RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Where are the people that said not to worry about his preseason scratches? That they were just saving him for the regular season? I brought up that he got his ice time cut after a bad play. Where are those that went against my thought process? I don’t see them around.
If you mean me, then I'm here, but I also wrote that things will be more clear no early than two weeks into the season. I mean, currently SKA roster has 20 forwards and you can fit pretty much only 12 full-time forwards into the lineup, obviously Michkov will miss some games with that kind of player logjam.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Any source on why he's being scratched? Seems like normal procedure for young guys in the KHL but michkov seemed pretty impressive in pre-season , is coach just pulling a Michel Therrien and giving a good old *Respec* lesson to the young man
the best case scenario is its just old school hockey and roterberg is putting his trust in his vets until a rookie really steals the show and demidov and michkov just alternate. worst case scenario its an army affiliated team and rotenberg has orders from the top brass

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
the best case scenario is its just old school hockey and roterberg is putting his trust in his vets until a rookie really steals the show and demidov and michkov just alternate. worst case scenario its an army affiliated team and rotenberg has orders from the top brass
The even more concerning thing though is Rotenberg seems to clearly favor Demidov

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
The even more concerning thing though is Rotenberg seems to clearly favor Demidov
ya it seemed like it starting with the first game in the Puchkov tournament. im gonna ride out the next few weeks and see what happens, it could all be a nothing burger. they may have a plan and have already talked to michkov, could just be giving Demidov an extended look and Rotenberg doesnt want both of them playing every night. unless theres some Kremlin Gremlins fkin around in the big red machine right now maybe we're just being impatient lol

Reactions: Unger9

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Many scouts have said Demidov may be the better prospect. One would think they'd play the 18 year old whose under contract for three years over the 17 though. This was a huge factor in why the Habs passed on Michkov. Even having a former SKA head scout and head of player development whose dad still works for SKA didn't give them any hope they could control his development.

• Haha
Reactions: FlyguyOX

ag3r

Dec 26, 2019
Rotenberg family is one of the few families in Russia influential enough to not care about the army. His father(?) or uncle is one of the closest Putin friends. So he can do as he pleases and he does not care about the press, GM, etc

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Rotenberg family is one of the few families in Russia influential enough to not care about the army. His father(?) or uncle is one of the closest Putin friends. So he can do as he pleases and he does not care about the press, GM, etc
that may or may not be true in today's russia, with everything going on with fedotov isnt rotenberg helping cska right now?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
There are no army affiliated teams in the KHL.

The military team names were just kept for continuity and tradition after the Soviet Union fell.

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017

Watched 6 of the 8 preseason games Michkov was certainly one of the best handful of players for SKA, along with Demidov for that matter.

What have players like Ivan Fedotov, and Dedunov done to gain roster spots? This is purely a decision based on age, and not performance.

Michkov did plenty to earn a top 9 role in preseason. Nobody who watched would dispute this. The irony is Rotenburg preaches "earning the spot" yet he was given this position solely based on his name....

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
that may or may not be true in today's russia, with everything going on with fedotov isnt rotenberg helping cska right now?
rotenbergs are very close to putin. that's why this finnish citizen coaches the team, he wished to coach and so he got his wish

Last edited:

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
unless theres some Kremlin Gremlins fkin around in the big red machine right now
I think that's already been happening for some time.
There are no army affiliated teams in the KHL.

The military team names were just kept for continuity and tradition after the Soviet Union fell.
Doesn't the Ivan Fedotov situation pretty much refute this? He signs with CSKA and when he wants to leave after that contract is up he gets conscripted into the army and forcibly moved to a military base for a year.

This wouldn't happen in any other hockey country in the world, I can assure you of that.

Reactions: lordtrillson

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Its astonishing how stupid the decision making can be from coaching staff at SKA. Even with Kirill Marchenko who proved time and time again that he was more than good enough to be a top 6 regular on that team he was always getting scratched or sent to the VHL for lesser KHL players on the roster. Made me pull my hair out at times.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
there's 0 indication michkov wouldn't play for the habs. Habs met him at the draft and Bobrov has links to his KHL team...
hughes was putting out vapour trails long before the draft that the habs wouldn't take him. People assumed it was Hughes bluffing, but in fact it wasn't.
Putting aside projections and errors and personal opinions, habs brass felt the RD was an area of need and didn't want any more small skilled guys in the top 6. Caufield is there.. Suzuki isn't overly large, Harvey-Pinard, Farrell, Gallagher...Habs management decided they wanted to get bigger -
slafkovsky, Reinbacher, Dach...Xekaj making the team.
Time will tell if they were right, but michkov was never an option and michkov never said he didn't want to play for the habs

lol @ montreal being a small market team. Montreal is a bigger city than philly, generates more revenue and has a larger media presence in two languages
I have no dog in the fight as I like both cities but for the record the metro area of Philly is most definitely larger. And the 200k more urban in Montreal is more because of the sqm of the city. The urban density are within 500 of each other.
I'd love to see your data on 'generates more revenue'. Philly's GDP is much larger.

Last edited:

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
There's gotta be some way the Flyers can help get him loaned out right? I'd be preparing to try to sign something with SKA saying we'll stay the hell away from tampering with his contract in any way, as long as he's playing minutes SOMEWHERE in the KHL. And/or offer monetary compensation for loaning him. Just get it done.. something has to be possible

• Haha
Reactions: TGWL

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
should be sent to the vhl if there are no spots for him. playing every 5th game on a fourth line won't cut it. he needs to play regularly and play a lot.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
There's gotta be some way the Flyers can help get him loaned out right? I'd be preparing to try to sign something with SKA saying we'll stay the hell away from tampering with his contract in any way, as long as he's playing minutes SOMEWHERE in the KHL. And/or offer monetary compensation for loaning him. Just get it done.. something has to be possible
this is the downside of drafting him under contract so we just gotta ride it out. hes gonna get games in and hes gonna go balls to the wall when he does so Im gonna try not worry for the first couple weeks, ive been speculating and running through so many different scenarios I feel like im chasing pepe silvia now.

Thank god we already have Cutter Gauthier in the pipe but I think its a good signal to the flyers to not rely on Michkov to be the franchise guy. maybe this encourages danny to rethink his rebuild strategy and lean more into bottoming out the next few seasons. Michkov can still be an important piece without being the most important piece if we can win the Celebrini Sell-a-thon. Im probably over reacting like I keep saying not to, but its more important than ever now to have some exceptionally good drafts in the next few years.

Reactions: Unger9

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
this is the downside of drafting him under contract so we just gotta ride it out. hes gonna get games in and hes gonna go balls to the wall when he does so Im gonna try not worry for the first couple weeks, ive been speculating and running through so many different scenarios I feel like im chasing pepe silvia now.

Thank god we already have Cutter Gauthier in the pipe but I think its a good signal to the flyers to not rely on Michkov to be the franchise guy. maybe this encourages danny to rethink his rebuild strategy and lean more into bottoming out the next few seasons. Michkov can still be an important piece without being the most important piece if we can win the Celebrini Sell-a-thon. Im probably over reacting like I keep saying not to, but its more important than ever now to have some exceptionally good drafts in the next few years.
I agree on bottoming out for sure, but Rotenberg's decisions to me have no implications regarding Michkov's talent. SKA clearly have their heads up their arses right now

Reactions: tnfrs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad