RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Biggest question is why Rotenberg and SKA even bought Michkov from Loko? I mean, Loko is also a bad place for a young forward but still, Michkov would have been a roster player there last year. Yes, he wouldn't have had the "best season evar!", and no chance to rack up points on amateur goalie there but at least would have been developing on a decent team in KHL
Rotenberg doesn't know what to do with him.

Sending him down is dumb, a prospect of his pedigree should be playing regular minutes in KHL in his d+1 season
Not playing him at all is dumb. If he can't make the roster and trading him is out of the question, send him down.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
im just speculating, and im gonna do it again probably

Cool. Do what ya want. I just find that line of thinking usually arises from stereotypes based on isolated incidents. It's just more acceptable to say in today's political climate.
Its like if Russian fans said every questionable occurance in the NHL might be related to Chicago and Hockey Canada's abuse scandals. Why was Podkolzin sent to the AHL? Maybe he's not on his game because he's being abused. That type of stuff. Same thing.

Reactions: ReHabs

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Cool. Do what ya want. I just find that line of thinking usually arises from stereotypes based on isolated incidents. It's just more acceptable to say in today's political climate.
Its like if Russian fans said every questionable occurance in the NHL might be related to Chicago and Hockey Canada's abuse scandals. Why was Podkolzin sent to the AHL? Maybe he's not on his game because he's being abused. That type of stuff. Same thing.
those are weird connections to make, but go with how you feel man

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Would sure like to see Russian players for the World Juniors and Olympics in 2024 and 2026 respectively even if they have to play under an Athletic Flag of some sort like they did in the past! Like to see Michkov light up opposing netminders to show his Worth,Value,Talent and Skill!

• Love
Reactions: FlyguyOX

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Not playing him at all is dumb. If he can't make the roster and trading him is out of the question, send him down.
Prospect of his caliber should not play in VHL in his d+1. Best option is trade, but I think Rotenberg will not risk it(what if he starts scoring) so a loan to Vityaz or Sochi. Lesser evil, even though, playing on a bottom feeder is not great for development, still better than bench or VHL

Would sure like to see Russian players for the World Juniors and Olympics in 2024 and 2026 respectively even if they have to play under an Athletic Flag of some sort like they did in the past! Like to see Michkov light up opposing netminders to show his Worth,Value,Talent and Skill!
No chance, 2028 or 2030 is the earliest realistic timeline

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Garl is actually making good points, and is arguing in better faith and with less emotion than at least a couple of guys going at him.

That said, I think he is mostly wrong about Michkov, but lemme check....

@Garl - what type of future do you think Michkov eventually has in the NHL? Can you make a bold guess at his ceiling for me?
Ceiling IMO is Kaprizov with more iq but less goals from dirty areas. He is hard to project, a unique player

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
If Michkov and his agent are smart, they would contact Philly and make sure Philly buy him out of the SKA contract. It's coffee money for the Flyers. Even two SHL teams managed to buy out players from the last year of their contracts in the summer of 2022, so it shouldn't be any problems whatsoever for a NHL team to do the same IF Michkov wants to (and why wouldn't he?).

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
If Michkov and his agent are smart, they would contact Philly and make sure Philly buy him out of the SKA contract. It's coffee money for the Flyers. Even two SHL teams managed to buy out players from the last year of their contracts in the summer of 2022, so it shouldn't be any problems whatsoever for a NHL team to do the same IF Michkov wants to (and why wouldn't he?).
I believe in the past people have said NHL teams aren't permitted to buy KHL players out of their contracts. I could be mistaken but fairly certain it's not an option for NHL teams. With that said you're right that Philly would be wise, if it's possible, to get him to NA as he will become the face of their franchise in short order

I was selfishly hoping that Philly would make an example of the KHL and sign him to a contract ala their goalie being stolen but the team and NHL don't have the guts to do it.

Reactions: Unger9

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

NHL teams can't do so. I don't specifically know why it's prohibited, though I suppose it has something to do with the cap.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
NHL teams can’t buy Russian players out of the KHL contracts

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Think for a second about the fact that an NHL team has never bought out a player's contract from any league. It's likely a transfer agreement issue as well as probably cap circumvention to spend extra money on your roster that doesn't get count towards the cap. Why would the NHL bend its rules just for Michkov? Also think why doesn't Michkov just buy his own contract out? It is more political than you think to leave Russia.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
NHL teams can't do so. I don't specifically know why it's prohibited, though I suppose it has something to do with the cap.

NHL teams can’t buy Russian players out of the KHL contracts

There seems to be a bit of conflicting information floating around about how possible a buyout would be, but Frank Seravalli, who is as connected as an NHL insider can get, confirmed with the league this summer that a buyout of Michkov's contract would be possible. The NHL would just need proof that the contract was satisfied.

Discussion is at 19:02:

Reactions: MXD

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
There seems to be a bit of conflicting information floating around about how possible a buyout would be, but Frank Seravalli, who is as connected as an NHL insider can get, confirmed with the league this summer that a buyout of Michkov's contract would be possible. The NHL would just need proof that the contract was satisfied.

Discussion is at 19:02:

That’s assuming SKA also agrees to it.

Per current KHL bylaws, players can also unilaterally terminate their contracts. But they must reimburse their teams 2/3 remaining contract AND give 18 months prior notice.

Reactions: Redpath

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Overreaction much? lol

Rotenberg's "trust the system" defensive gameplans are lunacy. Despite a wealth of talent in SKA's system he's stacked the team with and is relying on a lot of grinders this year.

But we're 2 games in. If Michkov is still being limited a 1/4 through the season then its time to worry, or hope he's sent to Sochi or Lada. He'll eventually get in the lineup and imo has the talent to force Roma's hand.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
maybe Flyers could give him the coffee money under the table so he can get himself out. But I myself would rather he gets loaned to somewhere like Lada for this season. You would think the Flyers would do everything they can to help that happen

When he draws in, he's going to get like 5 minutes of time. It's going to be extremely difficult for him to change anything in Roman's mind. Especially considering there seems to be a strong chance RR is just plainly biased against him for invalid reasons

If things keep going similarly it would probably take Michkov until December to even have a chance of changing anything in Roman's mind. Clearly the points and two-way game in the Sochi Hockey Open didn't have any effect on RR

I'd just way rather he gets loaned

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
maybe Flyers could give him the coffee money under the table so he can get himself out. But I myself would rather he gets loaned to somewhere like Lada for this season. You would think the Flyers would do everything they can to help that happen

When he draws in, he's going to get like 5 minutes of time. It's going to be extremely difficult for him to change anything in Roman's mind. Especially considering there seems to be a strong chance RR is just plainly biased against him for invalid reasons

If things keep going similarly it would probably take Michkov until December to even have a chance of changing anything in Roman's mind. Clearly the points and two-way game in the Sochi Hockey Open didn't have any effect on RR

I'd just way rather he gets loaned
Having Michkov sit in the stands is crazy,he should be playing and playing a lot!Hopefully for Matvei things get worked out and plays a tonne somewhere anywhere

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Michkov knew what he was signing for when he got that contract with SKA. Getting ice time there for a youngster is nearly impossible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad