RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Only fools and water-carriers for the team did believe so; the rest of us were wailing and gnashing our teeth on passing over the best forward that the franchise would have had in three decades.
Habs painted themselves in a corner.. While Reinbacher doesn't need to be as good or as valuable as Michkov, they need to have him at least in the general vicinity as Michkov who is a superstar. I'm rooting for Reinbacher, but that's ridiculous pressure on a kid that is very very raw.

Reality is every day Sochi plays is a bad day for Habs fans. He ran circles around SKA that loaned him and was the best player on the ice. And the news will only get worse. If he continues in this trajectory, by December Habs fans should insist people get fired.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Habs painted themselves in a corner.. While Reinbacher doesn't need to be as good or as valuable as Michkov, they need to have him at least in the general vicinity as Michkov who is a superstar. I'm rooting for Reinbacher, but that's ridiculous pressure on a kid that is very very raw.

Reality is every day Sochi plays is a bad day for Habs fans. He ran circles around SKA that loaned him and was the best player on the ice. And the news will only get worse. If he continues in this trajectory, by December Habs fans should insist people get fired.

The Habs got themselves into this mess because MB was terrible at drafting/development so we'll see if the new management team is any good or not.

With Michkov the main question to me is can he produce in the NHL playoffs as he's not that quick or good in his own end, so until we see what he does in that situation it's going to be difficult to say who the Habs should have picked or not so I doubt anyone would be close to getting fired this soon.

I was shocked they picked Reinbacher, thought for sure they were going forward, though I felt they had hoped Will Smith would get past SJ and drop to them since Hughes knows him well. Once that didn't work out I think they looked to trade down but must have been asking too much so they went with more of a safe pick in that it's highly likely that at worst they get a bottom pairing RD as kids his size with his skill level that have good skating/speed/strength outside of injuries don't bust at as high a rate as others.

In the one game I saw this year Michkov did look good, so how much he can progress over these next few years, and another guy that many Hab fans wanted in Benson or Lenoard, if these forwards do well and Reinbacher is more a of a bottom pairing D then depending on what happens with Slaf, this management team could be in trouble.

I think they looked at Lane Hutson and said this guy could be someone to build the team around and Reinbacher could be a great partner for him while addressing a need. I'm honestly more worried about Slaf then I am Reinbacher but they went for size which we badly need with so many smallish prospects.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
With Michkov the main question to me is can he produce in the NHL playoffs as he's not that quick or good in his own end
These are talking points that really don't hold much water at all. As someone who meticulously watches every shift. He's quick as hell. When SKA asked him to play center in the preseason he was more than responsible enough. He's absolutely capable of being good in his own end

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The Habs got themselves into this mess because MB was terrible at drafting/development so we'll see if the new management team is any good or not.

With Michkov the main question to me is can he produce in the NHL playoffs as he's not that quick or good in his own end, so until we see what he does in that situation it's going to be difficult to say who the Habs should have picked or not so I doubt anyone would be close to getting fired this soon.

I was shocked they picked Reinbacher, thought for sure they were going forward, though I felt they had hoped Will Smith would get past SJ and drop to them since Hughes knows him well. Once that didn't work out I think they looked to trade down but must have been asking too much so they went with more of a safe pick in that it's highly likely that at worst they get a bottom pairing RD as kids his size with his skill level that have good skating/speed/strength outside of injuries don't bust at as high a rate as others.

In the one game I saw this year Michkov did look good, so how much he can progress over these next few years, and another guy that many Hab fans wanted in Benson or Lenoard, if these forwards do well and Reinbacher is more a of a bottom pairing D then depending on what happens with Slaf, this management team could be in trouble.

I think they looked at Lane Hutson and said this guy could be someone to build the team around and Reinbacher could be a great partner for him while addressing a need. I'm honestly more worried about Slaf then I am Reinbacher but they went for size which we badly need with so many smallish prospects.

McDavid and Draisaitl are terrible in their own end, but when they are at 3PPG pace combined in playoffs, their team is pretty tough to play against.

Reactions: Guadana

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
McDavid and Draisaitl are terrible in their own end, but when they are at 3PPG pace combined in playoffs, their team is pretty tough to play against.
Draisaitl is still often bad, but McDavid is not. His attention to detail in the defensive zone is high, and he stays low in the zone until the puck is broken out cleanly. He's much better at combining his strength and speed to get body position and execute clean takeaways.

As for Michkov, he's smart enough to learn as much defense as he needs to. His ability to recognize soft coverage, and make fast small area plays will allow him to be a high-end transition player. He could play in the NHL at 185-195lbs, which would make a massive difference for puck battles and puck protection.

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
As habs fan who wanted Mitchkov, I wonder if the habs fell for the sunken cost fallacy since they saw Reinbacher a lot..
I still have a hard time accepting the Reinbacher choice even though he was the next name in my list.

Michkov would have been the ideal complement to Slafkovsky and Dach and certainly an offensive talent like Montreal hasn't seen in a very long time. Especially since talented right-handed defenders are not what will be lacking in the 2024 draft. On the other hand, getting a talent close to Michkov will be complicated. For me he is clearly more talented than Demidov and only Celebrini and Eiserman are comparable.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
It’s much better and harder league now. And it’s fact.
Of course not

Reinbacher is not raw.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
That was a nice shot by Michkov that led to the rebound goal by Tyanulin against Cherepovets Matvei is trying to drive it hard with as much power as possible,like that he's always dangerous in the O-Zone

Reactions: FlyguyOX and tnfrs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad