RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
Should always be best available, all the time. You can always trade the player but the reality is that roster turnovers for most team are insanely high that you cant even know which player will be on your team in 3 years.

in 3 years the Habs lost Price, Weber, Petry, Toffoli, Drouin, Tatar, Danault, Perry, Kotkaniemi, Byron, Lehkonen, Kulak, Edmundson, Romanov, Chiarot, Mete.

So pretty much your franchise goaltender, 7 defensemans and 8 forwards. That's a full hockey club really.

Aside from your top 3-4 core players that you probably want to sign long-term, the rest might be there for only a couple of years.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Michkov moving to C may really put a damper on all these genius prospect experts who claim he is a one dimensional defensive liability.

tim-heidecker-and-eric-shrug.gif
Michkov has always had a better defensive game than Bedard

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
It’s sickening as a fan of a team in the same division as the Flyers.

You think Fantilli or Carlsson worry me? Of course not. Michkov will own my team, and I know it.
At least Flyers were dumb enough to draft Bonk and leave you Perreault who will be a top line 40 goal scoring winger most of his prime years.

Perreault was just as big a steal as Michkov and Benson were with where he fell

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Should always be best available, all the time. You can always trade the player but the reality is that roster turnovers for most team are insanely high that you cant even know which player will be on your team in 3 years.

in 3 years the Habs lost Price, Weber, Petry, Toffoli, Drouin, Tatar, Danault, Perry, Kotkaniemi, Byron, Lehkonen, Kulak, Edmundson, Romanov, Chiarot, Mete.

So pretty much your franchise goaltender, 7 defensemans and 8 forwards. That's a full hockey club really.

Aside from your top 3-4 core players that you probably want to sign long-term, the rest might be there for only a couple of years.
Best available shouldn't only take into consideration talent. Character has to be considered. And in Michkov's case being Russian. Some teams may have no interest in Russians that high in the draft currently.

• Haha
Reactions: FlyguyOX

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago

Philly drafts defensman before Montreal steals Caufield.

2023, Montreal takes defensman before Philly steals Michkov.

Pretty much sums it up.
Montreal robbed Philly of a couple dollars, Caufield isn't that much better than York.

Philly took Habs for a few stacks

It’s really not better now. Not sure it’s the second best league anymore.
It not not be better now than then but it is without doubt the second best league

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I have never said that Michkov is a bad prospect or that he will be a bust. It never happened. What I have said is that his draft season was not as impressive as you would expect from a prospect of his hype and that KHL is not as good as some people want everyone to believe.

Instead of respectful exchange of opinions I only see ridiculous mocking attempts from a cult.

As I have said, in this times we have people who only want to hear some positive news. Anything that can be percieved as negative has to be erased. I mean, you cant make a point about RSL being better than the current KHL, this somehow is attack on Michkov!

So what is this thread? Should I only post praise for the great Michkov here? Should everyone only hail Michkov here? Can we make a thread where it is allowed to be neutral about Michkov and where it is Ok to try to be objective and where the praise happens when he does smth that deserves this praise?

Ps As I have said many times already, he is a phenom, and if he is back on his prodigy track this year I will confirm it without a problem. If you want to argue against my points, you are free to do it.
You can post whatever opinion you want but when you say you don't think he had a great draft year when he had the best draft year in KHL history by a mile, you're going to get called out for it.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Montreal robbed Philly of a couple dollars, Caufield isn't that much better than York.

It not not be better now than then but it is without doubt the second best league
Why is it philly this habs that?

Why not sharks, arizona in the discussion? Heck if he’s the 2nd best player in the draft like some say why not including ducks, columbus?

And yes, a potential 50 goals scorer who excel at scoring 5on5 and even strength in Caufield is better than York.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Why is it philly this habs that?

Why not sharks, arizona in the discussion? Heck if he’s the 2nd best player in the draft like some say why not including ducks, columbus?

And yes, a potential 50 goals scorer who excel at scoring 5on5 and even strength in Caufield is better than York.
he's only scored 53 goals for his career so far lets settle down on labelling him a 50 goal potential guy. i know he hasnt played a full season yet but hes not a 50 goal conversation guy. better than york so far? yes.

Reactions: Devonator

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
he's only scored 53 goals for his career so far lets settle down on labelling him a 50 goal potential guy. i know he hasnt played a full season yet but hes not a 50 goal conversation guy. better than york so far? yes.
I said potential. If there’s a young player other than Bedard and Michkov probably in a couple years who can score 50, it’s him.

He’s a pretty consistent goal scorer right now who paced for around 43 goals had he played the full 82 games last season at 21 years old, and he’ll only get better when the powerplay will improve.

But the main point of my post was about Michkov, the habs are pointed at with the fact they didn’t take him, i don’t see people talking about San josé, Arizona as much?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

? Caufield is miles ahead of York in their personal development and value to their teams

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
there's 0 indication michkov wouldn't play for the habs. Habs met him at the draft and Bobrov has links to his KHL team...
hughes was putting out vapour trails long before the draft that the habs wouldn't take him. People assumed it was Hughes bluffing, but in fact it wasn't.
Putting aside projections and errors and personal opinions, habs brass felt the RD was an area of need and didn't want any more small skilled guys in the top 6. Caufield is there.. Suzuki isn't overly large, Harvey-Pinard, Farrell, Gallagher...Habs management decided they wanted to get bigger -
slafkovsky, Reinbacher, Dach...Xekaj making the team.
Time will tell if they were right, but michkov was never an option and michkov never said he didn't want to play for the habs

lol @ montreal being a small market team. Montreal is a bigger city than philly, generates more revenue and has a larger media presence in two languages
For a guy that was clearly picky with what teams he was willing to play for, I don't know why anyone would be surprised he might not want to play for Montreal.

Doesn't mean it's a bad franchise or bad market, but there are some factors like the language, playing in Canada, and the bonkers media market that plenty of players don't want to deal with. You guys know this, as you are fans of the team and deal with this constantly. It's not a slight. It's reality about the Habs.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
I said potential. If there’s a young player other than Bedard and Michkov probably in a couple years who can score 50, it’s him.

He’s a pretty consistent goal scorer right now who paced for around 43 goals had he played the full 82 games last season at 21 years old, and he’ll only get better when the powerplay will improve.

But the main point of my post was about Michkov, the habs are pointed at with the fact they didn’t take him, i don’t see people talking about San josé, Arizona as much?
i can see where ur coming from the more i looked at caufields numbers, i spoke too soon. considering hes still 22 those are pretty impressive seasons, I thought he was older but I might have been mixing debrincat in. montreal just gets heat for taking a defenseman, and it was amplified when part of the fanbase online started talking shit about reinbacher after the pick. If im montreal I probably dont take another forward listed at 5'10 even if its best player available, especially if im waiting 3 years. reinbacher was the next best pick after those first 4 centers were off the board if youre not willing to risk it on michkov. I consider it a miss by zona and the habs personally but Flyers have the time

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Has anyone noticed that sometimes Michkov's shot looks good and normal, but other times it looks like he's not even trying to shoot it hard? Just kinda flubs it out there. I know that's vague but every now and then his shot velocity looks way lower. But clearly he can rip it when he wants to, given some of the goals he scored with Sochi. So it's interesting

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
You can post whatever opinion you want but when you say you don't think he had a great draft year when he had the best draft year in KHL history by a mile, you're going to get called out for it.
1. I explained why it was not "the best draft year in history by a mile
2.It is meaningless terminolgy , Russia doesn't produce enough talent to compare anyway

Based on what?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
AHL is the second best league.
Nope =-D its not even a third. AHL is a development league with veteran limit. There are no 18-19 yo players with results in euro leagues as they have in AHL. Level of competition, structure of defense and consistentcy of the game in ahl is far away from KHL and SHL. May be AHL is better than Liiga but it’s debatable.

Of course you need to watch games of AHL and euro leagues to understand it. And when you say something like “” you are immediately you make it clear that you cannot evaluate talents and their development.

Last edited:
Reactions: tnfrs and Xirik

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Funny shit:

So Philadelphia picked him.
- What number do you want to play under?
- My usual number, 39. Is it free?
- Well... It's free now.

Btw he said, Bedard sent him words of support when his dad died. They talked to each other at the draft, and Michkov talked to his parents as well, and they invited him to come to their home in Vancouver.

Last edited:

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Funny shit:

So Philadelphia picked him.
- What number do you want to play under?
- My usual number, 39. Is it free?
- Well... It's free now.

Btw he said, Bedard sent him words of support when his dad died. They talked to each other at the draft, and Michkov talked to his parents as well, and they invited him to come to their home in Vancouver.
thats cool as hell, not that I ever thought bad of bedard but that shows a ton of class, good on him and his fam. sucks matveis dad didnt get to see his son play in the NHL or have his name called at draft day but matvei will make him proud. he's winning a gagarin and then a stanley.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
thats cool as hell, not that I ever thought bad of bedard but that shows a ton of class, good on him and his fam. sucks matveis dad didnt get to see his son play in the NHL or have his name called at draft day but matvei will make him proud. he's winning a gagarin and then a stanley.

Yeah, it looks like him and Bedard know each other pretty well, they have phone numbers of each other. He said he congratulated Connor when Canada won the WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad