RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I think we all have seen which direction the KHL has developed as a destination the last few years. And Michkov isn't even the only Russian Flyers prospect facing considerable career-damaging difficulties in Russia.
The KHL reported very high attendance and support last year -- is it a destination? No, the NHL is by far the best league in the sport. But competition is good. In any case, the discrimination against Russian sport was out of their control and influence. Russian teenagers being made scapegoats in some bizarre conspiracy to embarrass them and exclude them from the Juniors was out of their control.

Concurrently, Michkov's rights are a property of SKA and they won't squander him for not good reason. He's an undersized teenager in a pro league, it is very typical that he will have to perform at a very high caliber to break into the roster -- yes, even if he had produced elsewhere, it doesn't make him not a teenager and not small/slow.

• Haha
Reactions: FlyguyOX

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Michkov knew what he was signing for when he got that contract with SKA. Getting ice time there for a youngster is nearly impossible
I bet he was hoping the Flyers would buy his way out regardless of what others say about the legality of it all

The KHL reported very high attendance and support last year -- is it a destination? No, the NHL is by far the best league in the sport. But competition is good. In any case, the discrimination against Russian sport was out of their control and influence. Russian teenagers being made scapegoats in some bizarre conspiracy to embarrass them and exclude them from the Juniors was out of their control.

Concurrently, Michkov's rights are a property of SKA and they won't squander him for not good reason. He's an undersized teenager in a pro league, it is very typical that he will have to perform at a very high caliber to break into the roster -- yes, even if he had produced elsewhere, it doesn't make him not a teenager and not small/slow.
Small/Slow I've never heard Michkov seen in that "light" before

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Pretty sure he meant one or the other. And Michkov is definitely small.
Michkov is deemed by his team to be both too small and not a powerful enough skater to thrive in the KHL. He is a teenager, so this isn’t a surprise. He is still a very exciting prospect.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Michkov is deemed by his team to be both too small and not a powerful enough skater to thrive in the KHL. He is a teenager, so this isn’t a surprise. He is still a very exciting prospect.

This I can understand (balance and all), but that doesn't make him slow...

Reactions: ReHabs and ponder

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
Michkov is currently stands around the same dimensions as Nikita Gusev, who is the most dominant scorer in the KHL since prime Radulov and Mozyakin.

Is he blazing fast? NO. Is he a hulk yet? No. Still, his balance and puck protection are awesome tools which he uses exceptionally well.

He handles himself better in corners than every other young player on that roster, without debate. If they don't think he can play true minutes after all he's shown, they should just move him to another KHL team. He'll assuredly go Kovalenko on them

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
No one asked for your elementary school-level knowledge of geopolitics either but this is a thread to discuss Michkov. It is quite apparent why the Habs passed on him now which is relevant to discussing him.
Because of a couple missed games to start the season?

Cope harder

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Michkov is 160lbs soaking wet, he's a teenager in a pro league. Pump the breaks and let him develop.
Why do all the Habs fans think they are now the defenders of SKA? Do you want everyone else to be anti-Reinbacher? That’s what this could get to.

This is despicable treatment. He was better in the KHL than nearly every player on SKA’s roster last season as a first year draft eligible. It’s logical to believe there’s going to be more improvement this season. It’s completely illogical that he’s not in the lineup. If you are seriously defending it, you have an agenda. Any hockey fan should be against this.

oh hey, this is just like the Podkolzin thread
Podkolzin isn’t half the player. He was a total shot in the dark. Maybe he turns into a good player or maybe you don’t know his name in 10 years. Michkov is on a way higher caliber. It’s not fair to compare Michkov’s situation to Podkolzin. SKA has mistreated many good young players over the years, and Podkolzin is one of them, but Michkov’s situation is a completely different level.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
No one asked for your elementary school-level knowledge of geopolitics either but this is a thread to discuss Michkov. It is quite apparent why the Habs passed on him now which is relevant to discussing him.
No, it’s not. I didn’t give the Rangers perspective on it. The only NHL team that matters for Michkov discussion is the Flyers. It’s obvious why you’re giving the Habs perspective. You are relishing in this despicable treatment of him by SKA. Be careful what you wish for thinking you guys now got it right because of how he’s being treated by SKA.

Michkov can overcome this. This same thing happened last season and he ended up being a very good KHL’er. The player you drafted might never amount to a good NHL’er. The same will not be said about Michkov. I have nothing against Reinbacher, but the way some of you are so openly against Michkov could sway public opinion.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Why do all the Habs fans think they are now the defenders of SKA? Do you want everyone else to be anti-Reinbacher? That’s what this could get to.
This is an exceedingly foolish statement. You must not have full awareness of what you’re saying.
This is despicable treatment. He was better in the KHL than nearly every player on SKA’s roster last season as a first year draft eligible. It’s logical to believe there’s going to be more improvement this season. It’s completely illogical that he’s not in the lineup. If you are seriously defending it, you have an agenda. Any hockey fan should be against this.
Calm down

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Calm down
If Slafkovsky was trapped in a corrupt team behind a bunch of nobodies, you’d be outraged. And Slafkovsky hasn’t proved close to what Michkov has.

I’m not a Flyers fan, but any hockey fan should be against this. It’s bad for hockey if the best Russian since Ovechkin is being treated like this. Why should this team be able to hold this guy hostage because he has a contract with them?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
If Slafkovsky was trapped in a corrupt team behind a bunch of nobodies, you’d be outraged. And Slafkovsky hasn’t proved close to what Michkov has.
lol
I’m not a Flyers fan, but any hockey fan should be against this. It’s bad for hockey if the best Russian since Ovechkin is being treated like this. Why should this team be able to hold this guy hostage because he has a contract with them?
Calm down

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
No, it’s not. I didn’t give the Rangers perspective on it. The only NHL team that matters for Michkov discussion is the Flyers. It’s obvious why you’re giving the Habs perspective. You are relishing in this despicable treatment of him by SKA. Be careful what you wish for thinking you guys now got it right because of how he’s being treated by SKA.

Michkov can overcome this. This same thing happened last season and he ended up being a very good KHL’er. The player you drafted might never amount to a good NHL’er. The same will not be said about Michkov. I have nothing against Reinbacher, but the way some of you are so openly against Michkov could sway public opinion.

It's funny searching "Michkov" on Twitter and seeing half the discussion in French. Habs fans are seemingly monitoring this situation as closely as Flyers fans. We all know why. :laugh:

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

Calm down.

Reactions: ReHabs

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Podkolzin isn’t half the player. He was a total shot in the dark. Maybe he turns into a good player or maybe you don’t know his name in 10 years. Michkov is on a way higher caliber. It’s not fair to compare Michkov’s situation to Podkolzin. SKA has mistreated many good young players over the years, and Podkolzin is one of them, but Michkov’s situation is a completely different level.
lol lmao

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hum... Olympic MVP, Slovak player of the year, and one of the best World Championship tournaments of all time by a young player.
Not saying those are irrelevant things, but I don't think that's the most important thing to look at.

In their draft season.

Slafkovsky: 10 points in 31 games for TPS
Michkov: 20 points in 27 games

Michkov was also playing in the better league. Slafkovsky didn't light it up in his first NHL season either (10 points in 39 games). He's a lot more of a long-term development player. Michkov is not a finished product, but he's there's no mystery if he'll be good. He already is.

If you want to get to international accolades to, there's no way to fairly compare. They didn't play in the same tournaments. I think its possible Michkov could've achieved all of that for Russia because he's dominated every international hockey tournament he's played in. That's what he does. Slafkovsky has had a few great tournaments, but has shown nowhere near the same level of play from tournament to tournament. There's some good and then some bad. That's not so with Michkov.

• Love

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I'm not a fan of either team. I'm telling you how it is. Podkolzin is proving that to be true. He could turn it around or you might not know of him in another five years.
is this one of those 'everyone is a shot in the dark in the draft' kinda loose definitions of the term

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad