RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Yeah, it looks like him and Bedard know each other pretty well, they have phone numbers of each other. He said he congratulated Connor when Canada won the WJC.
Bedard must not have heard about all of Matvei's attitude problems lol
you dont usually hear about it especially in junior and between different countries, but it would make sense that the top guys would talk they cant really relate to anyone else on that level. i hope theyre super fkn competitive their whole careers and just go to work on each other

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Calling anyone a steal 2 months after the draft is just as ridiculous as calling someone a steal on draft day.
Imo Michkov at 7OA (especially now he’s a centre) wasn’t necessarily a steal, but he should have been picked in with the group of Smith, Carlsson, and Fantilli.

Reactions: wetcoast

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
For a guy that was clearly picky with what teams he was willing to play for, I don't know why anyone would be surprised he might not want to play for Montreal.

Doesn't mean it's a bad franchise or bad market, but there are some factors like the language, playing in Canada, and the bonkers media market that plenty of players don't want to deal with. You guys know this, as you are fans of the team and deal with this constantly. It's not a slight. It's reality about the Habs.
I agree with most of what you're saying, but language isn't an issue for a guy who doesn't speak English or French
;)

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if he'd still go 7th if teams knew he could play center, or at least play C as productively as he's been lately.

At the draft everybody said he was a small 1 dimensional scorer. He's showing himself to be much, much more well rounded in practically every aspect of the game.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Nope =-D its not even a third. AHL is a development league with veteran limit. There are no 18-19 yo players with results in euro leagues as they have in AHL. Level of competition, structure of defense and consistentcy of the game in ahl is far away from KHL and SHL. May be AHL is better than Liiga but it’s debatable.

Of course you need to watch games of AHL and euro leagues to understand it. And when you say something like “” you are immediately you make it clear that you cannot evaluate talents and their development.
Liiga is a garbage league. All the euros clutch their pearls because the AHL is a better league at this point.

Also there aren’t that many 18 or 19 year olds in the AHL in the first place.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Liiga is a garbage league. All the euros clutch their pearls because the AHL is a better league at this point.

You clearly don’t understand what are you talking about. A statement is not an argument. With regard to teenagers, I advise you to check the results of recent years. If there is no way to watch real hockey.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I wonder if he'd still go 7th if teams knew he could play center, or at least play C as productively as he's been lately.

At the draft everybody said he was a small 1 dimensional scorer. He's showing himself to be much, much more well rounded in practically every aspect of the game.
If center was a realistic option I wouldnt be surprised if Anaheim/Columbus atleast really consider him. I think both liked getting big 2 way centers though so Id still say its a coinflip at best. Not sure what San Jose would think

Reactions: Zine

Zine

Feb 28, 2002

How many times do we hear "OMG! They're playing 5 minutes a game in the KHL? Get them to NA and the AHL for some ice time!" ...like a million times a day.

There's a reason for that. The AHL is an easier league to play in.

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
lol @ montreal being a small market team. Montreal is a bigger city than philly, generates more revenue and has a larger media presence in two languages

Of course Montreal isn't a small market, but it's really not close to the size of Philly. According to Wikipedia...

Montreal metro: 4,291,732 and #2 media market in CAN
Philadelphia metro: 6,245,051 and #4 media market in USA

Reactions: HuGo Sham

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
How many times do we hear "OMG! They're playing 5 minutes a game in the KHL? Get them to NA and the AHL for some ice time!" ...like a million times a day.

Literally check the advanced analytics CMHockey has ran on twitter. Feel like I’m arguing with 2014. The landscape has changed. Also has more to do with league culture than anything.

NitroF

Feb 6, 2006
Not saying AHL is better than other leagues, but most 18-19 yo playing in the AHL would be pretty competitive players in many other pro leagues.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
At the same age, Eichel was slightly better than Fantilli in terms of raw skill. But he also possessed a superior hockey IQ and had a little more room to mature his game. Fantilli is a refined man-child who doesn't have a huge "next level" but he will still end up a stud in the NHL. He's ready now and will make a decent impact immediately.

Either way, in 4-5 years (at most), Michkov will be a more impactful and exciting NHL player than Fantilli and anyone else in the 23 draft, outside of maybe Bedard. We know how incredible Bedard will be, and I think Michkov won't be far behind him... they'll both leave the rest in the dust. There's zero doubt that Michkov will be "Jagr-ish" in the fact that we'll soon be hearing, "How did six teams pass on him?!" for decades. The only exception will be the Blackhawks.
Agree with most of this but the Jagr thing is bunk, teams didn't really know the future of the iron curtain and hindsight is 20-20 here.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

This is simplistic as development, at least to me, is predicated by playing meaningful MPG in as many situations as possible to gain experience.

The difference between the KHL and AHL top to bottom isn't as big of a deal as some are making it out to be here.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Of course Montreal isn't a small market, but it's really not close to the size of Philly. According to Wikipedia...

Montreal metro: 4,291,732 and #2 media market in CAN
Philadelphia metro: 6,245,051 and #4 media market in USA
For popularity of hockey Montreal is crazy. They would have loved Michkov there. Star players in Montreal are pretty much worshipped. Michkov would be the number one most popular star in Montreal. I still am surprised they passed on him. Huge mistake. But that means a huge win for Philly.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
This is simplistic as development, at least to me, is predicated by playing meaningful MPG in as many situations as possible to gain experience.

The difference between the KHL and AHL top to bottom isn't as big of a deal as some are making it out to be here.

The point of the AHL is to give prospects ice time often at the expense of competitiveness and winning games. It’s a quasi-development league in no way comparable to the SHL, KHL, etc.

I mean there’s a reason, in general, only young Russians are willing to play there, and the very best typically avoid it like the plague. The quality isn't very good and neither are the amenities nor pay.

But were getting off topic. Im done. Back to Michkov,

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyguyOX

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The point of the AHL is to give prospects ice time often at the expense of competitiveness and winning games. It’s a quai-development league in no way comparable to the SHL, KHL, etc.

I mean there’s a reason, in general, only young Russians are willing to play there, and the best ones have KHL reassignment clauses to avoid the AHL. The quality isn't very good and neither is the pay.
Michkov won’t even sniff an AHL arena. He will step into the Flyer’s lineup as they’re 1C and be an instant superstar.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Here’s a short example. This shot Michkov takes on this 2v1 looks kinda soft tbh. If he gets more power or a quicker release on that it’s probably going in. Like why can I clearly see the puck the entire time it's in the air

Reactions: tnfrs

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Michkov won’t even sniff an AHL arena. He will step into the Flyer’s lineup as they’re 1C and be an instant superstar.
I dont think he starts as 1C right away, hes still not 1C for SKA. He'll need to get stronger over the next few off seasons to battle with NHL centers, right now he would get bullied he's just too small and NHL centers are too good at tying up sticks and winning body position in draws. He'll get there eventually though. Im hoping they keep Cutter at wing if Michkov's going to be a center though, he's a perfect winger for Matty Moscow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad