RW Jordan Dumais - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2022, 96th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Of course folks are scapegoating hard here. Dumais is going to have haters until he proves it in the pros.

You'd hope Dumais would have scored more, he was gripping the stick hard and not shooting like he normally does.

But all tournament he was still taking pucks off opponent's sticks and putting it on teammate's sticks. He wasn't behind the play, there wasn't a skating problem. He just didn't score enough.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Of course folks are scapegoating hard here. Dumais is going to have haters until he proves it in the pros.
Easy player to scapegoat as he’s an offense only little guy that didn’t produce any offense. Maybe it’s not fair to write him off but he was definitely a big part of why Canada was not a good team in this particular world juniors even aside from this particular loss.

Reactions: wetcoast

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

You'd hope Dumais would have scored more, he was gripping the stick hard and not shooting like he normally does.

But all tournament he was still taking pucks off opponent's sticks and putting it on teammate's sticks. He wasn't behind the play, there wasn't a skating problem. He just didn't score enough.
He ran into the same issues he did in the post season with Halifax which is a concern. He either makes one play too many or takes a little too long to complete the play. This works really well against lesser junior players (clearly), but when he gets against better competition that are at his skill level he can be fairly contained.

Definitely has some work to do in his game.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Dumais scores a lot of points in juniors and when he doesn't score the same in the WJC he "sucks". He was being overrated for his point totals in the Q and now he's being crapped on because Canada didn't win the gold.........even though his overall game seems to have improved.

As a CBJ fan I would have loved to see him score at will but he didn't. I also believe as others that he was mostly underwhelming in this tournament (which has been similar to my viewings at many CBJ training camps I've seen him participate in). I also question if he will ever have the strength and skating ability to play in the NHL. But saying he sucks or believing that he is not going to be able to translate that to the top level is a bit premature right now. Only time will tell on that.

Canadians overall must accept that their prior dominance in the WJC is over for many reasons that are not in their control. Hockey is more popular now than ever before and thus more people are playing hockey. There are many more talented players in the overall hockey pool across the entire world than ever before. Other countries hockey programs have made improvements and are getting better and team Canada doesn't always get their best players due to some players who would qualify for the WJC are already playing in the NHL and their NHL teams won't release them to play.

I still have the same tempered excitement for him as a prospect and still hope that he eventually brings it to the CBJ.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Dumais scores a lot of points in juniors and when he doesn't score the same in the WJC he "sucks". He was being overrated for his point totals in the Q and now he's being crapped on because Canada didn't win the gold.........even though his overall game seems to have improved.

As a CBJ fan I would have loved to see him score at will but he didn't. I also believe as others that he was mostly underwhelming in this tournament (which has been similar to my viewings at many CBJ training camps I've seen him participate in). I also question if he will ever have the strength and skating ability to play in the NHL. But saying he sucks or believing that he is not going to be able to translate that to the top level is a bit premature right now. Only time will tell on that.

Canadians overall must accept that their prior dominance in the WJC is over for many reasons that are not in their control. Hockey is more popular now than ever before and thus more people are playing hockey. There are many more talented players in the overall hockey pool across the entire world than ever before. Other countries hockey programs have made improvements and are getting better and team Canada doesn't always get their best players due to some players who would qualify for the WJC are already playing in the NHL and their NHL teams won't release them to play.

I still have the same tempered excitement for him as a prospect and still hope that he eventually brings it to the CBJ.
He'll have to put in significant work in the A like Conor Garland did. Coming out of the Q to the A is a much more difficult jump than from other junior leagues. Garland had to redevelop his game in order to make it. Interested to see how long it takes for Dumais to get adjusted to pro once he makes that jump.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He'll have to put in significant work in the A like Conor Garland did. Coming out of the Q to the A is a much more difficult jump than from other junior leagues. Garland had to redevelop his game in order to make it. Interested to see how long it takes for Dumais to get adjusted to pro once he makes that jump.
Exactly. I’ve made this comparison a few times in both players as they played a very similar game in junior, although Garland needed a crane to be taken off the ice in offensive situations and didn’t know what defense even meant.

Garland was utterly useless trying that same game in the AHL and good for him to clueing in that his game needed drastic changing. If I were Dumais, I’d be doing everything I can to get onto the ice with Garland in the off season and learn from him.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He ran into the same issues he did in the post season with Halifax which is a concern. He either makes one play too many or takes a little too long to complete the play. This works really well against lesser junior players (clearly), but when he gets against better competition that are at his skill level he can be fairly contained.

Definitely has some work to do in his game.

It's been a while but my recollection from last Spring was that he played through a shoulder injury, not sure if it was the same thing that eventually took him out of the lineup. I'm not saying there weren't other issues though.

Exactly. I’ve made this comparison a few times in both players as they played a very similar game in junior, although Garland needed a crane to be taken off the ice in offensive situations and didn’t know what defense even meant.

Garland was utterly useless trying that same game in the AHL and good for him to clueing in that his game needed drastic changing. If I were Dumais, I’d be doing everything I can to get onto the ice with Garland in the off season and learn from him.

I watched Dumais closely this tournament and it was his defensive game that looked much improved. He was first on the backcheck and often breaking up plays, stealing pucks.

This isn't the best example, I don't suppose anyone is clipping simple takeaways, but you can see the end of his takeaway on this Rehkopf goal:

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It's been a while but my recollection from last Spring was that he played through a shoulder injury, not sure if it was the same thing that eventually took him out of the lineup. I'm not saying there weren't other issues though.

I watched Dumais closely this tournament and it was his defensive game that looked much improved. He was first on the backcheck and often breaking up plays, stealing pucks.

This isn't the best example, I don't suppose anyone is clipping simple takeaways, but you can see the end of his takeaway on this Rehkopf goal:

Yeah I really like Dumais as a prospect and he absolutely has potential to be a top 6 player as his skill is off the charts, but he needs to simplify his game a bit and just move the puck faster. There’s players with vastly lower point totals with more NHL potential at this point in time.

Hopefully it’ll come

Last edited:
Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
None should put too much weight on what happens at WJC.

There are cases where a player has played superb, scored tons
but never made it to the NHL, or as a regular NHLer, or didn't score much.

Also, there are cases where a player sucked, didn't score at all, or not much
but had a great NHL career, became a star.

Those who are dissing Dumais because he had a bad short international
tournament, haven't watched either enough hockey as it is, or not seen
enough of Dumais all together, because..

All the tools (and a toolbox) are there, don't ya worry, some question his skating,
well its not and will not be an issue, trust me on that.

Jordan Dumais just is that good, he will become a star at NHL level.

Selyanin

#StammerTime
May 2, 2014
The North

All the tools (and a toolbox) are there, don't ya worry, some question his skating,

I trust you George.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

As someone who has seen him a ton at the Junior level, his game is it is now will not translate well to the NHL

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I watch all of his junior games. One thing I noticed was that the system that the Canadian team was running offensively was not close to the system that the Mooseheads run. It looked to me that he couldn’t get to his comfortable areas on the ice due to the bigger surface. A lot of the Q teams have very poor defensive systems. Not the same in international play

Reactions: slumpy43

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
As someone who has seen him a ton at the Junior level, his game is it is now will not translate well to the NHL
I feel he has very good potential but he lacks the dedication to bettering his defense and getting stronger...IMO he should be using Junior hockey right now to better his defense as it is a league he is comfortable in and knows he can dominate. Knowing he has to work on those things and coming back to Halifax and playing his offensive style has a little concerning aspect to how much he really wants it.....

all that said, he has tons of skill, he needs AHL time for sure, and it would not shock me if he turned out to be a good player...all the talent is there for sure.

as for the world juniors for anyone putting him down...almost everyone had a disappointing World Juniors, Celebrini was excellent in the tournament but I also thought Dumais showed some great ability to create and he made some real nice plays in the tournament but his linemates did not finish on them, I personally feel he played not bad.

Reactions: E D and Tube Skates

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I feel he has very good potential but he lacks the dedication to bettering his defense and getting stronger...IMO he should be using Junior hockey right now to better his defense as it is a league he is comfortable in and knows he can dominate. Knowing he has to work on those things and coming back to Halifax and playing his offensive style has a little concerning aspect to how much he really wants it.....

all that said, he has tons of skill, he needs AHL time for sure, and it would not shock me if he turned out to be a good player...all the talent is there for sure.

as for the world juniors for anyone putting him down...almost everyone had a disappointing World Juniors, Celebrini was excellent in the tournament but I also thought Dumais showed some great ability to create and he made some real nice plays in the tournament but his linemates did not finish on them, I personally feel he played not bad.

I think it was in a Scott Wheeler piece in The Athletic where they have several folks in Halifax praising how sneaky strong Dumais is. He's supposedly one of their strongest, or maybe it was the strongest guy in the gym. I don't blame folks for not seeing that game to game though, he's a small player. But I thought he won a lot of puck battles and looked good in that aspect, at least based on this tournament it looked like he put the work in defensively.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Something brought up on our board by another poster. Probably just an excuse for his WJC performance im sure. But for real if hes physically struggling bad with hip issues it could make his play more impressive. Curious to see what comes of it. Id be curious as to why he and the team havent taken steps sooner or maybe they did and things have just gotten worse

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Wow no wonder he looked so bad at the WJC.

Double hip and sports hernia surgery required.

Ugh this is not looking good for his career.

All the best to the young man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad