RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

olgerd

Oct 19, 2021
His PPG is now better than Tarasenko's who scored 24 points in 42 games in his draft season, the best out of all 1st year draft eligible kids ever. And Tarasenko was way more mature physically.

SKA-Neva is in a free fall mode without him in the VHL...
I think the official statistics will count his "games" for SKA. But if we want to be honest, Michkov is going for a historic result in the KHL history.

Reactions: Realgud

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I thought he looked pretty good today. He just seems more confident. His production at every level is impressive and he’s still not very physically mature. I think he’s just scratching the surface.

People have been impressed with Leo Carlsson’s stats in a pro league. But, Michkov now has slightly better production in the KHL as Leo has in the SHL. Carlsson is also 6’3” and way more physically mature than Michkov.

For people that haven’t seen Michkov, he really looks like a child compared to the grown men he faces. That’s what makes his production impressive to me. The KHL is not an easy league for young smaller players. That’s why Panarin, Kucherov, Kaprizov, and Gusev all fell further than they should’ve in the draft (or went undrafted like Panarin). It’s very difficult to look good as a young undersized forward. Michkov’s production is truly great.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Where is Michkov's 11 points in 16 games of playoff hockey?

Oh that's right, he ran away from playing for a contender because he couldn't handle the role. Soft.

Cmon yo, the shtick is getting tiresome.

Kravtsov had very impressive KHL playoffs his draft year. But that's it. Wasn't even good enough for the U20 team.

Other than those playoffs, Kravtsov had no history of being anything overly special in league or national team play.
Drafted for a lot of untapped potential he hasn't yet realized. To compare him to Michkov is just dumb,

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I thought he looked pretty good today. He just seems more confident. His production at every level is impressive and he’s still not very physically mature. I think he’s just scratching the surface.

People have been impressed with Leo Carlsson’s stats in a pro league. But, Michkov now has slightly better production in the KHL as Leo has in the SHL. Carlsson is also 6’3” and way more physically mature than Michkov.

Michkov is by far the best player on his team while Carlsson is barely top6 on his.

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

I always favor towards the smaller guys dominating vs the giants when same age. Within reason of course.

Serious question to everyone.. is there a draft eligible guy doing better in any PRO league? Let's keep this to NLA, Liiga, SEL, KHL, DEL and Extraliga. Best on in Extraliga is Sale and he's not even close.

Carlson in SHL

1676148206552.png

Sale

1676148257278.png

Michkov

1676148308099.png

Note: not arguing that Extraliga is as strong as SHL or KHL.. it's obviously weaker. Who did I miss... obviously more than just 3?

Fun takeaway... Michkov has the fewest pro grames and the most goals right now.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Stats are important, but the ultimate gauge is the eye test. Michkov is a draft age smurf who, at times, is dominating men... in a league that's better than the AHL. He has some weaknesses, but this IQ never ceases to amaze me. That'll take him far.

But I still hope he grows. I seriously believe is size will be the biggest factor in determining whether he'll be a franchise player or something more.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I always favor towards the smaller guys dominating vs the giants when same age. Within reason of course.

Serious question to everyone.. is there a draft eligible guy doing better in any PRO league? Let's keep this to NLA, Liiga, SEL, KHL, DEL and Extraliga. Best on in Extraliga is Sale and he's not even close.

Carlson in SHL

View attachment 648695

Sale

View attachment 648696

Michkov

View attachment 648697

Note: not arguing that Extraliga is as strong as SHL or KHL.. it's obviously weaker. Who did I miss... obviously more than just 3?

Reinbacher with 20 points in 39 games in the NL is damn impressive.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Carlson in SHL

View attachment 648695

Sale

View attachment 648696

Michkov

View attachment 648697

I'd say the most important thing isn't statistics but what you see on the ice. Even when he doesn't produce any points Michkov shows he thinks the game faster than anybody on the ice. He tends to risky moves, he does mistakes, he isn't still 100% ready physically for professional hockey, his speed is still mediocre at best, but his mind is the fastest on the ice by far. And he has laser shot.

Other kids I doubt they think the game the way Michkov does, that's the difference.

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
Joining Sochi has been the best possible thing for him. He plays a staring role, is tasked with creating a lot for himself and his teammates, and is forced to work on the areas of his game that need work. His forechecking, defense and playmaking have all looked their best with Sochi.

He is growing incredibly well, and I think he will play a real scoring role with SKA next season. The sky is the limit with his skillset and IQ. Love the way his passing has come along as well. Makes his shot even more deadly

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I'd say the most important thing isn't statistics but what you see on the ice. Even when he doesn't produce any points Michkov shows he thinks the game faster than anybody on the ice. He tends to risky moves, he does mistakes, he isn't still 100% ready physically for professional hockey, his speed is still mediocre at best, but his mind is the fastest on the ice by far. And he has laser shot.

Other kids I doubt they think the game the way Michkov does, that's the difference.
Excellent post.

I think this is the single most undervalued thing in scouting a player. Trying something and failing to do it is NOT a bad thing. It shows a confidence and a willingness to do something special - in that instance it didn’t work but the worst thing a player of Michkov’s calibre could do is not try it again.

By failing, you learn from what didn‘t work in that occasion, so the Next time you go and try that move you have a better understanding of what not to do. You learn from it and the next time you try it, it can work out in your favour and result in a scoring chance or better yet a goal.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Excellent post.

I think this is the single most undervalued thing in scouting a player. Trying something and failing to do it is NOT a bad thing. It shows a confidence and a willingness to do something special - in that instance it didn’t work but the worst thing a player of Michkov’s calibre could do is not try it again.

By failing, you learn from what didn‘t work in that occasion, so the Next time you go and try that move you have a better understanding of what not to do. You learn from it and the next time you try it, it can work out in your favour and result in a scoring chance or better yet a goal.
I agree with you but for the sake of argument and being nitpicky I'd just want to add that this is more true vs pros than against junior competition and the opposing defenseman defending the move compared to the player failing to execute also matters. But in any circumstance, you're right as it does show some confidence and potential creativity, so that's always good. In my opinion, more than ever, you want to see creativity out of high-end players because everyone is just so skilled now that being able to consistently think outside the box, execute and succeed is really important in having the potential to reach the "next step" at the NHL level rather than ending up being a dime a dozen kind of player after failing to reach your potential.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia

He is easily the most talented player after Bedard in this draft

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That would probably be a coin fip of a decision for me, but only because Michkov is really small

I can’t see how any Gm would have taken him over Eichel with Eichel’s borderline generational hype.
Marner wasn’t either so why Michkov?

So turn it around to Fantilli and why wouldn’t Gm’s prefer Fantilli over Michkov?
How many draft prospects have put up better numbers in the ncaa than him?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Who is this Eichel and why should Michkov care, while he is breaking records of Ovechkin and Kucherov?

Because Fantilli is putting up better numbers than him yet far inferior to Michkov and Ovy is 20y ago from different league and Kucherov was a late 2nd round pick.

Let’s not act like everyone saw at the time he’s a future top5 forward in the league

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Because Fantilli is putting up better numbers than him yet far inferior to Michkov and Ovy is 20y ago from different league and Kucherov was a late 2nd round pick.

Let’s not act like everyone saw at the time he’s a future top5 forward in the league
You can’t seriously think Fantilli has borderline generational hype with his mediocre performances at WJC and WJC U18. Both him and Carlsson are projected to be good 1C players at best while Michkov could be a generational winger

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You can’t seriously think Fantilli has borderline generational hype with his mediocre performances at WJC and WJC U18. Both him and Carlsson are projected to be good 1C players at best while Michkov could be a generational winger

I didn’t say Fantilli has

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Eichel was overhyped, in hindsight. His situation demonstrates that tearing apart the NCAA does not guarantee NHL super-stardom. GMs are likely to keep this in mind when looking at Fantilli.

I can understand how GMs would prefer Fantilli though. His path to the NHL is more projectable.
Given Michkov’s size, his contract, and the lack of development control for NHL teams, Fantilli is arguably a safer pick; albeit one with less upside.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Eichel was overhyped, in hindsight. His situation demonstrates that tearing apart the NCAA does not guarantee NHL super-stardom. GMs are likely to keep this in mind when looking at Fantilli.

I can understand how GMs would prefer Fantilli though. His path to the NHL is more projectable.
Given Michkov’s size, his contract, and the lack of development control for NHL teams, Fantilli is arguably a safer pick; albeit one with less upside.

Eichel’s ”lack of superstardom” isn’t due to lack of skill. He had the skillset to be a top3/5 player in this league.
He’s more of an example of what character means also.

Michkov is a fantastic prospect, I just can’t understand why everything with his hype has to be over the top(generational talk)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Eichel’s ”lack of superstardom” isn’t due to lack of skill. He had the skillset to be a top3/5 player in this league.
He’s more of an example of what character means also.

Michkov is a fantastic prospect, I just can’t understand why everything with his hype has to be over the top(generational talk)

It usually happens when players do what nobody has ever done before...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It usually happens when players do what nobody has ever done before...

& what has the competition been during KHL time?
Post 2010 there’s been zero franchise prospects playing their draft years in Russia.

So how does that make one generational vs every prospect in the World?

You can’t make a legit case for Michkov being better player than Matthews/Barkov/Laine.

Matthews 46 points in 36 games in NLA, 9 points in 10 games at the WC, made the World Cup roster on his draft summer.

Barkov 48 points in 53 games in Liiga during an NHL lockout season.

Laine, men’s WC MVP, Liiga playoffs MVP, made the World Cup roster on his draft summer.

You can’t legit say Michkov is already one of the best players playing in European leagues unlike with them you could

Or the last 10 so years add Eichel, Hughes, Dahlin, Kakko, Mackinnon, Marner, can you make a legit argument for Michkov being a better player than all of them on draft day?

No you can’t.
So putting him with generational class with McDavid/Bedard is taking it too far.
He’s a franchise prospect with massive potential

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
& what has the competition been during KHL time?
Post 2010 there’s been zero franchise prospects playing their draft years in Russia.

So how does that make one generational vs every prospect in the World?

You can’t make a legit case for Michkov being better player than Matthews/Barkov/Laine.

Matthews 46 points in 36 games in NLA, 9 points in 10 games at the WC, made the World Cup roster on his draft summer.

Barkov 48 points in 53 games in Liiga during an NHL lockout season.

Laine, men’s WC MVP, Liiga playoffs MVP, made the World Cup roster on his draft summer.

You can’t legit say Michkov is already one of the best players playing in European leagues unlike with them you could

Or the last 10 so years add Eichel, Hughes, Dahlin, Kakko, Mackinnon, Marner, can you make a legit argument for Michkov being a better player than all of them on draft day?

No you can’t.
So putting him with generational class with McDavid/Bedard is taking it too far.
He’s a franchise prospect with massive potential

Who would you take, prime Kucherov or Mathews-Barkov-Laine? And Michkov had better better stats than Matthews at the same tournaments at the same age...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad