RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
And yet - Demidov is in the lineup. So either Demidov is better than Michkov or Michkov is being punished for some reason.
everything happening to Michkov right now is completely unwarranted. RR just doesn't like him. He's also not super duper in love with Khusnutdinov, a similar player type to Michkov. Last season RR didn't seem to like him at center. He would come out of the lineup occasionally and when he'd return, would spend a game on the 4th line. I'm not sure if Khus is a bit injured right now but he only got 8:30 TOI in the opener and didn't play the 2nd game.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
everything happening to Michkov right now is completely unwarranted. RR just doesn't like him. He's also not super duper in love with Khusnutdinov, a similar player type to Michkov. Last season RR didn't seem to like him at center. He would come out of the lineup occasionally and when he'd return, would spend a game on the 4th line. I'm not sure if Khus is a bit injured right now but he only got 8:30 TOI in the opener and didn't play the 2nd game.

Khus, Michkov and Demidov are all around the same size - Khus is 21, Michkov is 18 and Demidov is 17. I guess Demidov has been able to stay in their good graces despite being only 17.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Khus, Michkov and Demidov are all around the same size - Khus is 21, Michkov is 18 and Demidov is 17. I guess Demidov has been able to stay in their good graces despite being only 17.
I think Demidov is 6' honestly. He looks like it. He doesn't play physically though

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Many scouts have said Demidov may be the better prospect. One would think they'd play the 18 year old who’s under contract for three years over the 17 though. This was a huge factor in why the Habs passed on Michkov. Even having a former SKA head scout and head of player development whose dad still works for SKA didn't give them any hope they could control his development.
You don’t need to give the Habs take on why Michkov is sitting.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its astonishing how stupid the decision making can be from coaching staff at SKA. Even with Kirill Marchenko who proved time and time again that he was more than good enough to be a top 6 regular on that team he was always getting scratched or sent to the VHL for lesser KHL players on the roster. Made me pull my hair out at times.
I’ve said it a million times. They feel like they are more important than they are. They sign the best roster in the KHL two times over and then struggle with the KHL’s rigged salary cap. Great, but the KHL is also a league for players who don’t make it in the NHL or haven’t yet went to the NHL. Like all the other leagues, there is nothing special about these random dudes on SKA. The only ones who remotely are important figures in hockey are players like Michkov and Demidov. You could add a few of their other NHL prospects to that list. They sign guys like Galchenyuk and treat him like a star when he could barely cling to an NHL spot in recent seasons.

They’ve been doing this too long, and I hope we start to see these players like Michkov reject SKA’s offers to them in the future. Michkov was initially at Lokomotiv Yaroslavl. The next Michkov should see this and refuse to sign with SKA when they try to buy out his contract from a club without close to the same resources. Let SKA fill out their team with NA has-beens and KHL stars. The real NHL prospects should stay away.

Michkov not playing isn’t remotely debatable. It’s straight up ridiculous after how he performed last season and throughout his whole hockey career. He’d probably not be scratched once in the much better NHL. Anyone defending this has an agenda. This isn’t right and everyone should be able to admit it.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Last year Khusnutdinov was forced into the 2nd line C role because of injuries.

This year SKA significantly deeper down the middle. I’m not surprised Khusnutdinov isnt playing as much as last season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don’t get caught up tho. Ur all caught up in it right now.
You’re so wrong. Michkov is the best Russian prospect since Ovechkin, and he can’t get into the lineup of a sub-NHL caliber team for reasons that make no sense.

He’s right to take a stand. This is absurd and I’m not a Flyers fan. This should be widely looked down upon by all hockey fans.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
SKA doing SKA things again. Flyers should pay Michkov under the table to buy himself out of that contract
If SKA doesn’t want him in their lineup, Michkov should be able to go to the NHL.

At some point, IIHF should be able to tell SKA to get stuffed and the best interests of hockey take precedent. A potential NHL superstar within a few years being unable to get in a mediocre lineup that has a bunch of bums no one has ever heard of is grounds for telling SKA that his contract can vanish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unger9

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
If SKA doesn’t want him in their lineup, Michkov should be able to go to the NHL.

At some point, IIHF should be able to tell SKA to get stuffed and the best interests of hockey take precedent. A potential NHL superstar within a few years being unable to get in a mediocre lineup that has a bunch of bums no one has ever heard of is grounds for telling SKA that his contract can vanish.

Yikes! The precedent that sets is not in the NHL’s interest.
Every top prospect sent to the minors could do the same.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yikes! The precedent that sets is not in the NHL’s interest.
Every top prospect sent to the minors could do the same.
And none of the guys sent to the minors are anywhere near as good as Michkov. Besides, that’s a bad example because no one that great is leaving for the KHL or any league. It doesn’t work both ways. The NHL is the undisputed best league in the world with the best players. That should take precedent.

Laugh at me if you want, but I think Michkov is bigger than SKA. How many fans does SKA even have? I’d wager that Michkov has more fans within Russia than SKA.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

Are you Russian?

Most Russians would tell the IIHF to stick their whole head up their whole rear ends. The IIHF has irreperably damaged Russian hockey and made a mockery of itself and its own authority -- this dates back many years (see the Malkin case and how badly Russian Hockey got screwed) but certainly is highlighted by the heinous and indefinite suspension the IIHF unilaterally imposed on innocent Russian hockey players. You can crow about the necessity to discriminate against Russian civilians all you want (as many have) but it won't change the fact the IIHF has no leverage on Russia or the KHL in this case and they cannot take any action against Russia, the KHL, or SKA at this point.

Laugh at me if you want, but I think Michkov is bigger than SKA. How many fans does SKA even have? I’d wager that Michkov has more fans within Russia than SKA.
Oh, nevermind. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
And none of the guys sent to the minors are anywhere near as good as Michkov. Besides, that’s a bad example because no one that great is leaving for the KHL or any league. It doesn’t work both ways. The NHL is the undisputed best league in the world with the best players. That should take precedent.

The IIHF has no right to tell any team how to allocate their ice time. If they did it would throw the hockey world into chaos.

Bettman wouldn't want this either. It gives young players immense influence over their team’s decision making. Michkov to Briere: Play me every game, x amount of minutes, or I’m calling the IIHF to get me out of our contract.
The whole premise is absurd.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
the IIHF has no leverage on Russia or the KHL in this case and they cannot take any action against Russia, the KHL, or SKA at this point.
The IIHF could allow any player leave the KHL regardless of their contract situation without consequences.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Rotenberg would be unqualified to coach a peewee midget team. He only has the job because of his father and his connections to the chief mafioso. Both are a cancer to Russian hockey.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Oh, nevermind. You have no idea what you're talking about.
He's maybe being a bit hyperbolic. But .. SKA is defined to a region. They're not even the winningest KHL team in terms of Gagarin Cups in recent years. Michkov isn't defined to a region. He's someone the entire nation can be proud of. If they had played in the WJCs this would be even more clear, and tbh he prob wouldn't be getting benched right now. The lack of international competition has probably heavily muted the Michkov fame in Russia

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
The IIHF could allow any player leave the KHL regardless of their contract situation without consequences.
The IIHF spent a lot of political capital to ensure the KHL and NHL respect each other's contracts.

Following the unilateral and indefinite suspension of Russian hockey from IIHF events, if the IIHF were to drop a second nuke on Russian hockey and sanction unilateral contract breaks they would portend their own demise. Russia's a top3 hockey nation, they can draw players from all over the world and get players to break their contracts all over.

If the IIHF were to drop a third nuke on Russian hockey and find way to explicitly delineate further discriminatory measures against the KHL/Russian hockey by somehow rending only KHL/Russian contracts voidable in the eyes of the IIHF, they would end their legitimacy and authority on the spot. You just don't do that.

He might be being a bit hyperbolic. But .. SKA is defined to a region. They're not even the winningest KHL team in terms of Gagarin Cups in recent years. Michkov isn't defined to a region. He's someone the entire nation can be proud of. If they had played in the WJCs this would be even more clear, and tbh he prob wouldn't be getting benched right now
Meaningless pablum. A teenager with a tiny CV will not have any sway or influence in sport in any country. SKA and RR are not in the business of losing hockey games. They're not benching Michkov because they want to hurt their team's chances of success. You're all falling into predictable hysterics. Michkov is a terrific prospect, he will get game time with SKA or elsewhere once he earns TOI. For all we know he's being benched for entirely legitimate disciplinary reasons.

• Haha
Reactions: Shocker and kp61c

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Meaningless pablum. A teenager with a tiny CV will not have any sway or influence in sport in any country.
Canadian city population 2 million. Over estimate and say 50% of pop are fans of the hockey team. 1 million fans. Canada population 40 million. What percentage of the population were fans of Connor Bedard after the WJC? Three percent? 1.2 million fans

I really just gave you 50% and 3% and still got the point across. Meaningless pablum

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The IIHF spent a lot of political capital to ensure the KHL and NHL respect each other's contracts.

Following the unilateral and indefinite suspension of Russian hockey from IIHF events, if the IIHF were to drop a second nuke on Russian hockey and sanction unilateral contract breaks they would portend their own demise. Russia's a top3 hockey nation, they can draw players from all over the world and get players to break their contracts all over.

If the IIHF were to drop a third nuke on Russian hockey and find way to explicitly delineate further discriminatory measures against the KHL/Russian hockey by somehow rending only KHL/Russian contracts voidable in the eyes of the IIHF, they would end their legitimacy and authority on the spot. You just don't do that.

Meaningless pablum. A teenager with a tiny CV will not have any sway or influence in sport in any country. SKA and RR are not in the business of losing hockey games. They're not benching Michkov because they want to hurt their team's chances of success. You're all falling into predictable hysterics. Michkov is a terrific prospect, he will get game time with SKA or elsewhere once he earns TOI. For all we know he's being benched for entirely legitimate disciplinary reasons.
I don't know what you mean by unilateral, the FHR are represented within the IIHF like any other member and participated in these decisions. That the KHL apparently chooses to operate as a rogue league is not a significant threat to the IIHF or the integrity of international hockey as a whole. Michkov and other involved individuals merely have to decide for themselves what their own personal position is, as we can see even for the most talented Russian players it is not evident that staying in Russia would be in their best interest regardless of their contract situation.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
once he earns TOI.

Is that you Roman? We can talk about how much TOI and in what role Michkov earned it. But certainly not about the fact that he deserves a spot on the starting roster.

For all we know he's being benched for entirely legitimate disciplinary reasons.

Maybe you really are RR... we don't know anything about it, just that Michkov has to "earn" it. Whatever that means for RR.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Canadian city population 2 million. Over estimate and say 50% of pop are fans of the hockey team. 1 million fans. Canada population 40 million. What percentage of the population were fans of Connor Bedard after the WJC? Three percent? 1.2 million fans

I really just gave you 50% and 3% and still got the point across. Meaningless pablum
Even more meaningless pablum

I don't know what you mean by unilateral, the FHR are represented within the IIHF like any other member and participated in these decisions. That the KHL apparently chooses to operate as a rogue league is not a significant threat to the IIHF or the integrity of international hockey as a whole. Michkov and other involved individuals merely have to decide for themselves what their own personal position is, as we can see even for the most talented Russian players it is not evident that staying in Russia would be in their best interest regardless of their contract situation.
The IIHF has unilaterally indefinitely suspended the KHL from its events - has it not?. The IIHF therefore has no leverage on the KHL at this point -- there are no financial or sporting motivations to encourage the KHL to listen to the rogue and belligerent IIHF leadership which has unapologetically discriminated against the KHL and Russian Hockey.

Michkov is a talented prospect, he's not "the most talented Russian player". Calm down.
Is that you Roman? We can talk about how much TOI and in what role Michkov earned it. But certainly not about the fact that he deserves a spot on the starting roster.

Maybe you really are RR... we don't know anything about it, just that Michkov has to "earn" it. Whatever that means for RR.
How closely do you follow SKA and the KHL? Michkov is 160lbs soaking wet, he's a teenager in a pro league. Pump the breaks and let him develop.

• Haha

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The IIHF has unilaterally indefinitely suspended the KHL from its events - has it not?
I'm not aware of an IIHF event that the KHL would have been a part of, rather already its foundation voluntarily (and shall I say unilaterally) removed Russian teams from IIHF events already some 15 years ago, but Russia remains a full member of the IIHF and as such enjoys equal participation in its decision-making processes.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I'm not aware of an IIHF event that the KHL would have been a part of, rather already its foundation voluntarily (and shall I say unilaterally) removed Russian teams from IIHF events already some 15 years ago, but Russia remains a full member of the IIHF and as such enjoys equal participation in its decision-making processes.
Since 2022 the International Ice Hockey Federation suspended the FHR from all levels of competition. There is no other pressure point the IIHF can press to insult or coerce the FHR or the KHL at this time. If it allows contracts to be broken unilaterally, then all hell will break loose and European leagues will suffer greatly as the KHL does offer a good spot for adult hockey players to play their trade.

All of this is immaterial to Matvei Michkov, mind you.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Since 2022 the International Ice Hockey Federation suspended the FHR from all levels of competition. There is no other pressure point the IIHF can press to insult or coerce the FHR or the KHL at this time. If it allows contracts to be broken unilaterally, then all hell will break loose and European leagues will suffer greatly as the KHL does offer a good spot for adult hockey players to play their trade.

All of this is immaterial to Matvei Michkov, mind you.
I think we all have seen which direction the KHL has developed as a destination the last few years. And Michkov isn't even the only Russian Flyers prospect facing considerable career-damaging difficulties in Russia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad