trading down.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
It is negative.

I think you're reading a bit too much into all these phrases, that's just a simple diplomacy towards the fans. After all, if he is indeed not liking Michkov at all, it would be smarter to pretend it is not the case to potentially benefit from trading down.

This Kevin Musto poster is projecting something that isn't there. The guy from Chicago said this:

“I think if you look at the four, if you go back two or three years, and we’re always looking at future drafts like you’re seeing on paper now over the next year or two, all four of them could be in to be number one every year,” Doneghey said. “It happens that all four are available just in one year. So they are all very good players based on their 16 and 17 year olds, comparable to other years’ drafts. Your projections are high-end players.”

The guy praises all 4, Michkov included.

Reactions: BMann

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
This Kevin Musto poster is projecting something that isn't there. The guy from Chicago said this:

“I think if you look at the four, if you go back two or three years, and we’re always looking at future drafts like you’re seeing on paper now over the next year or two, all four of them could be in to be number one every year,” Doneghey said. “It happens that all four are available just in one year. So they are all very good players based on their 16 and 17 year olds, comparable to other years’ drafts. Your projections are high-end players.”

The guy praises all 4, Michkov included.
That's referring to D-2 and D-1 years.

Which is when Michkov was given his "generational" status.

Now that it's the draft year, it's become abundantly clear he's not generational.

Happens all the time where prospects are prematurely hyped up and then they coast on their earlier accomplishments.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
That's referring to D-2 and D-1 years.

Which is when Michkov was given his "generational" status.

Now that it's the draft year, it's become abundantly clear he's not generational.

Happens all the time where prospects are prematurely hyped up and then they coast on their earlier accomplishments.

Nope. He's talking about tracking prospect's development over time, using D-1 and D-2 as a starting benchmark. He knew they all were gonna be great players based on D-1 and D-2 years. That goes without saying.

But if he was talking solely about D-1 and D-2, Fantilli and Carlson would not be in the discussion as "number one pick every year" players. They were never quite considered on that level a few years back. Especially Fantilli. His current year in the NCAA has elevated his stock immeasurably.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Michkov is a clear top 3 guy for me in this draft. I go back and forth between him and Fantilli. I’d put the floor for Michkov at about 7th and the ceiling at 3.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Nope. He's talking about tracking prospect's development over time, using D-1 and D-2 as a starting benchmark. He knew they all were gonna be great players based on D-1 and D-2 years. That goes without saying.

But if he was talking solely about D-1 and D-2, Fantilli and Carlson would not be in the discussion as "number one pick every year" players. They were never quite considered on that level a few years back. Especially Fantilli. His current year in the NCAA has elevated his stock immeasurably.
D-1 Fantilli was fantastic. You must have not seem him play. He torched the USHL and at the time looked like he'd be in contention for going 1st overall.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I agree with the 'it takes 3 years' general argument.

BUT

Byfield was drafted, didn't takeoff but was in the NHL right away, LA could put him in the NHL. It didn't work out perfectly so they sent him to the AHL and to the World Jrs. They are controlling his development and have options.

Rossi got bad covid and that just took him out, had nothing to do with development. Awful luck.

Hughes was put in the NHL by his new team and learned the game there. He's now in Top 10 discussions (shame he got hurt) for forwards. 3rd year he took off and 4th year he went molten for awhile. But 1st and 2nd, NJ had him where they want him (in this case the NHL). He didn't just show up in year 3 and takeoff.. he had 100 games of NHL experience (travel, language, rink sizes, fans, refs etc) under his belt in his D + 3.

Makar is a D, totally different curve.

Dach was also controlled by the Hawks, they sent him to AHL. The second year they sent him to the World Jrs where he broke his wrist in a exhibition game against Russia and was our for 5 months. Bad luck just like Rossi.

Laf had about as much hype as Michkov does today IMO. I am included in the crowd that thought he'd be a supernova by now (I think Michkov will too)! I was wrong.lol Same story though, they drafted him and controlled where he went. Now imagine if the Rangers drafted Lafrenov and he stayed in the KHL and showed 3 years later looking like Lafreniere does?

In this case... Michkov cannot go to the AHL, he cannot go to the World Jrs, he cannot go to the Skoda Cup. I'm not 100 percent he can come to the draft and take a photo? I'm fairly certain he can't do the interviews or draft combine (maybe on zoom?). You draft him and hope he comes over from the KHL and immediately takes off like a Kaprizov or Panaran. I don't think most NHL GMs are thinking 3 years down the road. I do agree that someone will get him and be happy for it.
Look at them, everybody have specific reasons, situatio, but in the end nhl teams don’t have nhl players who makes impact. Sometimes it’s three years. Michkov can play in KHL now. And it’s better than everywhere. Ofcourse it’s better to have an option to have him earlier, but it doesn’t change nothing in the end, because like I said, it’s much more important to have better first 9-10 years in nhl than first two three years after draft. It’s better to develop the player against better competition if he can. And if he can, nothing really worry about his lack of wj experienc. He played once before, he was quite good.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
D-1 Fantilli was fantastic. You must have not seem him play. He torched the USHL and at the time looked like he'd be in contention for going 1st overall.

All were fantastic. But D1-2 Fantilli and Carlsson were never considered good enough to be a number one pick for several years. Absolutely no for Carlsson.

There’s nothing to indicate Doneghey doesn't like Michkov…. other than misinterpretation and manufactured innuendo on the part of certain posters

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Look at them, everybody have specific reasons, situatio, but in the end nhl teams don’t have nhl players who makes impact. Sometimes it’s three years. Michkov can play in KHL now. And it’s better than everywhere. Ofcourse it’s better to have an option to have him earlier, but it doesn’t change nothing in the end, because like I said, it’s much more important to have better first 9-10 years in nhl than first two three years after draft. It’s better to develop the player against better competition if he can. And if he can, nothing really worry about his lack of wj experienc. He played once before, he was quite good.
It's those missing 160 to 240 NHL games that can hurt the development. The travel, the league, the refs, the culture, the language are all different in the NHL.

How many games do you think (assuming no injuries) his only equal, Bedard, will have by 2026? You don't think that gives him an advantage? Most 1OV forwards go to the NHL pretty quick. I think all those guys in the image were in the NHL by Halloween.

Put another way.. let's say everything is normal. Michkov goes 1OV or 2OV.. do you think that GM is sending him to Sochi/SKA for his D + 1? I doubt it. Obviously, just speculating but it's not something I've seen before.
1676558180373.png

Reactions: Guadana

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Basically EP dropped him in the rankings a while ago because they felt compelled to do so - typically fashionable Russophobia coupled with premature excitement for new toys Fantilli and Carlsson - and are now twisting themselves into a pretzel to justify that convoluted decision. They're also not the only ones.
Thank you for saying this - this is what many people know but are afraid to say because of the public backlash they will get. When enough mainstream scouting services all start following the same thing, many people just start to take it as truth and basically say "well yeah I guess Michkov isn't as good as we all thought anymore". This is more geared towards people that have him ranked outside the top 4 and as low as 10-11.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad