RW Jordan Dumais - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2022, 96th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
He will be a star in the NHL someday, his offensive IQ is beyond elite. He processes the game many steps ahead of his peers and, even though the slow footspeed, slowing the game down (crossing over going in straight lines or playing in peripheries) sort of give him even more of an advantage to find lane/opportunities with his superior vision. He obviously won't be able to dominate as much in the NHL, but the talent is high enough that he will be able to translate some of it, and that will be very high end.

For 99% of players, his play style would be inefficient, but his IQ is so high that sort of doing the opposite of what is expected give him a greater edge than playing a typical style of hockey (otherwise he would be easy to counter because of the limited tools).

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Unsurprisingly ineffective at the WJC.

I missed the first two periods today, when Dumais was apparently shaky.

When I watched, he was setting up teammates in good position like he normally does. Not his fault that Fraser Minten can't bury a good setup.

The real encouraging for me from watching Dumais has been that he's been stealing pucks very frequently. The guy can forecheck.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Dude has been insanely frustrating. Buzzing around the puck but has refused to take open ice to go to the net and passed on multiple glorious opportunities today.

Reactions: Eegs

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Dude has been insanely frustrating. Buzzing around the puck but has refused to take open ice to go to the net and passed on multiple glorious opportunities today.
Yeah puck is a grenade on his stick, not holding it for any amount of time. He did make a few beautiful passes though and he looked better when not held back with Minten on his line. Id either say play him with Savoie-Geekie or Celebrini-Rehkopf

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Don’t know your post history or thoughts on this player so I assume this is sarcasm.
Locke dominated the OHL like 15 yrs ago with a small stature and below average skating. Dumais is dominating the Q in 2023 with a small stature and average skating.

My point is that it will be tougher for Dumais as he reaches the pros, unless he finds an extra gear to his skating and slacks on the turnovers under pressure.

Last edited:

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Locke dominated the OHL like 15 yrs ago with a small stature and below average skating. Dumais is dominating the Q in 2023 with a small stature and average skating.

My point is that it will to be tougher for Dumais as he reaches the pros, unless he finds an extra gear to his skating and slacks on the turnovers under pressure.
Of course it will be tough for Dumais as a smaller stature player without high-end skating to progress at the next level. Everyone knows that.

But Locke was a massive long-shot to start with and shouldn’t be compared to Dumais too closely. Locke didn’t even put up a point per game as a draft eligible, he had a pathetic 43 points in 55 games. No surprise he didn’t even get drafted in 9 rounds in 2002! Then he had a massive increase in his draft +1 and +2 seasons. Big whoop, add him to the list of players that is a million names long. Could be a late bloomer but likely nothing. Turned out nothing, which was always the most likely result.

Dumais on the other hand put up 109 points in 68 games as a draft eligible player. He is on a completely different level as a prospect compared to Locke, having had huge success at age 17 in a great Halifax program. He might work out and he might not but don’t compare him to a someone that was always a vastly inferior prospect.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Of course it will be tough for Dumais as a smaller stature player without high-end skating to progress at the next level. Everyone knows that.

But Locke was a massive long-shot to start with and shouldn’t be compared to Dumais too closely. Locke didn’t even put up a point per game as a draft eligible, he had a pathetic 43 points in 55 games. No surprise he didn’t even get drafted in 9 rounds in 2002! Then he had a massive increase in his draft +1 and +2 seasons. Big whoop, add him to the list of players that is a million names long. Could be a late bloomer but likely nothing. Turned out nothing, which was always the most likely result.

Dumais on the other hand put up 109 points in 68 games as a draft eligible player. He is on a completely different level as a prospect compared to Locke, having had huge success at age 17 in a great Halifax program. He might work out and he might not but don’t compare him to a someone that was always a vastly inferior prospect.
The players are eerily similar in my opinion. From how they play, their stature, to the stats they put up, to even how they both were percieved by the casual fan vs how actual amateur scouts perceived them. almost uncanny.

Reactions: wetcoast

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
The players are eerily similar in my opinion. From how they play, their stature, to the stats they put up, to even how they both were percieved by the casual fan vs how actual amateur scouts perceived them. almost uncanny.
Lol. You weren’t even alive when Locke was a prospect.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
He's the sort of guy you just don't get too excited about until if/when you see him dominate in the AHL.
Even then, you have Jason krog types who can be stars in the AHL but once they make the NHL they aren't good enough to do that, and can't adapt to play a depth role either.

I'm not sure what we've got with Dumais, he's never really stood out to me in my many live viewings but the numbers are astounding.

I hope he proves a lot of people wrong but those questioning his NHL upside are valid IMO

Reactions: Goose of Reason

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto

your entire argument is draft year production as proof that Dumais is a vastly superior prospect, but then fully gloss over Locke’s D+1 year as a ‘big whoop’. Really bizarre post.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
your entire argument is draft year production as proof that Dumais is a vastly superior prospect, but then fully gloss over Locke’s D+1 year as a ‘big whoop’. Really bizarre post.
Please enlighten me then.

UnimatrixZero

Dec 7, 2019
I dont get those saying he's ineffective when he makes beautiful feeds and linemates miss. He has also caused a few turnovers. I concurr he should opt to shoot more when I seen his games with the Moose he has a good % converting goals. others converted on his passes people would laud him as the hero. Now imagine Fantilli receiving those passes. As long as he commits to playing D Ithink he will be fine. And I see he's putting that effort in the world juniors.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Don’t worry, he’s way too good for the QMJHL and deserves to play in the AHL as he proved at the World Juniors.

In all seriousness though, he didn’t live up to expectations at all. He should have been among the tournament’s leading scorers if he is as good as some think. He couldn’t keep up with the pace of play. And that is only going to be exploited more in the NHL as a small player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad