RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
I’m sorry I’m dying the hype is getting sooo out of hand. Am I the only one who sees that these plays are nothing special?

Not that michkov isn’t a special player but this reminds me of parents who obsess over the kids. Michkov could make a cross ice saucer pass and this guy would find a way to sensationalize it
its not really sensational to appreciate a top rated prospect. he does a really good job highlighting things about michkov's game that maybe dont get noticed as much as the goals and dipsy doodles.

staveNsteel

Jan 18, 2021
McCagg is first and foremost a Habs fan.

If the Habs drafted Michkov he'd be singing a different tune no doubt.

I was listening to this episode at the gym this past week, and was getting frustrated with his reasoning. He doesn't have blazing speed (we know that, he never did, but that's not part of his game). He's 5'10" (so what, he's built like a fire hydrant). He isn't great defensively (from what I saw I'm parts this preseason, he's working well to get back and help out). He isn't built like a playoff forward (who cares, not all players on NHL teams are 6'4"). He was also saying that all defenders in the KHL are weak and he's never been tested against good defenders (dumb take).

Overall, he just wants to justify the Reinbacher pick.. that's fine.. I'm a Habs fan, wanted Michkov at 5.. I'll trust the Reinbacher pick (as much as I would have taken a handful of players over him).. but apparently McCagg never learned in school that to persuade someone to see your point of view, you don't have to put the other thing down. (ex. McDonald's is the best because Burger King's fries aren't as good). No, tell me why McDonald's is good.. tell me why Reinbacher was the right pick without putting Michkov down!

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I’m sorry I’m dying the hype is getting sooo out of hand. Am I the only one who sees that these plays are nothing special?

Not that michkov isn’t a special player but this reminds me of parents who obsess over the kids. Michkov could make a cross ice saucer pass and this guy would find a way to sensationalize it
This is something called, like .. scouting. You know.. NHL amateur scouts do the same thing in their actual jobs. That play is a fantastic display of talent in many ways. But maybe you just watch highlight videos

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana and tnfrs

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I was listening to this episode at the gym this past week, and was getting frustrated with his reasoning. He doesn't have blazing speed (we know that, he never did, but that's not part of his game). He's 5'10" (so what, he's built like a fire hydrant). He isn't great defensively (from what I saw I'm parts this preseason, he's working well to get back and help out). He isn't built like a playoff forward (who cares, not all players on NHL teams are 6'4"). He was also saying that all defenders in the KHL are weak and he's never been tested against good defenders (dumb take).

Overall, he just wants to justify the Reinbacher pick.. that's fine.. I'm a Habs fan, wanted Michkov at 5.. I'll trust the Reinbacher pick (as much as I would have taken a handful of players over him).. but apparently McCagg never learned in school that to persuade someone to see your point of view, you don't have to put the other thing down. (ex. McDonald's is the best because Burger King's fries aren't as good). No, tell me why McDonald's is good.. tell me why Reinbacher was the right pick without putting Michkov down!
100% agree , unless grant has insider info he's not telling us , I'm not buying his schtick

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
This is something called, like .. scouting. You know.. NHL amateur scouts do the same thing in their actual jobs. That play is a fantastic display of talent in many ways. But maybe you just watch highlight videos

Well he's reacting to an highlight video, I wouldnt call watching a 10 sec video scouting by any mean.

1st video is great (maybe lucky too) but the 2nd is really meh. He gets a puck on the board and beat a slow dman (who pivots on the wrong side by the way). Type of play you see every game.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Finally. Great take. The pathetic attempts of the part of Montreal fanbase to harsh on Michkov are not smart. At the same time, Reinbach is a wonderful prospect and people need to rejoice in him and discuss him, and not try to justify Michkov's choice with fairy tales about his bad character and problems with the game.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Rotenberg is trying hard that Michkov will not fulfill his contract with SKA. The same shit as with the national team. I bet this is the last season Michkov playing for SKA.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Well he's reacting to an highlight video, I wouldnt call watching a 10 sec video scouting by any mean.

1st video is great (maybe lucky too) but the 2nd is really meh. He gets a puck on the board and beat a slow dman (who pivots on the wrong side by the way). Type of play you see every game.
I watch every shift and pull things I think are significant but wouldn't be in highlight videos

Reactions: tnfrs

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
theres always something positive happening when Michkovs on the ice, the pucks is almost never going the wrong way. batted that puck out of of the air in the neutral zone and then 9 seconds later was battling for possession in the offensive zone and off the strength of that shift the next line on scored off the faceoff

Reactions: FlyguyOX and Unger9

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
theres always something positive happening when Michkovs on the ice, the pucks is almost never going the wrong way. batted that puck out of of the air in the neutral zone and then 9 seconds later was battling for possession in the offensive zone and off the strength of that shift the next line on scored off the faceoff
When he was drafted him I didn't know him well enough to think he would be able to drive a line. From what I've seen he certainly will be able to drive possession

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
When he was drafted him I didn't know him well enough to think he would be able to drive a line. From what I've seen he certainly will be able to drive possession
Ya i barely watched him last year until the last handful of games and I was really only looking for the offense but now that im paying more attention theres so much more detail to his game to appreciate, hes still learning where his coverage is in the defensive zone and hes not always where he needs to be there but he's still figuring that out but hes definitely not just a goal scorer

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This isn't only a problem at SKA, but I think SKA often believes they are more important in the hockey world than they actually are.

They are the best team outside of the NHL, but it's still a team with a lot of has-beens that never succeeded in the NHL or weren't good enough to give it a shot over there. They should realize their place in the hockey world. Michkov will likely be one of the best players to ever play for SKA when his hockey career is over. He's ready to play in the KHL. He proved it with Sochi last season. Let him off the leash. The rest of your players are pretty much nobodies compared to him. It'd be like if the Hawks decided Bedard was going to be their 3rd line center this season with PP2 time because he's less proven than Johnson and Dickinson. If it's going to hurt his progression to play regularly in this league, I get it, but Michkov is very easily a regular top 6 KHL'er, and deserves the runway to prove how well he can do.

They've done this before too with other prospects. They had Buchnevich as a 13th forward once he had already done well with another KHL team and now he's like a top 13 player at his position in the world. They had Shestyorkin as the second string goalie for two years to Mikko f***ing Koskinen and now he's second string in the world to no one. I would've understood their posture on Michkov two years ago, but last season I found it excessive and this season it's absolutely ridiculous. He's your best player. Let him be that and don't screw that up.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
They are the best team outside of the NHL, but it's still a team with a lot of has-beens that never succeeded in the NHL or weren't good enough to give it a shot over there. They should realize their place in the hockey world.

Don't be so West-centric. The NHL isn't be-all and end-all. KHL guys are still rockstars in their league, their country and make a heck of a living.

Michkov will be fine and will get his minutes.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don't be so West-centric. The NHL isn't be-all and end-all. KHL guys are still rockstars in their league, their country and make a heck of a living.

Michkov will be fine and will get his minutes.
I mentioned Bedard too and how the Hawks shouldn't do it in the NHL. Doesn't matter the league. Don't put bums ahead of players who have superstar potential and are ready to play at that level.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
This isn't only a problem at SKA, but I think SKA often believes they are more important in the hockey world than they actually are.

They are the best team outside of the NHL, but it's still a team with a lot of has-beens that never succeeded in the NHL or weren't good enough to give it a shot over there. They should realize their place in the hockey world. Michkov will likely be one of the best players to ever play for SKA when his hockey career is over. He's ready to play in the KHL. He proved it with Sochi last season. Let him off the leash. The rest of your players are pretty much nobodies compared to him. It'd be like if the Hawks decided Bedard was going to be their 3rd line center this season with PP2 time because he's less proven than Johnson and Dickinson. If it's going to hurt his progression to play regularly in this league, I get it, but Michkov is very easily a regular top 6 KHL'er, and deserves the runway to prove how well he can do.

They've done this before too with other prospects. They had Buchnevich as a 13th forward once he had already done well with another KHL team and now he's like a top 13 player at his position in the world. They had Shestyorkin as the second string goalie for two years to Mikko f***ing Koskinen and now he's second string in the world to no one. I would've understood their posture on Michkov two years ago, but last season I found it excessive and this season it's absolutely ridiculous. He's your best player. Let him be that and don't screw that up.
They are not second best team. And they are pretty young to be good in nhl. And they were year ago

About second bullsh1t part, they forgot to ask you. Young players always inconsistent. And KHL teams playing for win, not for developing players for two years and send them to nhl for thanks. If the player is deserving to play and consistent as 200 foot player for his role, he will play. If not, he will face limited role and minutes. Its okay to score and lose in sochi, its not in ska. And if young player is good, he is playing - Khusnutdinov and Nikishin are actual examples.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad