RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Habs fans back on suicide watch
That's taking it a bit far. I know my fellow habs fans have made a mockery of themselves in this thread but alot of us love the game of hockey and love to see big time international prospects succeed regardless of team. I'm sure most fans who wanted Michkov still support him in spirit even if he wasn't drafted by us, like me.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Phenomenal start .. good for him! 5pts in 5 games in the KHL is crazy good for an 18 year old.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
As a Habs fan I can say that while I very do much like Reinbacher as a prospect this is a clear case of just overthinking things unless they possibly had some information that he was not interested in playing for Montreal.

It should have been pretty much a slam dunk when he fell to us, we haven't had a player in the top ten in scoring since Naslund in 86 and here was one who lands right in our lap and we piss it over the bow of the ship.

Could very well prove to be new managements first real big blunder in a few years.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
As a Habs fan I can say that while I very do much like Reinbacher as a prospect this is a clear case of just overthinking things unless they possibly had some information that he was not interested in playing for Montreal.

It should have been pretty much a slam dunk when he fell to us, we haven't had a player in the top ten in scoring since Naslund in 86 and here was one who lands right in our lap and we piss it over the bow of the ship.

Could very well prove to be new managements first real big blunder in a few years.
Along with the Slaf pick lol but let’s see how that plays out

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

That is absolutely incredible o_O

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I'm not trying to shit on Tyanulin but stuff like this is happening every game. I didn't notice it watching him last season but so far this year it's like he forgot how to make clean passes. He makes a pass, that's not deflected, to the middle of absolutely nowhere. He seemingly is incapable of hitting Michkov with a clean, high-danger pass to start this season. While Michkov does it for him at minimum a few times per game

I'm not saying that Michkov was a good passing option in this instance, but the other 2 guys were

IMG_3876.png
IMG_3877.png

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'm not trying to shit on Tyanulin but stuff like this is happening every game. I didn't notice it watching him last season but so far this year it's like he forgot how to make clean passes. He makes a pass, that's not deflected, to the middle of absolutely nowhere. He seemingly is incapable of hitting Michkov with a clean, high-danger pass to start this season. While Michkov does it for him at minimum a few times per game

I'm not saying that Michkov was a good passing option in this instance, but the other 2 guys were

View attachment 744946View attachment 744947

Tyanulin is a scorer above all. Good speed, good shot, good hands and stickhandling, so it's Michkov who's supposed to set Tyanulin up not vice versa.

Reactions: Unger9

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Tyanulin is a scorer above all. Good speed, good shot, good hands and stickhandling, so it's Michkov who's supposed to set Tyanulin up not vice versa.
Well I guess to optimize that line their center should probably be someone who's a bit better at playmaking than Garaev. It's not optimal the way it is right now

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
They could have had a pipeline with Logan Cooley and Matvei Michkov in it. Those two would be ridiculous together.
They could have had a pipeline with Logan Cooley and Matvei Michkov in it. Those two would be ridiculous together.
In a sense I feel bad for Montreal since the 2022 draft class was really poor in terms of what you usually get as a first overall talent but all of Cooley, Jiricek, Nemec and Gauthier took steps last year that Slaf didn’t.

i would’ve taken Slafkovsky first too but taken a completely different development approach. He needed at least one more year in Liiga and maybe even an additional one after that, awful development by MTL.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Incredible but true.

"Sigh"

I still like that pick, way to early to be making any calls on that as some people are already doing.
In a sense I feel bad for Montreal since the 2022 draft class was really poor in terms of what you usually get as a first overall talent but all of Cooley, Jiricek, Nemec and Gauthier took steps last year that Slaf didn’t.

i would’ve taken Slafkovsky first too but taken a completely different development approach. He needed at least one more year in Liiga and maybe even an additional one after that, awful development by MTL.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Yeah we caught a bad break for that draft for sure in terms of no clear cut guy seen as number one, and yes, he was clearly not ready for the NHL last season but as the saying goes...................the night is still young.

I think the tools are there for him to be an impact player. I'd like to see him slim down a little for more quickness out there and hopefully he breaks through with some nice games early this season and he gets his confidence going, he does have tremendous upside if it all comes together. Maybe he won't prove himself in the end to have been the best pick at that spot but I still think when all is said and done he will be one of the best 4, that wouldn't be what we were dreaming of but still a guy who is a core player of your team.

But that brings us back to the passing on Michkov doesn't it? You had a guy drop to you for whatever reasons at pick five who was a number one overall talent( of which there wasn't any last year compared to a normal draft year)...............................and you pass on him? really?

As I said........in 5 years time that may look REALLY BAD.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Totally agree that their development plan was hilariously bad....but I had Cooley 1st overall practically all season and would have taken him over Slafkovsky 100% of the time, but Montreal fell for the short-sample size hype of the WJC. I would have taken Slafkovsky over Gauthier at the time, but now i'm not sure of that either. I still think he'll be a better pro than Wright though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad